Author Topic: Slight problem  (Read 4190 times)

Offline wal1809

Slight problem
« on: August 06, 2012, 06:20:33 AM »
I have two problems I have to get worked out before me and the bus see the open highway again.

Black tank.  It is coming out of there and a new one is going in before I go onthe road again.  Whoever did the conversion dropped the toilet pipe thought the fllor to a 90 elbow,  the pipe then goes 3 feet to another 90 elbow and has a vertical drop to the black tank.  So to make this a short explanation the black tank vents into the bus.  Aghhhhhh!  Not doing that again.  It has never been a problem before as I would park wherever and clean it before leaving.  I did a 1000 mile turn around this weekend.  No place to clean it out.

I am going to buy a new poly tank and get rid of the old one.  THe old one is very long and narrow.  I want 30 gallon and as cubical as possible.  I want a spray rig inside to clean it. 

The question is what other parts do I need to buy and where?  I heard Clifford talking about a flapper one time on another thread.
1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com

Offline TomC

Re: Slight problem
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 12:55:37 PM »
Go to www.ronco-plastics.com to view the many tanks they have.  I used marine tanks since many are rectangular.  I didn't tell them which one was a black tanks-if you do-they make the tank with carbon black in the plastic so you can't see inside.  I wanted to see the level since I don't use tank gauges.
When you have them spin weld the fittings, on the 3" use a screw fitting-works better then a slip fitting.  And don't worry about if the tank is made specifically for black or not. Just have them install the 3" drain as close to the bottom as possible.  Granted it doesn't drain all the way, but rinsing a couple of times when dumping works.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Tenor

• Three Men and a Tenor
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 01:05:44 PM »
 Wal,
I think in another post you mentioned that you don't have a vent for the black tank.  That will take care of your issues!  There have been many acrimonious posts about how to vent the fumes, and they are easy to find in the search mode.  I was able to route my black tank vent through the fridge cabinetry, then out a hole I made in the fridge vent roof.  One less hole in the bus!  My grey tank is vented into the wheel well on the curb side.  I know that is not code.  That is the side we live outside of, and we have never had an issue of odor.  I wouldn't recommend that for a black tank I think.  The risks of smell occurring after all of that work to install are too much in my book.  FWIW!

Glenn
Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer

Offline smokedetector

Re: Re: Slight problem
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 02:17:12 PM »
Tenor,

Do you have a propane fridge? If so, venting the black tank into the same vent sounds dangerous to me.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
Jon Morgan
Athens, GA

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 03:19:41 PM »
If your toilet doesn't hold water in bowl it will also leak gas into bus. outside vaccum from driving will suck odor into coach.  can replace rubber on valve or valve.  tank vent helps then odor has no reason to try to enter bus.  short term fix on leaking toilet slide valve--put a little grease on it..or clean it.  did not say it was desirable job!
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline rwc

• No longer will be Now AM
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 03:23:45 PM »
Must Vent Black tank in some fashion. Otherwise you will deal with odor even if water seals works wheb you flush odor will enter. Rod

Offline Tenor

• Three Men and a Tenor
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 04:11:31 PM »
Smoke detector,
The vent (2 in PVC iirc) runs through the cabinet all the way out of the roof. Shouldn't be any issue.

Glenn
Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
8v71
4 speed Spicer

Offline wal1809

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 04:53:19 PM »
I have decided on a rectangle poly see through as Tom mentioned.  So other than venting is there any other parts I need to buy other than the pipe and fittings.  I have no valve on there now, only the flapper you can see in the bottom of the bowl.
www.snakebreaker.com

Offline Tenor

• Three Men and a Tenor
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 05:58:54 PM »
You should just need your fittings and a dump valve, unless you can recycle the old one.  Sounds like you are good to go! (If you know what I mean! ;D)

Glenn
Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
8v71
4 speed Spicer

Offline Kwajdiver

• MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 06:14:14 PM »
My grey tank (black and grey combined) can be drain for either side of the bus. That has really come in handy a few times.

Bill
Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 08:50:03 PM »
Tenor I am not eating salad or drinking any milk out of your refrig, Lol

Wal you might have a 3 inch screw fitting put in top where you can get a hose in to flucsh it out from outside reaching into bay. We have one on the top so after I dump the tank , to really clean it out, I unscrew the plug cap and spray  out the inside with one of those snake thingys with the prop at the bottom that spins and sprays.

Dave5Cs 8)
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline wal1809

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 01:50:06 PM »
Dave I definately want to do the clean out access.  I want to be able to clean it completely without guessing.  One of the problems with the black tank in mine now is it is long and narrow.  There is no way of knowing if your getting all the stuff out from the other end.  I made a pvc sprinkler that hooks to the water hose and I usually leave it spray for about 20 minutes after dumping the tank.  Obviously it aint good enough. 
www.snakebreaker.com

Offline wal1809

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 02:03:58 PM »
kwajdriver, how many gallons is that tank?  I wouldn't mind going black and gray but before when I had them hook to one tank we could only get 1 or 2 days before we had to dump.  I have a 55 gallon gray now and want to do a 35 gallon black.

Most of the places we park at are private lands and we can run a hose from the gray tank out to the ground and let her rip.  We dump our black tank in the pasture at home.  Before too long I am going to build a homemade septic tank outside the barn and have a permanent pipe inside the barn to hook the black too.  That way I can back up to the door, hit the bus with a pressure washer and back it in.  I have shore power in the barn and I will be able to just hook up the black and let her fly.
www.snakebreaker.com

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 03:32:14 PM »
Bill,

You forgot to mention that your bus was for sale ;)
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline Kwajdiver

• MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 04:57:30 PM »
My tanks are 120 gallons each.  If you look closely in the top photo. You'll see a white PVC pipe going down through the floor.  I have the option of dumping the grey water to the ground.  If I dump to the ground, one or two people can go awhile before you have to dump the tank.

Bill
This bus is for sale!    ???
Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal