Author Topic: Winter road trip - south of the border  (Read 2238 times)

Offline Gary Hatt - Publisher BCM

• Publisher - BCM
  • Administrator
    • Bus Conversion Magazine
Re: Winter road trip - south of the border
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2023, 03:18:14 PM »
Gary - you were right, the winter trip is sold out. That is a big group, pluses and minuses. Understand there is safety in numbers and group wisdom but a small group is able to stay in smaller parks. But until one experiences it first hand, it's very difficult to know what you like the best. I'm on the wait list, will see.

It didn't really sell out but they closed Registration prematurely and we don't understand why. Last year when I was Wagonmaster, it sold out in 1 hr and 18 minutes but this year there was not very much promotion for the trip, so not as many people got excited about the trip and some people that had planned to go, did not like the way it was set up.  Generally Registration stays open into January or until it fills up.  They expected 70 rigs this year, but they closed down Registration at 45 rigs and they do not have a wait list this year, which is very unusual as well.

70 rigs is a lot, but I always tried to take as many people as the places we were visiting could hold as more and more people want to experience traveling in Mexico.  Smaller groups are prefered by many.  But several groups go to Mexico every spring, so there are a lot of options. 

If you want to go on the Chapter 8 trip, you can try again next year.  Like I said, you should be able to sign up until December or January as a rule.

There is safety in numbers, but I have no problem traveling in Mexico alone and several of my friends do as well, and we never have any problems.  I feel safer in most places in Baja, then I do in some parts of big cities in this country.  I feel safe walking around in Encenada, Puerto Penasco, Puerto Vallarta, etc. at night alone, but I would never dare to walk around downtown NYC, some parts of LA, Boston, or Chicago alone at night. 
1967 Eagle with Series 60 Power Plant
Gary@BusConversionMagazine.com

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2023, 03:55:01 PM »
LOL now Americans are worth a billion each ,you may be in bad shape with bus people coming up with a billion to bail your @$# out,only Biden has that kind of money 
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Melbo

• MC8 under construction
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2023, 04:03:47 PM »
Clifford,

I have talked to people that use it so it must be fine.  We don't have starlink just Verizon and it treats us pretty well.  Some times the connection is a little slow but I'm ALWAYS a little slow.

Melbo
If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF

Offline windtrader

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2023, 05:45:24 PM »
I am signed up for a one bus caravan and rally to Rocky Point.  I have the bus and didn't have to pay a membership fee.  No rally fee and I get to plan what the meal is and what time it is served.  We take daily excursions to special activities all planned and arranged by me and the rally coordinator.  However we will be staying at Playa De Oro and will have to put up with the bad cell and internet service.

Melbo and Billie
I'm looking into going solo. It seems Rocky Point is an easy cruise and likely uneventful. Lots of gringos and services catering to americans. This destination seems easy on the scale.
What would be really nice is finding dry camping along the coast, places with good access and parking where a bus is not going to get stuck. I've seen videos of places where they go solo but I'd feel way safer if there were at least a few others to have some sense of increased security in numbers.

Don F
1976 MCI/TMC MC-8 #1286
Fully converted
Bought 2017

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2023, 08:09:45 PM »
Mel does Starlink work down south ?

It worked great at our house in Melaque last winter. I don't like the price but the service is wonderful. 
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline someguy

• In the planning stages of converting an E/J4500.
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2023, 02:04:06 AM »
I really enjoyed this thread, especially your comments, Gary.

I've always wanted to RV in Mexico but never have.   Thanks to this thread I plan to do it with the Escapees someday.

• Publisher - BCM
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2023, 04:53:00 AM »
I returned from Puerto Penasco just last week and while I was down there I had three sides of my bus paint touched up.  They will paint a bus in the RV park for $6,000, much less than you will pay up here and you can sit on the beach and drink Margaritas while they are working on it.  They also have a shop where they will paint it for less, as they do not have to pay a portion to the RV Park. But it is nice to be able to sit on the beach front RV park while you are there.

A friend of mine is leaving there today after paying $3,800 to have the blistering paint and clear coat redone on 60% of his motorhome and the entire roof painted and two stress cracks repaired.  He also had four places on his coach repaired that were damaged.  He is very happy with the job.

This is something to consider if you need your rig painted and they are only about an hour and a half south of the border of Arizona.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2023, 08:57:47 AM »
I returned from Puerto Penasco just last week and while I was down there I had three sides of my bus paint touched up.  They will paint a bus in the RV park for $6,000, much less than you will pay up here and you can sit on the beach and drink Margaritas while they are working on it.  They also have a shop where they will paint it for less, as they do not have to pay a portion to the RV Park. But it is nice to be able to sit on the beach front RV park while you are there.

A friend of mine is leaving there today after paying $3,800 to have the blistering paint and clear coat redone on 60% of his motorhome and the entire roof painted and two stress cracks repaired.  He also had four places on his coach repaired that were damaged.  He is very happy with the job.

This is something to consider if you need your rig painted and they are only about an hour and a half south of the border of Arizona.

LOL and  I thought I was going to have to take you to the ER for buying 3 =G-31 batteries

Offline Van

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2023, 09:36:21 AM »

LOL and  I thought I was going to have to take you to the ER for buying 3 =G-31 batteries

Did Gary get the good ones? Or did he opt for the bargain basement Playschool batteries? Lol!🤣🤣🤣
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2023, 09:44:52 AM »

Did Gary get the good ones? Or did he opt for the bargain basement Playschool batteries? Lol!🤣🤣🤣

He sprung for the good ones after the guy gave him a deal for buying 3 .He did complain about the weight of the new batteries compared to his $68.00 each batteries he purchased a few years ago, he paid almost as much for 1 as he did for the 3 he replaced 

Offline Van

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2023, 11:33:08 AM »

He sprung for the good ones after the guy gave him a deal for buying 3 .He did complain about the weight of the new batteries compared to his $68.00 each batteries he purchased a few years ago, he paid almost as much for 1 as he did for the 3 he replaced

Atta boy Gary ;)   :^

B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2023, 12:44:25 PM »

Well Clifford ya know a man has to have PRIORITIES!
And for Gary that means margaritas on the beach trumps having batteries that lastlonger than the time it takes to install them! LOL!
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

• Publisher - BCM
  • Administrator
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2023, 04:27:26 PM »
Well Clifford ya know a man has to have PRIORITIES!
And for Gary that means margaritas on the beach trumps having batteries that lastlonger than the time it takes to install them! LOL!
;D  BK  ;D

No making fun of me drinking Margaritas on the beach in Mexico with an armful of Chicitas around me aye?  ;D

Offline Van

« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2023, 06:18:05 PM »
No making fun of me drinking Margaritas on the beach in Mexico with an armful of Chicitas around me aye?  ;D
Yeah just show them chicas your high dollar no exspense spared battery collection lol!
  https://youtu.be/leqHnUM64HU?si=dUVw6reeA7magni-
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2023, 11:13:50 AM »

OH No Gary I wasn't making fun of you, I was just pointing out that you have PRIORITIES!
:D  BK  :D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal