Author Topic: Old split field gear driven12V generator to give away.  (Read 3054 times)

Offline zubzub

• '53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.
    • pics of my bus etc....
Old split field gear driven12V generator to give away.
« on: March 23, 2011, 04:36:39 PM »
Finally got my pulley drive for my bus...so I really don't need this monster.

I never could get it to produce 12V but it will turn if 12V is applied (my basic test to see if windings/brushes and field are good) but that is it for info.  It is heavy and only someone who is knowledgeable would want this.....I'm not, the voltage reg for this is ancient and the one I have is not OEM....I'm putting this here in case someone knows someone who would like it....I guess it will get moved to the SPARE TIRE but no one will see it there and i figure someone out there would kill for this (not me!).   The info rag is too worn to read I can see Delco on it and a couple of #s but even treid making a rubbing of it and nothing else....maybe dye would bring out the info.       

Offline zubzub

• pics of my bus etc....
Re: Old split field gear driven12V generator to give away.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 08:10:37 PM »
one bump then off to the dump.

Offline Charley Davidson

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 09:55:11 PM »
I'm sure it is quite heavy so take it to the scrap yard and sell as an electric motor .30 a pound or put it on craig's list in the FREE section. but don't throw it away.

Offline fe2_o3

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 12:42:47 AM »
Are those things directional? Some alts. are some are not. If it runs like a motor, which way does it turn? I assume it was on your left hand rotating 4104. Very curious. If you were closer I'd take it...Cable
Sofar Sogood
1953-4104
KB7LJR
Everett, WA.

Offline zubzub

• pics of my bus etc....
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 07:25:16 AM »
Don't know if it's directional....
One more bump and off to the scrap yard didn't rhyme.
Hmmm.....
I guess no one gives a cr@# so I'll sell it for scrap.

Offline TedsBUSted

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 08:31:02 AM »
Zubzub - I take it you're not a saver, but I would think that at least the drive gear set and the end-housing should be saved. That's probably the "gold" anyway, and wouldn't take much room. Although the gear wear does look as if it has been run with poor tooth contact.

Anybody ever seen the Leece Neville gear-drive alternators that used this end housing as an adapter?

Are there any pictures of the Zubzub belt-drive conversion posted?

Ted
Bus polygamist. Always room for another, especially ‘04 or ‘06 are welcome. NE from Chicago, across the pond.

Offline zubzub

• pics of my bus etc....
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 10:37:27 AM »
Zubzub - I take it you're not a saver, but I would think that at least the drive gear set and the end-housing should be saved. That's probably the "gold" anyway, and wouldn't take much room. Although the gear wear does look as if it has been run with poor tooth contact.

Anybody ever seen the Leece Neville gear-drive alternators that used this end housing as an adapter?

Are there any pictures of the Zubzub belt-drive conversion posted?

Ted

I'm trying not to save too much junk....my SO is the saver and it drives me nuts (any one need 2 or three old tape walkmans? but I love her).  And this thing is huge and heavy.  I know at one point there were gear driven alts with this drive on it, but they are a little too rare for my liking so I'm going pulley.  I'll try to take pics of the install.  Oh yeah, the nice thing about my new aux drive is it has a nice fresh drive part (the one that attaches to the motor) my gen sprocket teeth were worn and the fiber drive on the motor was very gnarly/borderline toast.

artvonne

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 06:49:04 PM »
  Not sure if that will fit a 671 in a 4104, but Rick59 might like to have it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal