Author Topic: DDEC II Cruise Control  (Read 9173 times)

Offline alltech

DDEC II Cruise Control
« on: November 26, 2006, 08:35:50 PM »
I have an 8V92 with DDEC II

It seems it is governed at 70 MPH, someone told me that it was very easy to add cruise control on this configuration.

Does anyone have information on this?

Thx Ross
1988 102C3 8V92

Offline Sean

• Geek.
  • '85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"
    • Our Odyssey
Re: DDEC II Cruise Control
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 11:26:11 PM »
Cruise Control is a standard feature of DDEC-II.  You will need to add three switches (On/Off, Set/Coast, Resume/Accel) in a specific configuration.  It helps if the "chassis" harness from the DDEC already has the wires in it, otherwise you will end up having to add individual pins to the connector.

You will also need to enable the feature, if it is not already, in the DDEC computer, which will require someone with a ProLink or similar device.  Pretty much any Detroit shop can do this for you.

I've got the wire numbers and pin-out for the switches buried somewhere in my coach documents, but it is also in the DDEC manual, which you should get if you are going to be messing with it.  If I remember right, the switches are all DPDT, with the Set and Resume ones being momentary.

If your DDEC has a proper road speed input, which comes from either a wheel sensor or off the transmission someplace (some have gear-operated sensors, while others take it from the ATEC computer), then the cruise will regulate by road speed.  If your unit does not have a speed input, make sure the speed input settings in the DDEC are defeated, and the cruise will regulate on RPM.

HTH.

-Sean
Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 06:41:32 AM »
You have a VSS in the transmission. Com link between the trans ECM and DDEC is what is limiting your road speed.  The road speed limit indicates that the cruise is enabled. 
The wiring is inside the harness.  Have to get a schematic of how to wire it.  Simple to do.  I did my DDEC 1. But a DDEC II is likely different  color codes.    
coachinfo.com sells a DDEC dx guide that has wiring schematics for the DDEC II cruise control. 
The system is a cascade of grounds.   "Cruise On-Off",  "set on-off", "resume on-off", "brakes on-off".  Note that the brake circuit does not pull from the brake light switch...unless a solenoid is used. 
On my DDEC the control switches are unique in that they are momentary, and make contact on both on and off.  They toggle the circuit.   These switches are hard to find so I used DPST solenoids.   Worked fine.   
Easy to install.  If you pull the split loom apart, you'll likely find a group of wires that are unused. 
Perhaps someone with a DDEC II manual could post the wiring code numbers. 
On my system, no wires required input voltage, they only complete grounds.  So don't let the cruise wiring come in contact with 12 or 24V. 
Best, JR
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline RTS/Daytona

• Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10
    • BUS CONVERSION PARTS FOR SALE / PROJECTS
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 05:43:51 PM »
I have a .pdf file of the DDEC II Cruise Control Wiring page you need - your email addy is "hidden" - so email me at hawk_ii_mail  at  yahoo.com and I'll send you the file

Pete RTS/Daytona
If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.

Dallas

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 06:43:56 PM »
I have a .pdf file of the DDEC II Cruise Control Wiring page you need - your email addy is "hidden" - so email me at hawk_ii_mail  at  yahoo.com and I'll send you the file

Pete RTS/Daytona

It is possible to post files other than pictures here on the MAK board, as long as they are less than 128K.

Here are the possibilities:
Allowed file types: txt, doc, pdf, jpg, gif, mpg, png
Maximum attachment size allowed: 128 KB, per post: 4

If there isn't room here, you could always put it here: http://busphotos.busconversionstuff.com/photo/
Just so everyone could see it.

Just thought I'd help,

Dallas

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 06:58:37 PM »
Good idea Dallas!  I'd like to see what a DDEC II cruise looks like....sorta compare and contrast! 
Best, JR
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline RTS/Daytona

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 09:04:41 PM »
Dallas

What makes you think that I don't know what type or what size files I can load to this board

The original file was over 3 meg - too big to even load on the other site you suggested

I would thank you not to UNDER-ESTIMATE  my knowledge and skill level again

I have re-scanned the DDEC-II Cruise control page and re-scaled the PDF file to approx 100kb

Pete RTS/Daytona

It is possible to post files other than pictures here on the MAK board, as long as they are less than 128K.

Here are the possibilities:
Allowed file types: txt, doc, pdf, jpg, gif, mpg, png
Maximum attachment size allowed: 128 KB, per post: 4

If there isn't room here, you could always put it here: http://busphotos.busconversionstuff.com/photo/
Just so everyone could see it.

Just thought I'd help,

Dallas

Offline mikeH8H-649

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 03:46:43 AM »
Pete,that was rude,if you read Dallas's reply (just so everyone can see it)and (just thought I'd help),I know Dallas well enough that I am sure he was in no way trying to demean you or suggest that you do not know what you are doing,as allways he was just trying to be helpfull    Mike

Dallas

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 03:59:53 AM »
Sorry Pete,

I didn't mean to pee in your wheaties.

I was simply trying to inform the whole board that it's not just photo's that can be uploaded, and used this opportunity to do so.

I get emails all the time asking how to upload or if something can be uploaded to this website.

Again I apologize. This was in no way meant to denigrate you or your computer skills.

Also, if you had asked, I can reset the size limits on the other board to accomadate larger files.

HTH

Dallas

Offline RTS/Daytona

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 05:49:48 AM »
Folks

It appears that .pdf files do not automatically display ??

so here's the DDEC II Cruise control .PDF Wiring diagram again (see bottom of this post)

You will need to click on the file name to Display the diagram

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 07:15:41 AM »
Pete, posts are aimed at the general board population generally, not trying to put anyone down. Personally I appreciate Dallas's post as it taught me something and probably a lot of other  board members.

Unfortunately we are not all as computer savvy as others are.

Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 07:19:45 PM »
FWIW, the wiring for the DDEC II cruise control is identical to DDEC I...with exception of ECM pin-outs.   The cruise control leads  use the same numbers and work the same way.  Interesting. 
Thanks for posting the schem Pete.  JR
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand

Offline alltech

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 12:11:04 PM »
Sorry

I have been out of town acouple of days, thankyou for the info it has been very helpful

Ross
1988 102C3 8V92

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal