Author Topic: Rear engine wiring?  (Read 2346 times)

Offline Bob Gil

• Bob Gilbreath bobgil@sbcglobal.net
Rear engine wiring?
« on: June 21, 2008, 11:32:22 AM »
Well not having a wiring diagram for my bus I have been looking around at several that you good people have sent me and one or two others that I have found in different places. 

I have drawn up some thing that I hope will work for my bus.  Would you-all look it over and see if I missed any ting?

I have the wires coming to the box in the rear listed on the left of each dia. and the componits of the box listed in the dia.  I did not draw the main disconnect that I plan to install But I did note that i want to attach the kill system to the battery side of it so that system will have power any time there is power in the batteries.  I don't think it will draw any power when not in use, I hope any way.

I have the relays ground activated to keep from running hot wires all over.  and cut the amount of wire required.

I am not sure what size fuses i will need,  I think a 5 am should be fine for the back up system as I plan on using two LED lights.  But i am not sure about the am draw of the kill solenoid.  The starter should not take much i thin about a 10 am I am guessing.

What do you-all think?  Am I on the right track or way off?
Fort Worth, Texas where GOD is so close you don't even need a phone!

1968 GM Bus of unknown model 6V53 engine (aftermarket) converted with house hold items.

Had small engine fire and had no 12 volt system at time of purchase. 
Coach is all 110 w 14KW diesel genrator

Offline Tom Y

• 80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress
Re: Rear engine wiring?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 08:36:16 AM »
Bob, Relay should have 4 wires. You can jump over a + or -. I think your kill buttons need to be in series. Is your 3 way switch center off , up front start, down rear start?  Good luck  Tom Y
Tom Yaegle

Offline Bob Gil

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 11:49:42 AM »
Tom the relays that I have found that were negative or grounding only have 3 post. 

1. The hot wire in to the relay

2. The ground that activates the relay

3. The hot wire leaving the relay

As the Kill buttons being in series? 
If you mean one after the other? 
Would both need to be pushed to kill it then?  That might be a problem. 

Yes the 3 way switch is one side for the front and the other side for the rear and nothing or off in the center.

Hope I understand what you wrote.

1968 GM Bus of unknown model 6V53 engine (aftermarket) converted with house hold items.

Offline compedgemarine

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 01:32:42 PM »
not an expert but the only relays I have seen with 3 posts are grounded through the mount so you would have to activate it with a positive wire. Is this the type you have and if so that would be fine as long as all the trigger wires are positive and you mount them to a good ground source.
steve

Offline Bob Gil

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 03:47:42 PM »
If you will look I think you will fine that most horns and the relays off of your auto transmission work with a ground activation (That is the ground is completed when you press the horn button or the transmission is in the right place to activate the ground.).

I like this idea as you only have to run one wire to the horn or the sensor on the transmission.

I just checked one of the ones I have and that is the way they work.

Offline Tom Y

• 80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 06:18:16 PM »
Bob, Yes you are right on the kill. I looked at your pic again and I see you make ground to kill. The 3 wire relays should be fine.  Tom Y
Tom Yaegle

Offline Bob Gil

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 06:31:55 PM »
Tom What do you think about the fuses?

I was thinking 5 AM should be enough for the LED back up lights but I mas not too sure for the KILL or Starter Solenoids?

That is the stuff I was going to put in the box.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal