Author Topic: Need help with 903 Cummins governor speed  (Read 1791 times)

Offline Outback Man

Need help with 903 Cummins governor speed
« on: June 24, 2007, 09:23:04 PM »
I have a 1980 Flyer transit that I have owned since '98 and that I drive a few thousand miles a year. It developed a fuel leak and I decided while I had the pump out to fix the seal, to have the pump man turn up the rpm as the head mechanic at Seattle Metro where I bought the bus from told me it turned 2050 which results in 60 mph. When I picked up the bus, he assured me that it should turn 2 or 3 hundred more rpm. When I took it out on the freeway, it ran the same as before, 43 in second, and 60 in third. It has an air throttle and it is either on or off but it seems since the pump work that I have to take my foot off the throttle almost all the way before it drops to idle speed where before it would drop down to idle as soon as I lifted my foot a small amount. I don't know if that would indicate that it is turning more rpm or not. Is there anything in the transmission [V 730] or in the pump that regulates the speed? I realize that these are probably silly questions, but I want to get my facts straight before I have a confrontation with the pump guy. Without a tach there is no way to tell the rpms, only can go by the speed which hasn't changed. I had been led to believe that an increase in rpms or a change in rear end ratio would result in more miles per hour, so I'm thinking that they didn't actually recalibrate the pump as they said and they charged me an extra $125.00 for, but without a tach I really couldn't prove it. All I know is it still is chugging along at 60 mph for a top speed. Any ideas on this subject would be greatly appreciated as I am in Jackson, Tennessee and I have to leave to go to South Dakota in a few days and I need to get this situation resolved before I leave.

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
Re: Need help with 903 Cummins governor speed
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 08:46:20 PM »
Hello Outback Man,

Welcome to the board!!

How is this project going ?  Any progress?

Fellow busnuts, any thoughts for Outback Man? 

Best Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9, 1995 MCI DL3-45

Offline NJT 5573

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 09:32:55 PM »
Just go talk to your pump guy, sounds like you got the facts right.
"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high

Offline TomC

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 05:06:46 AM »
Two things-air throttle-sounds like you don't have a big enough return spring on the injector pump.  I have an air throttle and it is very exact. 
Also, even though the engine rpm maybe turned up, your shift points are going to be the same unless you have the transmission readjusted.  I believe both the engine and transmission max should be 2600rpm.  Good Luck TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal