Author Topic: Not just Americans getting heavy --- but, busses too!  (Read 5415 times)

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
Re: Not just Americans getting heavy --- but, busses too!
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 01:24:25 PM »
Quote from: belfert
I have not had the bus reweighed yet as I need to find a public scale near home. Weighing at a truck stop on a trip wouldn't help due to all the stuff we put in the bays for a trip.

Brian,
I disagree, it's exactly what ya need to do! After all that's what YOU built that bus for isn't it? From the start your plan was to make this bus for these trips! The loaded weight is exactly, what you need to know for proper tire pressure etc. since that is the way you use it mostly! By the way you can find local scales at local grain elevators, Co-ops, major trk terminals, Super-Valu warehouses (the full service locations where they have the trk shops & etc. and I mentioned this name because I know they are in yer area) gravel pits etc. scales are easy to find if you look in the right place & most will weigh ya for free or about what a commercial scale cost! I can count 10 scales with in 15 mins of here, but the nearest commercial scale (trk stop) is over an hr away in direction! Also the state scale houses are good to!(best to check with them 1st b4 bring the coach by!) The one around the corner leave the display on & where you can look inside and read it from the window at nights & Wknds when the are closed! (ot that I would ever do that! LOL!)FWIW!
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2008, 03:05:44 PM »
Although I doubt anybody with a $1.7M rig stays anywhere they don't have full hookups.

You might be surprised. When I used to go to the sand dunes at Glamis, there were plenty of the very high end coaches there. A few brought along their maids to take care of everything.

My Eagle was around 43,000 fully loaded and If I would have had the money it would have weighed in at the 50,000 pound mark.

Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline belfert

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2008, 05:21:32 PM »
Oh, I know there are scales around, but I just haven't checked into which ones are public and what I would need to do as far as hours and payment once I do find one.  I am curious how much weight I have added during the conversion process.  Supervalu is around 40 or 50 miles round trip.  There is a recycled gravel place 1 mile away that would probably give me my weight for free during the off season.  I think their scale doesn't do axle weight as they just care about how much product to charge for.

My loaded weight can vary by 1,000 lbs easily based on how many friends and how much cargo we all have.  It would still be better to go by this weight for tire pressures.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2008, 07:28:47 PM »
Oh, I know there are scales around, but I just haven't checked into which ones are public and what I would need to do as far as hours and payment once I do find one.  I am curious how much weight I have added during the conversion process.  Supervalu is around 40 or 50 miles round trip.  There is a recycled gravel place 1 mile away that would probably give me my weight for free during the off season.  I think their scale doesn't do axle weight as they just care about how much product to charge for.

My loaded weight can vary by 1,000 lbs easily based on how many friends and how much cargo we all have.  It would still be better to go by this weight for tire pressures.

They ain't gotta be public, the private ones usually do it for you for free or a couple bucks if ya ask! Also yes they still do axle weights they just pull them on one at a time! & do the math! If they load someone illeagally they can get in as much trouble as the driver for loading them (over/wrong)
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2008, 10:34:01 PM »
I had mine weighed at a shell station, they charged $8, and gave it to me by axle.
Very much worth it, I wish I had done it sooner.
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

Dreamscape

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2008, 04:28:47 AM »
I had mine done at a local cotton gin and they charged me five bucks. Worth the effort to do so.

Paul

Offline HB of CJ

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2008, 02:03:37 PM »
I weighed my Crown Super Coach for $free$ at the state scales at the bottom of Hayes Hill in SW Oregon.  Since nobody was behind me, got the front, back, each axle side and the total.  The girl in the booth just smiled and waved.  Life is good.

Still can't quite figure out why somebody would pay almost two (2) million dollars for a coach that was practically (actually?) grossly overloaded as designed and constructed at the factory.  Doesn't make any sense.  But then again, Green is a good color.  :) :) :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal