Author Topic: 24 volt alternator question  (Read 1510 times)

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • Global Moderator
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
24 volt alternator question
« on: November 06, 2008, 05:10:38 AM »
We presently have the big 50 DN oil cooled, gear drive alternator on our 8V71. Our tachometer receives a signal from the "R" terminal on the alternator. We are thinking of replacing this alternator with a small belt drive air cooled alternator.  Our only 24 volt requirements are the engine (engine stop, fast idle, emergency stop solenoids and starter).  My question is do any of these small alternators have an "R" terminal?  Thanks, Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline TomC

Re: 24 volt alternator question
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 07:20:14 AM »
Has your 50DN quit? I would continue to use the 50DN-quite possibly the most reliable alternator ever made (they still use it to this day, albeit belt driven).  Most commercial Delco, Leece-Neville, type alternators will have the tachometer hookup.  You'll just have to reset your tachometer to the drive ratio of the new alternator since it will most likely be running at a different rpm and have a different number of poles.  I run my tachometer off my blower driver with a small gauge generator.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Sojourner

• Jesus Love You!
    • Jesus Love You!
Re: 24 volt alternator question
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 10:14:51 AM »
Jack...here a link to 2008 Delco Reference Guide and Delco SpecGuide
 with the "R" column

Leece Neville Quick Reference Guide but has no "R" column

All above links are in pdf file...few minutes to download.

Are you home yet?

Take Care.

Sojourn for Christ, Gerald
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 10:17:56 AM by Sojourner »
http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him