Author Topic: cannot retrieve the error codes DDEC-1 ECM  (Read 12140 times)

Offline travturner

cannot retrieve the error codes DDEC-1 ECM
« on: November 05, 2008, 07:02:01 PM »
I have a 87 NJT MC 9 V6-92 and I cannot retrieve the error codes from the ECM. Even the Detroit shop could not retrieve them. The bus runs good except it will shutdown.  Remove the ground on the battery, resetting ECM and it runs again. Oil
pressure OK Temp 190 OK. DD shop replaced the low water sensor. Other symptom is I purchased a new EPROM from Luke to increase rpm to 2100 and upon installing it the check engine and check transmission light stay on. DD shop wanted $1000 to check/fix the ECM.  I have checked with Luke, Nimco, Sam Caylor, and others.  Does anyone know who can check it or repair it without wanting my first born?
thanks
Travis

Blacksheep

Re: cannot retrieve the error codes DDEC-1 ECM
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 07:10:29 PM »
Travis, have you or anyone else linked your ddec to a pro-link or other data reader? What are the exact error codes or faults? What exactly are you trying to retrieve?
I have a ddec troubleshooting guide that will take you thru the steps one by one!
Ace

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 07:12:38 PM »
Ace, can we get the computer cables and software to look up the codes ourselves? I think we would find that handy at times.

God bless,

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 08:42:14 PM »
Travis, we have another thread going on DDEC I.  See:  http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=9885.0 

You can get the error codes but the DDEC I is not friendly about the codes (does not have active and non-active codes storage categories).  I stopped by the DD dealer yesterday and the mechanics talked about not being able to sort out new and old codes.  There is a way to reset the ECM and then hope the code flashes again.

There is a 12 pin adapter for Pro Link.  That discussion is going on in the other thread.

Not much help, but maybe the two thread will give you some clue.

John, there is no DD software that I am aware of that will let you get the codes on any DDEC engine on a PC.  There is a procedure where you can get the code to flash on the check engine light (via flashes and pauses).  I don't have the procedure to make that happen, but I would guess that someone will post the procedure.

The other options seem be the Pro Link, the DD dash unit (pro driver?) and SilverLeaf.  The SilverLeaf captures all fault codes and stores them - at least for DDEC II and newer.  We are trying to see if it will work on DDEC I.  So far, it has been a challenge, but we are getting closer.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/

Blacksheep

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 04:27:28 AM »
I'm with Jim! I've searched and searched the troubleshooting book I have and see nothing on it.
You still might try a pro-link and see what you get!

Ace

Offline RTS/Daytona

• Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10
    • BUS CONVERSION PARTS FOR SALE / PROJECTS
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 05:37:19 AM »
Travis

I think I know what's happened

In the early DDEC days - there was no standard pin configuration for the connector pinouts

Like RVSAFETY - I bet your DDEC DATA LINES are on pins J & A (somewhat unusual - but very possible)

so when Detroit Diesel plugged in thier PRO-LINK (or whatever) they tried getting the error codes to display by sending a message down the DDEC DATA LINE asking the DDEC to send the error data back on the DDEC DATA line - which in your case is probaly on a different pin then the LATER DDEC ECU's

SOOOOO

Here's a way around your problem - Lets flash the ERROR CODED THE OLD FASHION WAY

#1 - using a paper clip short PIN A to PIN M  (Dianostic Data Request to Ground)
#2 - count the error pulses you see on the "CHECK ENGINE LIGHT"
#3 - report back to all of us

I've included some a MASTER DDEC ERROR CHART - They keep the old codes the same and just added new # for the later model DDECs

Pete RTS/Daytona  - clear as mud - no call me home#***386**672**0571  Cell ***386**299*2089

If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.

makemineatwostroke

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 10:55:19 AM »
John316; you can buy the software for a PC at any Detroit dealer it will come with the cable when buying try to get it with the DDEC version you have, the upgrades get expensive $100.00 up depending on the dealer most of the time the software is cheaper than buying 1 cartridge for the prolink and will have more Parameters than a Prolink. Check your dealer for Detroit Diesel Diagnostic Link (DDDL)  you can also buy the same software from snap=on and prolink but it will cost more       have a great day

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 10:56:43 AM »
Thanks MMA2S. I will look into that.

God bless,

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

makemineatwostroke

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 12:40:20 PM »
Travturner; check your voltage going to ECM and make sure it has the proper voltage regardless of what is said on this board the DDEC comes in 12 or 24 volts so check the ECM to see if it 12 or 24 volt   have a great day

Offline blue_goose

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 01:39:55 PM »
You may be able to upgrade to a DD2.   Talk to Pete I think he has some and should be able to help.
Jack

Offline travturner

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 04:58:26 PM »
Thanks
For all the ideas
travis

Offline Kwajdiver

• MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 05:29:06 PM »
Guys,

Did I read that the problems started when the EPROM was replace...????   Was the orginal EPROM ever replaced to see if the problem went away   ???  When I was having my transmission problems, I played with the PROMS.  If it is not the correct one, all sort of strange things will happen.  Also, double check the legs on the chip, make sure one didn't fold under while installing it.  The nasty little buggers love to do that.

Bill
Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI

Offline travturner

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 05:33:55 PM »
I am looking for someone who check it out the ECM. 
Thanks
Travis

Offline Kwajdiver

• MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 01:34:46 PM »
Travis,

Not all EProms are interchangeable.  Try putting the orginal in, just for kicks, see if the problem goes away.

Bill
Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI

Offline Sammy

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2008, 05:30:39 AM »
Maybe you have a mechanical problem - shutting down engine, not a DDEC issue.
Do the "Check" and "Stop" engine lights come on for 5 seconds when you first turn on you ignition switch??
We know the bus starts and runs, so DDEC is working, might have burnt out bulbs for these lights - I have seen it before.
Bill makes a great suggestion - put original PROM back into place, see what happens.
As far as software is concerned, DDDL is VERY expensive and not really cost effective for the average person.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal