Author Topic: Help needed On I90 around Wisconsin-Minn Border  (Read 16774 times)

Gene 78 MC8

Help needed On I90 around Wisconsin-Minn Border
« on: June 22, 2006, 03:32:42 PM »
We are  traveling in a 1975 MC5 that we just bought and I would like to find a good shop that works on buses alone I90 to I 35 and then along I80 from Iowa to California. This Bus needs some attention to the clutch and brakes and the front wheel seals are leaking. The seller said it had been inspected and was rated A1, But he lied about so many things it is hard to keep track of them. I have it in a truck shop in Onalaska Wisconsin right now because the right brake would not release after stopping for lunch. It looks like he never lubercated anything on the bus. If you know of any good Bus shops along I80 I would be gratefull for any informatin you can geiv me at this time. Thanks in advance.

Gene    78 MC8  75 MC5 

NCbob

Re: Help needed On I90 around Wisconsin-Minn Border
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 03:58:09 PM »
I'm so sorry that you've got problems with a 5, Gene, I have one too... but be patient we'll find something or someone to help you out.
This's a great bunch of people and they'll do their best.  We do this all the time.......

Hang tough,

NCbob

NCbob

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 04:06:59 PM »
Gumpy is in MN and might be able to help.  If I had his L/L...I'd give him a call.  Hang tough!
Bob

Offline JimW7

• 1970 MC7
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 04:18:42 PM »
Gene
I know there is an ABC bus shop in Farbault, MN. I've bought parts there. I have never used the service dept. You might want to give them a call. If you look at a map, they aren't that far out of your way. Sorry I don't have more info, but I'm sure someone who knows more than me will be able to help you, Jim.
1970 MCI 7 serial # 8425

NCbob

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 04:24:11 PM »
OK, Gene, that tells you we're working on your problem and trying to get info to ASAP.

You can try C & J Bus repair in Bloomington, MN  1-800-228-7349 (that info from Busted Knuckle, a senior member of our Board)
They may be too far away to do you any immediate good but it's a chance.

If you could give us the name of a town nearby (or  mile stick) a GPS would be even better...we'd have something more to work with.

All on board are OK?  No health problems?  If it's a genuine Emergency...call 911 on your cell phone otherwise sit tight and we'll do the best we can!

Bob

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 04:28:39 PM »
Gene C & J bus Service is one of the best places I know to recommend to you they are in Bloomington, MN (Twin Cities Area) 1-800-228-7349 ! I have phone troubles right now, but was able to get the DSL working again! I'll post when I have Phone service! BK
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

NCbob

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 04:32:19 PM »
Gene, I'm having a problem here.  You're registered as MC9 and you're telling me that you're with an MC5.  Before we start calling our version of 9-11...I'd like to have a bit more information.  Is this your bus? You're a newbie and not to be without consideration but if this is a Bona Fide request for help...don't you think you might give us a bit more information before we start a lot of wheels in motion that might inconvenience a lot of people?

Let's have some more info, please.

I'm also in the chat room which makes for a more rapid exchange.

NCbob

belfert

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 04:58:32 PM »
I second the recommendation of C&J Bus Repair after you get back on the road.  I just got my bus back from them a few hours ago after getting the brakes and other stuff fixed.  (The $9k bill was steep, but I have a Dina that is hard to get parts for.)

952-881-0034 is the phone number.  Des Moines and Omaha are the only real cities of any size you will get to if you follow I90 to I35 to I80.

Minneapolis isn't that far out of the way to get something serious like brakes fixed.  I would consider driving down to Onalaska to help if I had a clue how to fix bus brakes.

Brian Elfert

Offline niles500

• Niles500
  • ROSIE
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 05:01:44 PM »
 >>>>>Gene 78 MC8 <<<<<<

>>>>>in a 1975 MC5 that we just bought <<<<<<
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 06:03:13 PM »
Gene I got my phones working if you need too, call me at 731-885-7460! I highly recommend C & J bus Repair! Tell J.D. Busted Knuckle (from TN) sent ya! It's 153 Miles from where you are to there place! If you can't drive it (or don't feel safe) he'll know who to call for local assistance or a wrecker! They are good People nd don't let Belfert and his high $ machine and it's problems scare ya with the large bill he had! Again C & J's # is 1-800-228-7349
 BK
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 06:46:33 PM »
Yep, worth the extra drive to C&J.

I doubt he'll be able to get you in till Monday, though, but if you're not in a hurry, you can't beat the professional and knowledgable service.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

belfert

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 07:44:06 PM »
Gene I got my phones working if you need too, call me at 731-885-7460! I highly recommend C & J bus Repair! Tell J.D. Busted Knuckle (from TN) sent ya! It's 153 Miles from where you are to there place! If you can't drive it (or don't feel safe) he'll know who to call for local assistance or a wrecker! They are good People nd don't let Belfert and his high $ machine and it's problems scare ya with the large bill he had! Again C & J's # is 1-800-228-7349

C&J's labor rate is right in line with the market rates for area.  They do a very good job and will work to find the most cost effective solution for each case.  My case was unique as the parts were hard to find and very expensive for a Dina.  I suspect it will be easier to find parts for a 30 year MC5 than my 10 year old Dina.

Parts alone for my bus were just over $5,000.  JD and his guys spent quite a few unreimbursed hours just looking for the right parts.  My bus was also left on the lift for nearly a week when MCI sent the wrong brake drums.  I had brakes (linings and drums) done on all three axles, tie rods replaced, all wheel bearings replaced, exhaust pipe replaced, and charge air cooler repaired.

I would highly recommend taking the MC5 to C&J no matter what.  JD, shop foreman, will be out Friday, but that shouldn't stop them from looking at your bus if you make it up there Friday.

Brian Elfert

Offline ol713

• ol713
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 08:48:52 PM »
We are  traveling in a 1975 MC5 that we just bought and I would like to find a good shop that works on buses alone I90 to I 35 and then along I80 from Iowa to California. This Bus needs some attention to the clutch and brakes and the front wheel seals are leaking. The seller said it had been inspected and was rated A1, But he lied about so many things it is hard to keep track of them. I have it in a truck shop in Onalaska Wisconsin right now because the right brake would not release after stopping for lunch. It looks like he never lubercated anything on the bus. If you know of any good Bus shops along I80 I would be gratefull for any informatin you can geiv me at this time. Thanks in advance.

Gene    78 MC8  75 MC5 

Hi Gene; 
          Was wondering how long your vacation was going to be.  Now I know you bought another bus.
          Sorry to hear you are having problems with it.    If you need grease,  I use Flying J service centers.
          They can grease most things if you point out the fittings. They also adjust the brakes on the drive
          axel.  They do it day in and day out, so that is not a problem.  If you can make to Tulsa,  I can
          recommend  Bill Rose  as a mechanic.  He replaced my throw out bearing for me one year.
          In case you don't have my number with you,  give me a call if there is anything I can do from this
          end.     (661)942-5586.      Good luck,    Merle.

Gene 78 MC8

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 08:39:38 AM »
Thanks guys for all the assistance. I just called C J's and scheduled to be there on Monday morning. The truck shop that has the bus now does not know how this type of brake works so they had me ask some one from C J's to call them. I just want them to put it back together so I can drive to Bloomington. Denice said she would call Busted Knuckle and thank him. I thank you all for your assistance. NCBob sorry I did not have time to give you my history right now but it is just too long to get into in this format. The last 2 weeks have added a lot of new history and not much of it good. Merle I am not sure how long my vacation will last at this point, but that is the best part of being retired. I may have to fly my wife home so she can go back to work and earn money for repairs. Bye for now. I will write more when I get internet connection again, not sure when that will be, but you guys helped a lot.

Gene    78 MC8/ 75 MC5   

Gene 78 MC8

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2006, 11:24:48 AM »
   Well, on Friday afternoon we got the bus out of the truck shop in Onalaska Wisconsin and headed for C & J Bus repair in Bloomington Mn. The mechanic at the truck shop said they had the brakes all apart and could seen no reason why they would not release after applying the parking brakes. He also said they did not fully understand the brake system on the MC5.  He then said it was all back together and ready to go. We left Onalaska heading for C&J’s Bus repair with the intention of not applying the parking brake. Any time we stopped one of us would stay in the bus and make sure is did not roll. The service brakes did not feel as effective as they did before we put it in the shop in Onalaska so we took it real easy and left plenty of distance between us and the vehicles ahead. When we got close to Bloomington we were off the freeway and on streets that had stop lights. Even though I was taking it real easy one light changed as we approached and I applied the brakes and it was obvious that we were not going to be able to stop. I had the brake peddle to the floor and we were barely slowing down. I pulled the park brake knob and no help. Thank God and air horns we made it through the intersection with out being hit. I was only having problems releasing the right brake before we took it to the shop in Onalaska and the mechanic said nothing about backing the slack adjusters of for both rear brakes. I would not have knowingly driven it that way.  With flashers on we drove in low gear along the shoulder and at one down hill slope I could not have stopped if I had to. We stopped along side the road for about 1.5 hours until traffic thinned down and then we made it to C&J’s with out any further problems.
   With the bus parked and waiting for Monday appointment what else could go wrong? With all the local rental car offices closed we had to go to the ir port to rent a car. After a ride with the cab driver from hell we got our car and thought we were in the clear. Friday night I was coming around the bed and my feet got tangled in the sheet and I fell flat on my hands and right knee. This is my bad knee anyway and now it was injured more. I could not move the joint or put much weight on it. I went to the drug store and got some pain killers and a cane to help me move around and now it looks like I should be able to use it by the time the bus is ready to travel either Monday or Tuesday.
   I do not have internet connection in this bus yet so now I have to go find a location where I can get connected. I will try to keep you posted as to how things turn out after C&J work on the bus. I have a long list of things I would like them to take care of while we are here.  Thanks again for your help.

Gene   78 MC8.75 MC5

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal