Author Topic: Need a VS2-8  (Read 21836 times)

Dallas

Re: Need a VS2-8
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2006, 01:15:40 PM »
When we still had our 4106 I gave a lot of thought to changing to an automatic.  Problem with the V730 is loss of mpg to the tune of 1-2 miles per gallon.  Finally decided on the VS-6 (not 8) as the overdrive is .8:1 or gives slightly lower rpms at a given speed.  The .72 is usable but will down shift to often.  The .6 is really only good for down hill driving.

The VS-6 will handle either the 8V71 or V92 with no problems.

BTW I never did anything.  Sold the bus.

The VS2-6 is not built for the 8V71 or the V92 series.
It's max input torque and horse power are the same as the VH= 198 HP and 600Ft Lbs torque @ 2100 RPM
The VS2-8 is rated at 259HP and 750Ft LbsTorque at 2100RPM.

By the way, that is HP at the flywheel after all other loads have been deducted.

Dallas

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2006, 02:07:12 PM »

Go Dallas Go. You're almost there!
When we still had our 4106 I gave a lot of thought to changing to an automatic.  Problem with the V730 is loss of mpg to the tune of 1-2 miles per gallon.  Finally decided on the VS-6 (not 8) as the overdrive is .8:1 or gives slightly lower rpms at a given speed.  The .72 is usable but will down shift to often.  The .6 is really only good for down hill driving.

The VS-6 will handle either the 8V71 or V92 with no problems.

BTW I never did anything.  Sold the bus.

The VS2-6 is not built for the 8V71 or the V92 series.
It's max input torque and horse power are the same as the VH= 198 HP and 600Ft Lbs torque @ 2100 RPM
The VS2-8 is rated at 259HP and 750Ft LbsTorque at 2100RPM.

By the way, that is HP at the flywheel after all other loads have been deducted.

Dallas
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline mikeH8H-649

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2006, 06:57:06 PM »
Christy have you checked with Jefferson bus in okc,I have dealt with them before and was very satisfied and they were reasonable,at least you would have somewhere to compare   Mike

Offline Christyhicks

• 1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2006, 07:01:26 PM »
Yeah, we checked with Jefferson, but they didn't have any VS2-8s or 730s.  We are pretty much thinking we'll need to go to the 730, because Larry does not like the lack of control and downshifting on the VS2 :-\.  We're still going over details and learning, but at least that's the direction it's looking.  We checked I-44 bus sales also, and they are pretty high.  So, I may be running a new post called: NEED A 730  ;), ha ha.  Christy
If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!

Offline Buffalo SpaceShip

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2006, 07:06:23 PM »
Nimco lists a V-730 for $1000. Hard to beat that... http://www.nimcobus.com/catalog/rts_page1.shtml

Good luck,
Brian
Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO

Offline Christyhicks

• 1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2006, 07:10:13 PM »
Well, the decision is made.  . we both agree (yaaaaayy :D), we're going with a VS2-8 as soon as we can find a good deal on one.  Dallas has been a wonderful help with explanations and tips and so have several other guys who have contributed to the discussion.  Thanks to everyone who attempted to educate me with Transmission 101 classes!   ;) 

We're actually excited about possibly getting better gas mileage too, even though we were satisfied with the 7mpg we've achieved consistently so far. I just happened to keep track of the fuel we've purchased, the approximate hours of genset usage and  the miles we've driven (I know that just surprises you all), so it will be interesting to compare past mileage to mileage after we put in the VS2-8. 

We're looking forward to the long weekend and hope that everyone else is too! Thanks again to all, Christy HIcks
If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!

Offline littlehouse

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2006, 08:50:41 PM »
christy

i'm ray with the littlehouse on wheels, an mc8 '77, but i also have '72 portland org. city trans. flex. with a 8v71dd & a vs2-8
trany i want the eng. but i have no use for the trans. i'm in the seattle wa. area. if you could use this trans. i would make
you one heck of a deal! it all works & runs till i start takeing parts off. my better half said i could give out her e-mail address
becouse i don't spell or type well enough to have one of my own. but i love to read THIS board every day? or night. so
if i can help you can post here or granmajan@yahoo.com        i hope i did this right if not some one can remove or modify
as needed

ray with the littlehouse on wheels

I want to live long enough to be a nuisance to my children
and i am!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal