Author Topic: Recessed lighting for low clearance applications?  (Read 13138 times)

Offline ilyafish

• I am Alpha and Omega
Recessed lighting for low clearance applications?
« on: November 23, 2008, 03:55:48 PM »
I was thinking of installing recessed lighting in my coach, but raising the roof isnt something i am looking to do. I was going to have cabinets on both sides of the coach, so i was just going to square off the middle section of the roof, giving me a few inches of clearance.

I was at home depot and the smallest recessed lighting housing was about 6 inches tall or so.  Is there any kind of specialty recessed lighting for low clearance?
Own: 1981 MCI MC9 w/
Veggie Oil Conversion
Live:  Flemington, NJ

1 Corinthians 9:19-22

Offline Tom Y

• 80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress
Re: Recessed lighting for low clearance applications?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 04:14:23 PM »
I looked at a bus last week that had recessed lights. They just had a metal tray to hold 1 thin light mounted in the ceiling with a plastic lens and trim over it. Maybe 1.5 inches deep and  a 10 inch fluorescent.  Tom y
Tom Yaegle

Offline PP

• Will & Wife
    • Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 04:18:31 PM »
Iminaccess,
What voltage are you going with? I have some (12 to be exact) 12V 18" Flourescents that are recessed and withdrawn they are only 2" thick (deep?) 6"X20"  Not sure exactly what you've got in mind, but these are available through most RV outlets for around $30. each. Wood trim that screws to the ceiling and plexi lenses finish off the visible part. I think they're pretty standard units, Will

Offline ilyafish

• I am Alpha and Omega
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 04:43:54 PM »
im looking for 120v
Veggie Oil Conversion

Blacksheep

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 05:03:11 PM »
I have a local source for 3 inch round puck lights that are 12v in chrome, gold, nickel
Pretty flat when installed. I have 9 of them in my ceiling and 3 on my steps coming in the bus.
15.00 each the last time I got them!
Ace

Offline RTS/Daytona

• Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10
    • BUS CONVERSION PARTS FOR SALE / PROJECTS
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 05:31:09 PM »
If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.

Offline fraser8

• Fraser
  • 1972 Prevost
    • Old Ambulance
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 05:56:10 PM »
Try thin lite  http://www.thinlite.com/ I have 4 of them in the kitchen area of my coach with a custom made frame and defuser on them. It protrudes from the center of the ceiling 2" and 1 1/2" on the outside edge. The fixture with 8 florescent tubes/ 4 thin light fixtures mounted inside is 28" X 48". Lots of light but a single fixture could be used along the center of the coach. A single fixture is 6 1/2" X 20 1/2" and has 1" sticking out from the roof. I just checked their web site and they are all 12 volt.
Fraser Field
Deroche, BC, Canada
Where the milk cows out number the people, but they can't vote
1972 Prevost, Detroit 8-71/740 Allison automatic, Jakes
Hobbies: restoring classic cars, www.oldambulance.com, arranging old car tours: www.coasters2010.com, www.canadiancoasters.ca
Retired Paramedic

Offline JimC

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 06:13:37 PM »
iminaccess,
I did basically what you are talking about doing, I dropped the center down 3/12 inches, I probably could have gotten by with less than 3 inches but I wanted to set the LED lights along the side for indirect lighting. You will see in the pics that I used fluorescent fixtures from home depot, if I remember correctly they are only about 1 3/4 inches high without the ugly plastic cover on them. I mounted them directly to the ceiling and then I used white grid light covers under them to hide them. You don't really see them unless you stand under and look directly up, and with them working they are too bright to look at. I have no problem running them off of the modified sine wave inverter, there are actually two bulbs for each fixture and they are plenty bright.
Jim
4106 - 8-71/730
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
between Milwaukee & Madison

cody

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 07:41:23 PM »
I have 12 volt and 120 lights recessed into not only my ceilings but hidden under overhangs and under my dinette seats, the pic isn't very good but looking toward the back of the bus you can see the ceiling light, that one is 120 and is flush to the ceiling, you can also see the accent lighting shining under the dinette seats.

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=4621.0

Offline ilyafish

• I am Alpha and Omega
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 08:11:19 PM »
looks good to me guys...my only thing, and i have a feeling its going to come down to a beggers cant be choosers situation is i do prefer halogen lights or something that would work with a dimmer....i know with fluorescent lights that is not the case unless your looking for a strobe light show haha
Veggie Oil Conversion

Blacksheep

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 08:31:45 PM »
The puck lights I mentioned are halogen and I'm sure you could put a dimmer in line somehow.

Ace

Offline ilyafish

• I am Alpha and Omega
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 09:25:34 PM »
blacksheep,

do you have a picture of those lights?

sounds pretty much what i am looking for
Veggie Oil Conversion

Offline TomC

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 11:16:36 PM »
I have 5 surfact mounted halogen puck lights that have 10 watt Zenon lights in them.  Have 4 more over the side of the sofa and Dinette.  Very pleased with them-will use LED when they get bright enough.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline BG6

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 02:37:54 PM »
Have you considered indirect lighting?  You can also put track lighting in places that you don't need the headroom.

Blacksheep

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 07:12:50 PM »
Sorry for the delay in answering your post as I have been pretty busy but I found this pic that might give you an idea as to what I used! The 3 lights in the back divider are regular halogen puck TYPE lights from HD. The other 6 that you can see in the ceiling are the ones I am talking about! There is actually 9 of them, with 3 in each row. I just realized ONE of the 9 was out during this picture but they all are working now! HMM!

Ace

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal