Author Topic: CB Radios.....good idea to get one?  (Read 8168 times)

Offline jackhartjr

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
Re: CB Radios.....good idea to get one?
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2008, 04:03:29 AM »
Iminaccess, you have one of the best CB's and antennas out there.
Have a CB Shop along your travels check and set the "SWR's", (They do that by putting a meter between the radio and antenna) and then either moving a set screw on the top of the antenna or trimming off a little wire on the top of it until the right 'numbers' come up.  Most roadside CB shops, at least in the south do not charge for this.
I have a meter and will gladly set yours if we are ever in the same place at the same time.
By the way, I don't understand all this...I just know it works! ;D
And RJ, I have heard that too about them working best in the middle.  Come to think about it the old AM antenna on our Scenicruiser has it ritght in the middle of the lower section.
Jack
Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)

Offline kd5kfl

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2008, 05:49:58 AM »
The "twin truckers" antenna on the mirrors gives better reception and transmission fore and aft.

I'm an amateur radio operator, but not when in motion. Can't snivel about cellphone users if I'm doing the same thing in a different way.

Offline baker4106

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2008, 06:33:40 AM »
I have a CB but I do not like some of the language I hear.   My question is why can I recieve pretty good but I can't seem to send?   I was next to a RV and they told me to pull in front of them but I could not acknowledge them.   Larry

Offline BG6

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2008, 06:50:25 AM »
The "twin truckers" antenna on the mirrors gives better reception and transmission fore and aft.

Actually, the "co-phased" antennas on big trucks (and our coaches) are there because of the tall, metal sides, and the desire to have longer antennas than could be put on the top.  The object is to have an omnidirectional antenna illuminated no matter which direction the signal is coming from.  The signal pattern is still pretty much the same as a single stick on the roof would be, you just aren't blocked by the vehicle the way it would be with a single antenna mounted below the top.

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2008, 11:23:48 AM »
I didn't think the language was all that bad.  Oops! *&**%!!!

I was driving across country one dark clear night in the middle of No Where Central.  Cruising down the Interstate at my usual 50mph and listening to the CB which seemed unusually quiet.  In my rear views I saw a "Convoy" of trucks screaming up on me doing 80 at a min and they were using both lanes.  Never saw the likes before or since.  They were more than 10 trucks deep and tucked in nose to tail real tight.  Maybe that saves fuel but only two of them could see much and that can't be all that safe.

When they were about a half mile back my CB crackled to life with a voice that had a little worried excitement in it.  He said "Guys, that camper isn't going all that fast".  A few seconds later and as the trucks were a couple hundred yards distant the same voice said "Ugh, Guys?  That camper is really coming up fast.  Shouldn't we be doing...?"  As it just happened there was a rest stop right there and I was intending to turn off for the night as it was 1 am.  I started down the off ramp and had only gotten my tail end off the highway barely and a few yards down the ramp and this HORDE of a Flock of semi's went thundering past doing at least 80.  They never even flinched and I know in my heart that there would have been staples and sticks spread for two counties had I not been getting out of the way, only by chance.  The radio was silent as they went by and I heard not a peep for the next hour.  Slow night, I guess.  Yeah, I keep my ears up all the way and I watch my six.   You do the same and remember that "sticks and stones will break my bones....." get it?

That was the only time I ever saw truckers not acting risk averse except the one that nearly put me under the rear truck of his trailer.  Two baddies in 18 years ain't all that bad and I hope they keep up the good work.  Good luck to all!

John

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline circusboy90210

• Chat Banned
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2008, 02:20:29 PM »
cdl "A" means genius geta CB

Offline busshawg

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2008, 02:23:34 PM »
I don't think I would go without one. The rubish gets old but one can always turn it off. Very handy for checking road conditions , lane closures in construction etc etc.
Have Fun!!
Grant

Offline Sojourner

• Jesus Love You!
    • Jesus Love You!
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2008, 05:11:24 PM »
About CB radio in bus conversion. While traveling from Michigan to San Diego, Ca., again to Bangor, Maine and to Arcadia, Fl….It was in 1998 and many times it will alert the accident or construction work with bumper to bumper line of traffic from CB-err. So I look for the next exit or wait it out. By leave it on while driving and whoever CB-err behind you will post a message about what it maybe concern such as low tire pressure to the bus driver. Channel 19 is what the truckers use.

Choosing the Best CB Radio (left click)

About CB radio with the slang language. It used to be to identify your self before ever speaking so FCC can impose a fine or take away the CB license rights. In the 50’s was popular and clean.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Gerald
http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal