Author Topic: Q: What do the initials mean after engine name?  (Read 5701 times)

Offline duk231

Q: What do the initials mean after engine name?
« on: December 13, 2008, 02:24:08 PM »
Cummings isl ? or Eom

Thank you

Michael

luvrbus

Re: Q: What do the initials mean after engine name?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 02:35:30 PM »
Mike, go to the Cummins Southern Plains web and they have a page that will tell you what each letter means sorry I don't have a link but it is there    Good luck

Songman

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 02:37:42 PM »
I don't think they really mean anything. Just a series. They had the ISC, ISM... and the ISL was something between the two. I don't know that, but that is what I think. Sort of like foreign cars always did like XJS, etc.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 04:07:48 PM »
I don't think they really mean anything. Just a series. They had the ISC, ISM... and the ISL was something between the two. I don't know that, but that is what I think. Sort of like foreign cars always did like XJS, etc.

Well Dale in away yer right they are just that what series the engine is! Ya know kinda like a 53, 71, 92, 50, 60 series or like a generation l,ll,lll,lV,V, or Vl  DDEC. Helps identify that particular "series" FWIW ;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline duk231

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 04:58:09 PM »
Is there anywhere I can find out what those changes are? I read about guys/gals rebuilding their engines and refering to a lot of these terms but I am not completely following because I do not understand the difference between a Cummings M11 ISM or say an ISL. Is there a way that I can better get the changes in these models?

I can get the idea of different model engines for different purposes. ( i.e. highway, city, some other special features)

Perhaps a website, I did try the "Name" that the first person suggested but most of those website's were for employment and I didn't see a search on there to check out the model numbers initials.

Mike

PS: Thank You for taking the time. Happy holidays......  ;-)

luvrbus

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 05:11:14 PM »

Offline duk231

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 06:01:15 AM »
Many many thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. Fantastic ......

Mike

Thank You very much

Offline TomC

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 09:54:22 AM »
It's sort of strange that Cummins doesn't mention the ISB 6.7 liter versions made today.  It is available up to 350hp and 725lb/ft of torque for RV use.  Imagine-a 4 stroke engine that weighs in at 1150lbs putting out more power with less fuel then the 6-71 at 2150lbs!  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline quantum500

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 12:14:00 PM »
Since everyone was so clever with the cummins question.  I want to know what the various cat series numbers mean.  Trust me I have looked and talked to a lot of cat guys and haven't got an answer. 

Offline NJT 5573

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 02:09:17 PM »
Each group # has its own group of parts that are interchangable. The Cat series that end in 06 08 16 etc denote the # of cylinders. We would probably still be running the 1693s if they would clean up for emissions, but they won't. Emission requirements are driving all the new engine series and have for about 20 years. The new Cats actually clean the air. Air is cleaner out than the air they breathe in. Cat however is making their last on highway engine right now. They are tired of the emission BS and are out of the on road business. The newest Cat engines also have a camshaft defect and are being replaced under warranty at about 20,000 miles. We have one on its second cam that is going to be looking for a new home real soon.
"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high

makemineatwostroke

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 03:12:09 PM »
Cat has kept the engine id simple for years nothing fancy the 3406  the 34 is the series 06 number of cylinders A,B,and C model numbers E was electronic and the later engines like a  C-15  C is the inline 6 cylinder series the number 15 is liters   
have great day

Offline quantum500

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 07:18:35 PM »
Let me explain a little further.  Most manufacturers ranging from shovels to submarines tend to turn the model # and or serial # into some sort of story.  It tells you more than just what it is.  Some of the easiest to understand is detroit 2-strokes.  Heavy equipment is similar take for example excavators.  The number can represent the weight, horse power or stick length.  From my research cat engines in the time period after the D series and before the C series follow no such thing.   There are quite a collection let me remind you 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, and 36.  Each consecutive series is bigger in cylinder displacement that is about all that I know for a fact.  I would think that there is some correlation rather than random #'s.  Any how thought some of the old farts on here might know  ;D

luvrbus

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 07:43:23 PM »
500, I don't know why a Cat dealer can not answer it for you I have a book some place that lists the models and specs on all their engines since 1960 with serial number reading and crossover from highway engines to the equipment line for example the 3406 in equipment will always have 11N in the serial number has on every piece I have owned over the years On the old engines say a D333 that is model and you need the rest of the serial number to tell the application and ratings for that engine.I know what you are saying about the equipment like a 621 Cat scraper is 21 cubic yards and so on  .Check with a Cat dealer I know they sell the book and most salesmen will give you one   
 good luck

Offline TomC

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 10:26:06 PM »
Cats numbering system made no sense till recently, when their numbers represented the liter displacement.  Just about everyone now uses the liter displacement as their numbers.  Detroit Diesel's DD13, DD15, DD16; Cat's C13, C15, C18; Volvo/Mack's D11, D13, D16; and of course Cummins has to be different with their ISB, ISC, ISL, ISM, ISX.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal