Author Topic: Tiger Foam - Anyone used it?  (Read 4748 times)

Offline OneLapper

• www.markdavia.com
Tiger Foam - Anyone used it?
« on: December 16, 2008, 11:53:46 AM »

http://www.tigerfoam.com/

Does anyone have experience with this product?  I like the idea it's a DIY spray foam system.  I'm getting ready to strip the left side of the  interior, remove the rotting original insulation, and reinsulate.

Thanks,

Mark
OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com

Offline Jriddle

Re: Tiger Foam - Anyone used it?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 12:14:50 PM »
I bought some on EBay. I liked it a lot. It work well for me. I bought three kits. Two were new and one older. I got good deal on kits Three for the price of two. With that said only two worked. The older kit would not let part B out of canister. I will be needing one more kit to finish and will be buying a NEW kit as they have a shelf life and don't want to take anymore chances.  I think this stuff will cost you more than having someone do it for you. If you are like me I live far from someone in that business and not sure if I wanted it done all at once. I do not plan very far a head and this stuff is new to me and didn't want to cover anything till I was ready.

John
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9

Offline OneLapper

• www.markdavia.com
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 06:04:37 PM »
Thanks for the reply, John.  I work with someone that purchased a pallet (12 kits) and only used a couple.  She's selling them for $575 per kit, including spare spray nozzles.  My other option is to borrow a friends $7500 spray foam system.  That would be free, (except material), but it's in GA and I'm CT.  I'll be in SC in Feb with the bus and can pickup that unit, but I'm pulling the bus into the shop next week to tear in my winter projects before heading to SC.

Thanks,

Mark
OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 06:35:14 PM »
Never priced out the entire process BUT.  I have read here that having it sprayed is the CHEAPEST way to go and the added benifit is that the spray contractor will usually do the trimming.  Cheaper than going with foam polyiso.... board, not the pink or blue stuff.  The do it yourself foam was the most expensive option in those conversations by far.  The spray was also the best insulator and it made the bus more quiet by a surprising degree.  One Knut said that after he had had the bus sprayed he could no longer tell if the engine was running from the drivers seat....his lie, not mine.

2 cents,

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline Jriddle

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 06:52:24 PM »
I would be intersted in one kit depending on what shipping an handling would be. Email me if this is something that you are willing to do.

John
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 06:59:33 PM »
One Knut said that after he had had the bus sprayed he could no longer tell if the engine was running from the drivers seat....his lie, not mine.

Very funny John. I hope that he didn't spray foam his engine ;D ;D ;D. Really though, the spray foam has made a huge difference in the engine noise in our bus.

God bless,

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline OneLapper

• www.markdavia.com
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 07:20:59 PM »
I would think that spray foam would work really well filling in all the nooks and crannys above the engine bay.

John, sent you an email but it got bounced back.

Mark
OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 07:37:28 PM »
I used these on a room in my house due to limited acces of MBOB (my big o butt :D)

http://www.sprayfoamdirect.com/products/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&vmcchk=1&Itemid=1

I also wanted Closed Cell Foam, for the better sealing and higher R-value so make sure of what your getting.  Open cell has half the r-value and can let moisture through, but it is still better than nothing or fiberglass etc.

the guns get pricy and break easily.  

the tanks covered more than estimated, and i foamed the door to my bus while I was at it.

If i had to do it again, or if i do some more and other things,  I was strongly considering this gun, but you need a good compressor,

http://www.soythane.com/?q=node/5

once you have the gun you can spray the other products from Spraymax like bedliner and garage floor coatings, or foam other smaller areas, options are open.

HTH

oh yeah, the people here were quoting some high prices(3-5$/ft sq) so i did some of the job myself

where 'bouts in SC you coming to, and will you still be able to borrow your friends rig ??? ;D
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 09:32:57 PM by NewbeeMC9 »
It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

Offline Jriddle

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 08:29:56 PM »
Try again I just sent one to myself and it worked. You can call 775-777-5889

John
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9

Offline turbobrat930

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 10:23:58 PM »
Thanks for the reply, John.  I work with someone that purchased a pallet (12 kits) and only used a couple.  She's selling them for $575 per kit, including spare spray nozzles.  My other option is to borrow a friends $7500 spray foam system.  That would be free, (except material), but it's in GA and I'm CT.  I'll be in SC in Feb with the bus and can pickup that unit, but I'm pulling the bus into the shop next week to tear in my winter projects before heading to SC.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark, If you decide to go the route of borrowing your friends sprayfoam machine you could use my place to spray the foam. I am in Macon, about an hour South of Atlanta. I have 220V if the foam machine requires it, and I could also help you do it. I live on a farm, so have plenty of room... Just keep it in mind..and if that is the route you decide to go, let me know... Brad
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 10:46:52 PM by turbobrat930 »

Offline TomC

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 07:57:45 AM »
I had 2.25" foam sprayed in 1995.  It cost $1,600.00 for my 40ft'r.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline OneLapper

• www.markdavia.com
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 03:53:31 PM »
Going to be heading to Kershaw, SC at the end of February.  I'm organizing a two day car event at Carolina Motorsports Park.  Last year same time I took the bus down there, spent four nights and 1500 miles in it, and the mildew smell almost killed me.  This summer I stripped the right side of the interior out and removed all of the rotting, smelling, water soaked insulation.  I also removed an UNBELIEVABLE amount of trash, rotten candy, pens and pencils, and $3 in coins.  The wood was nasty, too.  I painted everything with KIZL sealer and installed foam board, siliconed the pieces in with foam friendly stuff, and used expanding foam from a can for the odd shaped places.  That work made a huge difference.  It's time to due the left side.

Brad, thanks for the offer, but it took me a week to get the right side done!!!  I have to do everything "just" right so it takes me forever.

John, I'll drop you a line tomorrow.

Thanks, Mark
OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com

Offline RJ

• Angola Coach Conversion "Aesop's Tortoise"
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 06:39:43 PM »
Mark -

Check your private email. . .

RJ