Author Topic: Stuck on the side of the road - UP-DATE  (Read 49952 times)

El-Sonador

Stuck on the side of the road - UP-DATE
« on: April 08, 2006, 08:53:22 PM »
I just blew one of the belts that drive the A/C compressor. It intern it knocked the main blower belt off its pulley, The bus overheated but thanks to the over-temp sensor, the engine shut down automatically before there was any engine damage.

I carry a full set of spare belts, But I could not figure out how to change them on the side of the road... It looks to me that the rear bumper has to come off to allow space to access the bottom main pulleys.

Does anyone know how to replace a full set [3] belts on a 1981 MCI-9 with 318N...

It is Saturday night and I still have 2,000 miles to go... Please help if you can.

Thanks
El-Sonador [aka Steve]

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
Re: Stuck on the side of the road - Help!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 09:06:20 PM »
Call me at 731-885-7460 and I'll explain it! no bumper should not have to come off! I've encountered several variasions of peoples rigging on slack adjusters that is why it is easier for me to tell ya over the phone then we can post which way worked after you are safely rolling down the road again! Bryce aka Busted Knuckle  :)
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

El-Sonador

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 09:27:47 PM »
Call me at 731-885-7460 and I'll explain it! no bumper should not have to come off! I've encountered several variasions of peoples rigging on slack adjusters that is why it is easier for me to tell ya over the phone then we can post which way worked after you are safely rolling down the road again! Bryce aka Busted Knuckle  :)

Nice talk'n to you Knuckle... In the morning I'll take some photos of the problem area and you will be able to see my dilemma.
I'll watch for your future post about help down South Texas way...

Thanks again
Steve

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 09:31:02 PM »
Hey Don or some of you other south Texas guys, maybe ya'll could help El-Sonador out! He's in McAllen and from what we discussed his back bumper is so close to the pulley on his 8V71 theres no room to get abelt past it! Like I told him gettin the old 1 off is as simple as cutting it! But that won't hepl him get a new 1 on! He's out of my area and without being able to actually look at it, it's hard to tell what he needs to do! maybe ya'll know someone knowledgeable in the area he's in he could call! Bryce aka Busted Knuckle

www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 05:38:34 AM »
I recently had the same problem with a 102A3. When I removed the AC compressor, it was very difficult to get the belts out from between the crankshaft pulley and plate that is behind the bumper. It almost seems like when the engine was re-installed, it should have been pushed about 1/4" further in on the cradle. Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline Sammy

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 07:07:40 AM »
Try Stewart & Stevenson Power Inc, 956-787-3812  - 24 hour number.
They are in Pharr,Texas
Here's one more: Valley Transit, 956-787-3812 or 956-423-4710 EXT. 210
They're in Pharr, Texas too.

I'd try to loosen the bolts that hold the bumper to the coach, just enough to sneak the belt on.

Hope this helps............... 8)

El-Sonador

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 08:56:41 AM »
Try Stewart & Stevenson Power Inc, 956-787-3812  - 24 hour number.
They are in Pharr,Texas
Here's one more: Valley Transit, 956-787-3812 or 956-423-4710 EXT. 210
They're in Pharr, Texas too.

I'd try to loosen the bolts that hold the bumper to the coach, just enough to sneak the belt on.

Hope this helps............... 8)

UP-DATE

I called Valley Transit, but because I'm private I had to call the head office - ext 210
No one in so I left a message
 - Waiting -

Offline Footloose

• RV in The Rio Grande Valley
Re: STUCK ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD - HELP!
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 09:18:39 AM »
What RV Park are you in Steve?
I don't have any local garage recommendations but there are (2) of us NUTS here in Mission and we may be able to put or heads together  to get you back on the road.

Call me 581-8807

Footloose

El-Sonador

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 09:29:37 AM »
I posted a new topic by mistake called... LOOKING FOR BUS NUTS IN SOUTH TEXAS...
I thought I was adding a reply to this post - sorry for any confusion

I explained the mistake and referred posters over to this topic...

The message was...

Looking for Bus Nuts in South Texas...

I'm looking for anyone that has or knows anything about MCI-9's 8V71's, or can recommend a good service shop [that can do road service] in the Rio Grande Valley area of South Texas.

Yesterday I was making my way from Mexico to Canada when I blew a drive belt on the A/C compressor. It knocked off the other two belts, took out the right side tail light wiring, damaged the temperature sending unit and broke a small airline going to the A/C compressor's slack adjuster. Unable to do road side repairs, so I had the bus towed to an RV resort near McAllen Texas, concrete pad, lots of room. My unit is an automatic so I had to pull the drive axels out for towing to protect the transmission.

Desperately need help to put everything back together so I can get back on-the-road-again [as Willy would say]... Cool

Any help to find any assistance in this area would be greatly appreciated.

- Still waiting to here back from Valley Transit -

El-Sonador

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 09:33:22 AM »
What RV Park are you in Steve?
I don't have any local garage recommendations but there are (2) of us NUTS here in Mission and we may be able to put or heads together  to get you back on the road. Call me 581-8807
Footloose

Nice talking to you Footloose, I left word at the guard shack to let you both  in if you can make it by this afternoon.

Much appreciated...

Steve

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2006, 09:47:01 AM »
Hey Steve I see from the posts that you are getting some response! Also as Jack pointed out the engine and cradle assembly in some of these buses may not get pushed all the way back in (when someone has had the engine out!). It also occurred to me that although I've never seen it that if not checked and left with loose U-bolts the cradle could actually work its way back toward the rear bumper over time! Might wanna check this out, while ya at it! If it ain't all the way in might could use a come-along from the front and pull it back toward the tag axle and then retighten the U-bolts holding the cradle in! Also if a person has access to a forklift you can put a large block of wood where the engine mounts into the cradle and show it with the forklift! I don't have a forklift so when putting engines back in I cheat and use the wheel lift on my tow truck to push on a block! Just a couple more ideas! Hopefully ya'll get r done! And if ya need anymore off the wall ideas to bounce around you can call me, maybe I'll think of somethin else, but after Jack's words of wisdom I'll bet it's along those lines where the problem lies!  ???
www.kylakesidetravel.net

El-Sonador

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2006, 10:24:37 AM »
Hey Bryce...

Been a long night for me, waiting in the middle of nowhere for a wreker, [that had to bring one in from Corpus Christie, TX] then having them take out my axles, then the 100 mile tow to a secure place. :'(
I have been busy this morning making calls and setting up a make-shift shop to attempt these repairs.

I'll take some photos soon and get them posted so you can see what is happening.
"Loose u-bolts" and "engine sliding back" is a scary thought -  ???
I will check it out and let you know if there is any evidence of movement.

THANKS TO ALL AND MAK PUBLISHING FOR ALL THE HELP SO FAR...

Steve

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2006, 10:33:16 AM »
El-Sonador,

I hope everything works out Ok for you, I'm very happy with the responce of our members! And you are in the hands of our most knolageable ones!

I myslef am on the Cape May Lews Ferry traveling from a visit with Bruce Knee, Back to New Jersey. The thought of breaking down always is more presant when you are

actually in your bus traveling!!

Keep us posted!

Nick Badame-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline Don/TX

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2006, 10:42:44 AM »
Looks like you are getting lots of info and help, I am in La Feria just down the road, got a cutting torch and some tools, let me know if I can help.  Call me at 956 797 3282

El-Sonador

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2006, 10:52:05 AM »
Looks like you are getting lots of info and help, I am in La Feria just down the road, got a cutting torch and some tools, let me know if I can help.  Call me at 956 797 3282

Footlose is over in Mission, he has a MCI-8 and said he will be coming by this afternoon.
A cutting torch may be needed, but not sure at this point...
You are more than welcome to drop by anytime and have a look.

I'll call you with the info

Thanks for your help

Steve

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal