Author Topic: Newbee 4106  (Read 13073 times)

Offline Madmike

Newbee 4106
« on: December 22, 2008, 11:26:20 AM »
Hey all!

I need advice on a GMC 4106. I do not have all the specs but I do know it has a 4 speed manual trans. The bus has been in storage for the last 6 years, it has been drivin every year but does sit through the winters and is driven very little in the summer. It had her engine, trans, and a conversion done in 94 and I bet it has less than 15,000 on it since then. My father in law has offered to give me the bus with the understanding that if I sell it, I will be fair in giving him his due. This to me is a very nice offer and I have been getting my hopes up. That being said, I would not be in the possition to buy a bus, but I would like to own one for awhile. I know it had a tune up last year and the Mech said it was in good shape with one of the air bags having a slow leak. I want to drive it about 1500 miles. I can turn a wrench and I am not affraid to work but there is a huge learning curve. I want to pick up the bus in MAY in the Upper U.P. and drive it via Indy to St. Louis. I would like to know about changing the fuel filters, what to do in the event of a break down and any recommend Mech in Greenbay, Chicago, Indy and St. Louis. Any tips for driving and what I need to look out for would be great. You guys have a great community and I am comming from Apachepopup.net, so this is a very large leap forward.  :o Oh yea I did not say but the bus is stored in doors and out of the weather.
You can have this bus when you pry her from my cold dead fingers.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
Re: Newbee 4106
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 12:46:44 PM »
Welcome to the madness! I say take your father in law up on the offer!
Goo back and use the archives of info here on the board and Either just start reading from the beginning (depending on how much time you have), or simply type in the model # or fuel filters, or road service or what ever ya want to know about and you'll find PLENTY of great info already here.

Then go up to the UP and meet up with Cody and go look the bus over. Cody can show ya "the basics" ya need to get on the road. From there make sure to take a laptop and you'll be fine even if ya have to contact us here the on board via hotel parking lot WIFI! ( I use it all the time! LOL )

And if ya need any other assistance we are always here to help! And also my contact info is always at the bottom of my posts! I grew up in INDY, and I know St. Louis well!

But the main thing is learn what ya can, and then start enjoying the bus! Be prepared, but don't plan to break down and you'll make it fine! ;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

cody

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 12:53:55 PM »
I'm not sure where bouts you are or just where the bus is but I'm in the UP, west end in the baraga area, I'm sure we could probably get you rolling easily enough. Plenty of time between now and july.  A 1500 mile start up cruise is about right to make sure the engine is properly warmed up lol.

Offline Utahclaimjumper

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 12:59:52 PM »
Mike, first determine if you have "spin-on" filters or sock type, they are available at NAPA stores. Allways carry spares with you. Tires and brakes are allways a concern, so eyeball both for condition and adjustments, go to an empty parking area on sunday and practice backing and shifting, get a feel for where the corners are on the coach and practice putting it where you want it. Make it a practice of leaving extra space between you and the guy in front of you, more than you usually do, these things dont stop on a dime, get used to stopping from speed.  Other drivers will NOT respect you because of your size, just the opposite, so get into turnig lanes and so forth early to give your self time to turn and change lanes before you get there, some dummy WILL try to beat you to a point and use up your space, plan on it. Wet pavement is bad news, altho you are heavy, with air brakes, and more rubber on the road, a bus will still slide on wet,(and its scarey). Its all a mater of experience so have fun getting some.>>>Dan
Utclmjmpr  (rufcmpn)
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed

Offline Madmike

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 01:02:54 PM »
Thanks for the imput! I will keep a positive frame of mind and look to you guys to stay inspired. The bus is in Big Bay. I would love to go and get it now but I don't have a snow machine. I plan on getting there and working and driving it for 3-4 days prior to the trip, it should have a shake down prior to my arrival. I want to take it to he 500 (as every man should go to at least one). I have been reading and I am on page 14, this will keep me going until May.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 01:20:28 PM »
I want to take it to he 500 (as every man should go to at least one). I have been reading and I am on page 14, this will keep me going until May.

Well by the time I was 25 I had been to 19 or 22 of them I lost count! But then again around the time I was 23 I remember someone coming up to me in the infield and asking me "who one?" I sat my cooler down, and sat on it and asked "You mean it's over?" Oh those were the days! We lived less than a mile from the gates to go into the "Infield Staging Area" where everyone goes in and parks the night before the race and parties all night then races for the infield once they open the tunnel! LOL!  We were actually almost 2 miles from the fourth turn and if we stood on the house or garage roof we could see the bleachers! It was great in the spring along about late March to mid April on warm days we could hear some of the teams out at the track doing tuning and testing! Then from mid April all the way to the end of MAY we could hear them all day every day! Oh man if I could go back to those days! There would be some changes made between then and now, but I wouldn't change nothing about them days!

I remember back then once I hit High School age if it was May and you wanted to find me, I was at the track! Man I got in soooo much trouble (really not enough because I did it yr after yr, and sometimes dad would play hookie from work and go with me!) for cutting school and going to the track day after day (usually only 3 to 5 times a week during the week and all weekend long! LOL!) ;D  BK  ;D

By the way you'll do fine and just ask ANY thing that you need too!
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Tenor

• Three Men and a Tenor
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 01:42:34 PM »
What a deal Mike!

Getting together with Cody is the best thing you can do!  I think the biggest learning curve is how to drive the stick.  With Cody there to show you the ropes, you'll be in great shape!  I bought my 4905 in Wisconsin, and brought it through the UP in February with no heat!  My first time driving it was coming out of Escanaba.  I made it about 2 miles before I had to give up and have my truck driver buddy take back over until we found a spot that he could show me the ropes.  I then made it all the way back to Lansing with little difficulty.  Good luck and welcome to the madness!!

Glenn
Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer

Offline TomC

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 04:02:22 PM »
Mike- one piece of advice, if you don't know already.  When you change the fuel filters, first run the engine so it is warm.  Then when you do change them, make sure you fill up the new filters with fresh Diesel fuel to the top so you don't loose your fuel prime.  I had one newby frantically call me cause he couldn't get the engine restarted after he changed the fuel filters and installed them dry.  There are many little nuiances you'll learn, just don't be afraid to ask questions-there is no such thing as a stupid question-just being stupid if you don't ask.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline niles500

• Niles500
  • ROSIE
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 12:51:16 AM »
*** I remember someone coming up to me in the infield and asking me "who one" ***

I slept through the ENTIRE race in '81, turn 3 - When I see you I'll tell you about the girl riding "bareback" and the old outhouses - LOL
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles

Offline RJ

• Vantaré Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 12:17:53 PM »
Mike -

The 4106 is a GREAT coach.  35' long, so it will squeeze into campsites and other tight spots the 40 & 45-footer owners only can drool over, gets relatively good fuel mileage (for a bus), has plenty of power for climbing RockyTop along with the big boys, ruggedly built with simple systems and no electronics to leave you stranded at Oh Dark Thirty.

OTOH, lots of complaints because reverse gear is "way too tall & too fast" with the manual transmission.  Actually, that gearing is fine - for revenue service when you're pulling out of a flat depot parking slot.  It's when the coach is being used as an RV is when the grumbling begins.

JD at C&J Bus Repair in Minneapolis is a good source for GM repairs in that neck of the woods.

Send me a private message (link to do so is on the left), and we'll talk more 4106 stuff, since I own one myself.

FWIW, HTH & Merry Christmas!

;)

1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline Madmike

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 07:18:09 AM »
Wow, I am so glad to get such a response! I will be asking for a ton of information from my Father in Law after the holidays. I want to make sure and have at least 3 fuel filters with me and I want to change one after we get her running and I do some practice laps up and down the road. I want to make sure I can change it even in the dark. I have been reading about fuel additives and I think it could be a good way to go. Cody you are not far from me and I would love to have you come and take a look at her, may be I could also meet you half way. I just want to make sure she is safe and able to hit the road. I know it is a good bus as it made the trip from Reno with out a problem and it does get driven every year, she does leak some oil but I think for the age it is as to be expected. Also thanks for the tips on the Fuel Filter, I would have slapped it on dry for sure. I will be printing a huge list to double check when I go up and I hope to by then have some spare parts. As for the 500 I have not paid for the spot yet.. is one parking lot funner than the others? I don't have a lot of time off so I was hoping to hit the race on my way back to St. Louis. I am very excited but I know the expense of a bus is gonig to be hard to swallow. I am also looking for a place to park this bad boy so if you know any one in the St. Louis and East to Ofallon IL please let me know. What would be a resonable gas miliage so I can start saving. I hope the price stay resonable... Ha Ha.. until summer. I will have to learn it all from filling all of the tanks, draining the wast water, putting in the oil and checking all the fluids, making the generator work, understanding the A/C system and driving. I Can't wait! I wish I was up there now, it will be like a working vacation, and week long tinker. Thanks for the info and I will continue to read read read.

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 08:07:13 AM »
Welcome Mike,

You might want to check into getting some type of road side assistance. There are several so you need to do your homework and find one that would work for you. You can search to find more but to get you started:

Link: Any Recommendations on Road Assistance Plans?

You can expect between 6.5 to 10 mpg depending on many, many variables. The 4106 is a wonderful machine, and a good bus to cut ones teeth on.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

Offline Utahclaimjumper

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 08:23:20 AM »
Mike, the fuel filters will be in pairs, my spin-ons are NAPA# 3118 and 3120. Check to see if yours are sock (messy)type.>>>Dan
Utclmjmpr  (rufcmpn)
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed

Offline Gary '79 5C

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 08:40:48 AM »
MMike,
If you need assistance in St Louis area, I can contact my PO who lived in NE St L. I believe I may still have some of his maint reciepts, as he farmed out all his maint. & upgrade work.

Take your time, be patient, go slow & enjoy the ride.

Good Luck,
Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ

Offline Madmike

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 08:24:27 AM »
I am still checking on the filters but I hope they are the spinons. I will need to get a gas can. It is a long ride to get her so I am hoping to load up with all the things I might need. Still working on that list! I wanted to know if you can change the sign in the front of the bus? I need the demintions as I am hoping to make a sign to go in there just for fun. I have also found out the Serial number is PD41062458, if any one knows anything about this bus please let me know. I also would like to know the Fuel tank Cap and tips for cleaning.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal