Author Topic: How many btu's for a basement a/c?  (Read 11258 times)

Offline ilyafish

• I am Alpha and Omega
How many btu's for a basement a/c?
« on: December 25, 2008, 11:42:52 AM »
Online guides are saying 9,000-10,000 should be fine.  I will only be using this when not in motion and will be using my OTR a/c while underway.

Thanks guys!  Time to go rip up my floor
Own: 1981 MCI MC9 w/
Veggie Oil Conversion
Live:  Flemington, NJ

1 Corinthians 9:19-22

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
Re: How many btu's for a basement a/c?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 01:46:43 PM »
Ilya,

Are you sure that you want basement air? What about roof air? I am just curious because if your basement unit goes out (I know you guys with basement units...it never happens ;D ;D ;D) you don't have air. If you have four or five 15,000 btu Due therm Dometic low profile units, and one breaks, no big deal. The band is happy because they can sleep, you are happy because all you have to do is take it down and get it fixed.

Just some food for thought.

Merry Christmas,

God bless,

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline TomC

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 02:04:31 PM »
My 40 x 102 bus has three 13,500btu Coleman roof airs.  I do not have any other a/c, but with 2.25" sprayed foam insulation, usually two do the job fine and one will keep everything cool once the sun is down.  If you use basement air, one 27,000btu (double 13,500btu unit in one) would be my choice.  Remember during the day lots of heat can come in just sitting still.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline John316

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 02:09:16 PM »
Right on Tom!!!

Merry Christmas,

God bless,

John

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 02:19:43 PM »
Ilya,

I am sure with John and Tom.  You need redundancy....especially in a system that will make the bus not habitable.  

The roof airs/heat pumps are the easiest to install and replace and many advocate for them for that reason.  If you duct them they are quiet enuf but less efficient.  Does not take up any basement space.  You will need two so three seems prudent.

The home stuff is more efficient but some say that they won't stand up to RV use.  There isn't much in those units that can flop around so I am a little skeptical that they won't last.  The only home units that have been used are the "Mini Split".  I think that is the way to go and I suggest you install two of the 27KBTU units and put one heat exchanger in front and one amidships.  Lots of choices so be careful for the best deal and quietest operation.  Uses no ducts.  read up on these.

Basement air is popular but it needs ducts and uses a bay.  Nick has two in his bay and I think they are heat pumps.  He has all the info and sells the basement airs.  No reason not to buy from him especially considering the support.

You can't size these things using "HOME" formulas.  Beside simply need more BTU you have the added consideration of needing to col the bus down FAST ater a heat soak.

HTH

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline sivrtnge2

• 1994 EAGLE 10/45 CAULDWELL CONVERSION
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 02:48:16 PM »
I have 3 basement heat pump units. I love them. My only drawback is heat. My coach is total electric and I have toe kick heaters. I would love to have one of the diesel fired units for heat as well as to help start this beast in the winter.
--
BILL

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 04:22:53 PM »
Hi Ilya,

Merry Christmas!

The average basement A/C or HP system is 15,000 btu's for the single and 27,000 btu's for thr twin system.

With that said, the avarage car A/C system is around 5 tons [50 to 60,000 btu's] tonnage is very important for moving vehicles.

The heat gain in the sun, the traveling speeds in the wind, and the ability to cool off a 100 deg. + temp when parked in the sun

is calculated inti every vehicle on the road. If you notice that it usually takes 5 min's to cool off your very hot car and it could take

as much as 4-6 hours to cool off your home in the same temps should tell you something.

Good Luck
Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2008, 05:38:01 PM »
I have had both and presently have two roof units.  I will never have another coach with roof units.  The noise, the vibration and the dripping water have turned me off forever.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline belfert

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2008, 08:37:23 PM »
10,000 BTUs won't even make a dent, particulary on a hot day if you have large windows (like my bus).

I only have a single 15,000 BTU unit in the front area of my bus and I might add another one because one doesn't do much on a hot day.  I have spray foam in ceiling and walls, but I also have four 3' by 4' windows.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline John316

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 05:24:38 AM »
I have had both and presently have two roof units.  I will never have another coach with roof units.  The noise, the vibration and the dripping water have turned me off forever.

Len, that is interesting. We haven't had any problems with ours. What model do you have? What brand? I am just curious, because we will want to steer clear of those in the future. We have five 15,000 btu penguin Dometic Low profile roof airs (my dad always said go for redundancy ;D ;D ;D), and we love them. I just wondered why you didn't like yours.

Ilya,

Also, get a roof sealant, like Dicor  http://www.rvupgradestore.com/browseproducts/Dicor-EPDM-Rubber-Roof-System-Lap-Sealant.HTML roof sealant. That link is from a quick Google search. We sealed every single rivet on the roof of our coach. Otherwise you might have a little leak somewhere, and you don't want to fix that later, once it has ruined everything.

JAT

God bless,

John

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 06:38:57 AM »
John,

Admittedly, they are 1994 models, both Dometic.  Perhaps just replacing them would make a difference, I don't know.

I had basement air in my 4104 and it was whisper quiet just like at home.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline John316

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2008, 06:53:22 AM »
Len, Thanks the explanation. Basement units probably would be quieter.

God bless,

John

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2008, 11:34:49 AM »
Ducting the roof airs will quiet them down a lot.  In your design make way to allow the opening of the duct right under the unit....much more efficient that way if you get in a bind somehow.

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline niles500

• Niles500
  • ROSIE
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 01:37:15 PM »
If you use "basement" units just make sure they're rated for Marine or RV use - HTH
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles

Offline PP

• Will & Wife
    • Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2008, 04:22:06 PM »
We've had both and I couldn't agree more with Len. Rooftops were noisy, water running off the roof, vibrating the whole coach. The latest experience was with 2000 Coleman Mach's. The others were on an older SS. We currently have three basement air and their effecient, quiet, couldn't ask for better. But we're planning on removing the front one to make room for a hide-a-way TV. Just my 2cents worth.
Good luck, Will

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal