Author Topic: Is copper pipe OK for water?  (Read 12205 times)

Offline Kevin Warnock

Is copper pipe OK for water?
« on: January 05, 2009, 09:31:50 PM »
I've read many posts over the years about what kinds of plastic pipe to use for water in bus conversions. I was wondering if copper is also OK? I am comfortable with installing copper plumbing for water in my house, but have never used plastic. I am putting the water tanks inside the living area, so the supply side of the water system will be heated like the rest of the bus when in use. The waste tanks will be in a heated bay, except for the black tank, which won't be in a heated bay. Copper isn't really that expensive given how little of it I need, so if it's OK to use, I would go that way. I like that I can pressure test it immediately, instead of waiting for the PVC cement to cure, if I were to use PVC. I know almost nothing about PEX.

Thanks

Offline Melbo

• MC8 under construction
Re: Is copper pipe OK for water?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 09:38:59 PM »
I see no reason that you cannot use copper if it is properly supported

I used some copper but mostly pex which is MUCH easier to use and more forgiving and MUCH more flexible.

Watch for places where the copper comes in contact with other surfaces and vibration may be a problem

Use rubber holders and good mounting brackets and you should be fine

Just my opinion

YMMV

Melbo
If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF

Offline letz4wheel

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 09:45:03 PM »
You going to get some flexing in the bus. I can't imagine this would be great long term on the copper. You main concern would be minimizing any rubs. If it were me I would drill the thru bulkhead holes a little oversize and use a good thick grommet. Make sure you secure it well from movement.  I wish I could say I have done it or knew someone who has but I can't. I was thinking of using pex on mine and with the gatorbite fittings it makes it a breeze.
If you decide to use copper please keep us posted on how it turns out and holds up. There seems to be a lot of copper tubing in the engine compartment and mine is holding up ok.

'78 MCI MC-8
4 speed
8v71

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 10:13:24 PM »
MC,

Copper simply looks fantastic in there with all those right angles and parallel runs and all polished up to a mirror gleam.  Simply fantastic!  Look at the 91 Newell bus on ebay for $35,000.  It has the best looking wet bays I have ever seen. 8)

On the other hand:  Pex will stand up to being frozen and not burst.  It will take 1/10 the time to install and cost 1/5 to just throw numbers out there.  I suggest you invest your time (most precious) in other things that need it and have no alternative.  That said, I use copper tubing and sweat the joints and have never had a failure. ??? :P :)

HTH,

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline Kevin Warnock

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 10:46:06 PM »
PEX will stand up to freezing and not burst? So that means I would not need to winterize the bus if I move to a cold part of the country? If so, that alone seems to indicate I should learn to install PEX. Is there a book on PEX? Where do I buy it? Home Depot here does not sell the tubing, but does sell the connectors. I live in California so my bus has not seen freezing cold so far.

Thanks

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 11:33:14 PM »
I know I said that...but.....  What I meant to say is those that have chosen Pex have said that it is less suseptable to freezing. :-[  I take that to mean that if you freeze the pipes at a lower and lower temp that the copper will split first.  It make sense intuitively that plastic that has some give will handle freezing "better" but I don't think I have ever heard anyone say it was "FREEZE PROOF".  Don't throw out that book on winter proofing your install just yet. ;D

There has been talk that went over my head about a certain typ/mfr of Pex connectors being less satisfactory that the other.  The spendyer one was the best I think.  Get that story straight if you go with Pex.

FWIW,

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline CraigC

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 11:45:57 PM »
In 1995 I did all of my 4104 in copper used unions on each side of in line values. It was beautiful when first installed and polished. I have not keep the polishing up, not worth the trouble in my opinion. I have not had any problems with it. I also live in CA.

I recently had to re plumb a house. I bought the tools needed for PEX, it was easy, quick, zero leaks first time. Price very reasonable. it will be very easy to make repairs if needed. I also liked no risk of setting a building on fire.

Like John stated above I saw 3 types of fittings and clamps. My opinion the most expensive crimping tool, and fittings looked like they would do the best job. 

I found everything including instructions on how to use it at Lowe's. I also found some excellent info. about it on line.

In our area all of the new houses have PEX each fixture is home ran back to usually the laundry room each line has it's own shut off.

Freeze proofing you will still have faucets, water pump, values, and etc.

I would use PEX and not look back.
Craig C
4104 8V71TA/V730

Offline letz4wheel

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 04:48:32 AM »
My Uncle, who is a plumbing inspecter, has said "pex will hold up to some freezing BUT the fittings usually don't." Use that for what you want  ;D
'78 MCI MC-8
4 speed
8v71

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 05:14:42 AM »
We are going with PEX, since it doesn't split instantly like copper does when frozen. The down side to PEX is just that some rodents like to chew on it :( :D ;D

God bless,

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline Utahclaimjumper

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 08:00:49 AM »
Years ago I had to remove all the copper in my 06, all had been frozen and had bursted. I went with PEX with push-in fittings, it has frozen twice since and simply pushed the line out of the fittings, no harm no foul. Simply push the lines back into the fittings a WALLA! back in business.>>>Dan
Utclmjmpr  (rufcmpn)
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 09:31:52 AM »
I've had copper pipes freeze before. It isn't the first freeze that split the copper.

The copper will stretch permanently some with each freeze until it reaches it's limit, then it splits.
The PEX doesn't take a permanent set when it stretches due to the frozen water. So it returns to size when the water thaws.

With PEX, it is easier to make all your runs 'home runs' from a central manifold. If you are careful in your placement of the tubing, draining the system will be as easy as opening a few valves & letting gravity do the rest.

Having a freeze tolerant system will make future maintenance less frequent.  ;D

PEX also comes in different colors, so it is easier to keep the hot & cold supply lines straight.  8)
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline busshawg

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 09:40:21 AM »
As mentioned PEX might be more tolerant but it will freeze and burst. Having said this I would go with the PEX. I'm no plumber but that's what I installed and it worked very well! Another advantage is that if you want to make any changes later it is so simple, the fittings are re-usable with little to no prep. PEX worked very well for me.

Have Fun
Have Fun!!
Grant

Offline belfert

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 11:50:22 AM »
I used PEX for my plumbing.  I bought Flair-It PEX pipe because it is made with the PEX-A process that makes it more flexible than other PEX pipe.

I used Sharkbite fittings as recommended here, but I do have trouble with two of the fittings leaking.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline zubzub

• '53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.
    • pics of my bus etc....
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 01:05:04 PM »
Pex.  Pex Pex.  Having learnt to sweat joints as well as i do it seems a shame to use Pex but it installs so much faster, and is less likely to split from freezing.  I use the  the solid steel bands that are then crimped, love it.  The crimper come in different designs I like the small one with cammed mech., as it gets into tighter spots.

Offline belfert

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 01:37:06 PM »
Don't you folks winterize to prevent freezing?  Everybody seems to be praising PEX because it can freeze, but the fittings usually can't freeze.  I turned off valves to the water heater in my old travel trailer and they split with the little bit of water still in them.

I suppose if you are on the road and happen to get caught in freezing weather then PEX might help.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal