Author Topic: Love my Bus but...  (Read 75718 times)

Offline Sammy

Re: Love my Bus but...
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2009, 04:31:27 PM »
The only thing between batterys and ECM is 2 circuit breakers in rear electrical box. They are both 12volt power to DDEC.They are CB19 and CB20, both are 20amp breakers.

Offline NJT 5573

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2009, 04:37:38 PM »
There is a rebuilder in Mn. that will save you alot of $ if you need your box checked out and repaired. You can next day round trip.
"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high

Blacksheep

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2009, 04:39:37 PM »
Sammy, let's say that even though those breakers are good and not tripped, it is still possible that voltage could have passed on to the ECM and smoked an internal part that would operate the throttle, yes, no?

We have determined that the TPS is good and working within the parameters both engine running and not running!

My next test will probably be to find a ddec 2 ecm for a 8v92 and use it as a donor by first removing the R3 field relay, hooking up the donor ecm just to see if I have throttle and idle! If end up having both, then that would tell me that something definitely smoked in mine. If not, then I'm back to square one!

Ace

Blacksheep

« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2009, 04:40:15 PM »
NJT do you have a contact name/number?

Ace

Offline NJT 5573

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2009, 04:49:27 PM »
Ace,

Its General Diesel and Electric in Hibbing Mn. (218)262-4553. They have been very good to me and their prices are better than competitive. If I didn't have the ability to next day them, I would have ripped my DDEC 2 out a few years ago. Detroit Diesel wanted $1700 for the Allison Selector pad when I spilled pop in it and Randy sent me one for $250 next day. They are the National Rebuilder for Detroit Diesel and stock every part made. They have been known to waive testing costs for the Bus Nut crowd but its still a great deal no matter what. Tell Randy Kwajdiver (Bill) and I sent you. I think he fixed Bill up although Bill never reposted.
"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high

Offline Sammy

« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2009, 05:07:56 PM »
DDEC is usually pretty durable BUT as with any electronic component,anything is possible.
Remember the checks you did with the ProLink for the TPS, they were good.

Offline edroelle

• 1998 Royale Prevost
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2009, 05:27:44 PM »
Ace, 

As I understood, your engine was not running when your voltage regulator was cranked to the max.  If this is correct, your ECM would not have seen over voltage.

Ed Roelle
Flint, MI

Blacksheep

« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2009, 05:45:22 PM »
Sammy yes the checks for the TPS are good but that doesn't mean something in the ecm didn't get smoked or does it?

Ed yes, I remembered plugging in the relay and going to the front of the bus to start it. When it started, I noticed the 2 gauges peaked  out or pretty close to it and immediately shut it down!

I tell you, I'm getting so confused with this stuff it isn't funny!

Over dinner tonight the subject came up (by me) about all the electronics that have been, and will be, a continuing nightmare not to mention costly, whether it's from my stupidity or just old age and it might be a good move to just part ways with this bus and IF we want another to look for an older more reliable one! Well, at least were both thinking on the same page now anyway and to make the decision to sell out might be a little easier now that I know she would agree!
Frankly speaking, I can see the writing on the wall, a little ways down the road!

Ace

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2009, 05:52:01 PM »
Ace,

It seems to me that the problem with selling is price.  Aside from this being a generally weak bus market, you would not be selling a running coach and could be forced to look at unfair offers.  It would appear that you have to get it started anyway.  Once it is running, you will be able to evaluate selling it with a much cooler head.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline Dreamscape

• Dreamscape
  • Global Moderator
  • 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2009, 05:53:43 PM »
It's your choice, but if it were me I'd hang in there and find the problem. If you sell now with the market saturated with coaches you will loose out on your nice Prevost and a lot of cash.

Don't give up, hang in there and figure it out.

Just think of all the work you have done and you're thinking of giving it all up. :'(

Good Luck,

Paul

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2009, 06:15:16 PM »
I'm learning to Love my Bus Butt too, especially since it always following me :D ;D

Anyhoo, Never stop learning, and I have a nice reliable MC9 we can discuss how much cash you can give me with your trade ;) :D,  I'm finding that it is not only without electronics, it also without some electrics :o :D

We want to play in the bus this weekend and it is supposed to be cold and I don't want the dryer to freeze up.

Everything is relative, :-\

If this is this the worst problem you ever have then you'll continue having a great life :),   just think of all the people that are missing out on bus problems due to lack of a bus :)

Frustrating?, yes,    end of world? don't think so,  stay with it and you'll have that laff of how you fixed it eventually,  and thanks for sharing so we all learn ;D
It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

Offline Van

« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2009, 06:26:33 PM »
Hang in there pal,It's all good.Remember when I broke my engine ,just got it home and I was ready to let it roll down the mountain into lake mead ::)(that would have been just plain wrong).Good luck Ace stick with it .Van
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2009, 07:59:30 PM »
Ace,

Get a DL3!!! You will have to raise the roof, and upgrade some things, but it is a awesome bus. That is the first forty five footer, and the last non computerized coach (well not quite so computerized). I think that you would love it, like we love ours (okay, other than a little "leaning" problem right now ;D)

Sorry to hear about all of your troubles. I hope you get things going your way soon.

God bless,

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2009, 09:12:37 PM »
Ace call Said (pronounced Sah-Ead) over in Orlando! I will bet $ he'll have you up & running in no time! Electronics diagnostics is his specialty! He ain't cheap, but DANG HE'S GOOD & he's honest!
I am confident he can end your frustrations quick and relatively cheap! (compared to swapping this & that, & that & this!) He will talk to you about what happened and go over everything he is doing while doing it, so not only will you get it fixed, but learn how he does it at the same time. His # is 407-851-8225. He is a computer whiz on these buses and the electronics on them. Tell him Bryce, Gene 'n' Donna, & Robert from TN with the Setra's and MCI's told ya to call! (he doesn't know we are down to 1 MCI yet! LOL!)
Also I have about 3 spare DDEC units for an 8V92. (which is yours I, II, or III ?)  FWIW HTH! ;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2009, 05:46:06 AM »
I know where there is an old & reliable classic bus in central FL. It has never failed to start since I have owned it (never mind I have not ever tried to start it  ;) )

The grass always seems greener on the other side of the fence . . . .
The devil you know vs. the devil you don't . . . .

Seems a repower to a mechanical motor would be cheaper than starting over . . . .

But, what do I know, I'm not using mine . . . . yet. . . . ;D
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal