Author Topic: Fan drive for cooling  (Read 4532 times)

Offline gm4106

Fan drive for cooling
« on: January 08, 2009, 05:10:47 PM »
I Have a GM 4106 with a 8V71TA V730 I'm thinking of going with the mechanical fan drive for cooling the radiator.  In place of the oil drive one (hydraulic). Has any one done this? Does the mechanical drive use a different fan then the oil drive one? Is there a after market fan the pulls more air out there I could use? Any help on this would be great!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks
GM PD4106-1689 8V71TA  V730
Mount Holly,NC

Offline Utahclaimjumper

Re: Fan drive for cooling
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 05:18:35 PM »
Why would you want to do this??? you have the most effective system in place now and problems are rare.>>>Dan
Utclmjmpr  (rufcmpn)
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed

Offline pvcces

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 07:11:48 PM »
GM4106, I think that your radiator is drastically undersized. You might increase your cooling by a few percent by locking up your fan, but a more effective radiator setup should give you better results.

For people runnig the automatic at around 7 mpg, an additional cooler is often used to prevent overheating. That's without addressing the extra horsepower you get with the TA setup.

I did assume that everything in the system was in good shape; if it's not, that will magnify your problems.

Make sure that everything is in good shape before you make any changes, if you can.

Tom Caffrey
Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska

Offline NJT 5573

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »
Fans use a common bolt pattern for the most part. You can go to more blades and also work on the shroud, the tighter it is the better.
"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high

Songman

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 05:08:09 AM »
Yep.. I was looking to add hydraulics to my other Eagle that had a belt drive. My new Eagle came from the factory with hydraulics so I am happy!

Offline roger dolan

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 11:25:00 AM »
I would definitely lock up your fan.  I helped a friend with a 4106 with a heating problem.  After new smaller injectors, a major tune-up and a $1200 seven core radiator, we finally locked up the fan.  Heating problem solved!!  The oil drive is like a torque converter in a transmission with opposing fins.  Apparently his was worn and not spinning the fan fast enough.  We even put a valve in the return line where the oil dumps back into the pan to fill the drive housing with oil.   I made a chain coupler.  I will post a photo if I can figure out how to do it.  I don't think that there is much loss of power as the drive churns the oil and probably heats a little as well.  I think that GM discontinued the oil drive as there was heating problems esp. when running air conditioning on a hot, hilly day.   If you lived closer I would make one for you as it just takes a little machine work.   I thought that it was such a good idea  I locked up my fan even though I didn't have a heating problem.  With your engine being turboed you will generate more heat.   Roger4106 

Offline roger dolan

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 01:50:12 PM »
Here is the photo to go with the reply post from Roger4106 posted today at 12:25 p.m.  I just got help from nic on how to resize a photo.  Hope this gives you an idea of what I was talking about.  Roger 4106

Offline Sojourner

• Jesus Love You!
    • Jesus Love You!
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 02:23:23 PM »
Interesting...However, could you re-size it larger from 3.58 KB to near 128.00 KB? It too small for my eye to the detail.

Sojourn for Christ, Gerald
http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him

Offline roger dolan

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 08:25:42 PM »
  Try clicking on the picture and see if it will enlarge so that you see more of the detail. I put a larger picture on, but I believe that you can enlarge it by clicking on the picture.

Offline Sammy

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 04:34:50 PM »
I converted a few RTS buses from the fan torus to a belt driven style fan. I had a donor (junk) RTS to strip parts from. Easy swap,will probably work on other V-drive models.

Offline TomC

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 11:26:42 PM »
On my AMGeneral V drive, it had a belt drive and a reverse rotation fan.  I converted it to a direct drive gear that reversed the fan so I could run a conventional right turning 8 blade fan. It is surprisingly quiet, but does pull lots of air.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal