Author Topic: What was going on at Quartzsite AZ  (Read 13106 times)

Offline Van

Re: What was going on at Quartzsite AZ
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2009, 06:14:14 PM »
Dallas ,no worries bud.Having gone down this same road with the same plant I've become de sensitized to the problems .Now when I start having things falling off the eagle then I'll be pretty upset,but thank god we're good in that respect. :D
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline BJ

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2009, 02:18:22 AM »
What was happening with the high temp shut down switch? Doesn't an eagle have those?  I have been shut down several times with MCI's in colorado due to the engine overheating..Not Eagles? :o

Offline busshawg

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2009, 07:43:48 AM »
Glad to hear everything is working out, and glad to hear everyone is getting a long. Just a note , through all these posts there are guys such as myself who read every line with an open mind wanting to learn. Just want to thank you guys for all the info.
Have Fun!!
Grant

Offline Van

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2009, 08:03:20 AM »
What was happening with the high temp shut down switch? Doesn't an eagle have those?  I have been shut down several times with MCI's in colorado due to the engine overheating..Not Eagles? :o

Bj Hi,my eagle is an 1989 model 15 ,thought to have had a ddec originaly but found out it had a (MUI)mechanical unit injection 6V92TA in it ,So it doesn't have a shut down flapper there like maybe some of the other models might have had.that being said the conditions were as such,very steep grade(up),unfamilliar road at night,and blind curves with no where to pull off the pavement,I'm kinda glad that it didn't shut down otherwise it could have turned out to be a very dangerous situation for us as well as for others trying to make that grade.As stated in an earlier post that we were moitoring the temp gauge which was no easy task as the bulb was very dim and had the mag light in hand checking every 30 seconds or so.

Let me say this real Quick,a rear engine vehicle is something new altogether for us ,so not being able to hear the engine and having a auto trans kinda put the kibosh on pulling the grade in an efficient manner .No excuses implyed here but had it been a standard probably would have had the engine at the proper RPM range to make it to the top.Now that being said it doesn't cover the over heat problem ,but it shure didn't help any that's for shure.While easing up for a blind sharp curve I actually should have had it spooled up for the climb at the end of the curve ,which we had no idea was coming up.What I have found out about an auto trans is relying on it to down shift in time for a hill is just plain wrong and after sharing the experience with the folks in Quarzsite  it was explained manual down shift to maintain rpms is the way to go,live and learn I guess  ::)
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline johns4104s

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2009, 09:24:35 AM »
Dallas,

What temperature do you have at the engine or water jacket when you had a reading on your drivers gauge of 240?

John

Dallas

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2009, 09:55:42 AM »
John,
Usually the temp runs anywhere from 160 to 180 when the dash gauge shows 240. That is at the water jacket where the water manifold connects to the head. Even after the engine has sat for an hour after shutdown, if I start it back up again, it will climb to 240° in just a few minutes.
The engine is cool enough that I can put my hand on the side of it in many places without getting burned too quickly.

Dallas

Dallas,

What temperature do you have at the engine or water jacket when you had a reading on your drivers gauge of 240?

John

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal