Author Topic: Update from Doug with the PD4106  (Read 149753 times)

Offline BigDougInOregon

• Dulcius Ex Asperis!
    • Dulcius Ex Asperis!
Re: Update from Doug with the PD4106
« Reply #150 on: February 05, 2009, 07:39:09 AM »
   I would think that an air lock on an 8V71 in a 4106 would occur in the top (towards the builkhead) cylinder head. As the engine was filled with water, it would push the air up into this cylinder head. Is there a petcock somewhere on this cylinder head or thermostat housing?  Jack

Don't know Jack.  I couldn't find one but that doesn't mean it isn't there.  I was kind of overwhelmed with the whole series of events (constant overheating and having to pull over every 10 miles, almost being road pizza due to the catastrophic failure of one of the trailer tires (oh I wonder where that tire went), the front right air bag wigging out and over inflating enough it was scary to drive until I figured out how to manually adjust the bag from inside at the air suspension controls, and probably was just blind.  I was just reading the cooling section of the maintenance manual and was a little shocked to see that the system uses 92 quarts of fluid (~23 gallons).  I could have sworn being told it uses about 10 gallons.  Maybe the 10 gallons is just the radiator without the driver heating.

Doug
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

Hoping for the open road someday in our PD4106-1035!

Check out our family blog:  www.TheFergyFarm.com

Offline BigDougInOregon

• Dulcius Ex Asperis!
    • Dulcius Ex Asperis!
« Reply #151 on: February 05, 2009, 07:43:17 AM »
Hi Doug is there not also a engine manual?  You didn't mention it in your list of manuals.  The engine manual is very detailed, and while it doesn't cover all aspects of the engine (some of which are covered by the coach manual) it definitely covers some things that the coach manual lacks.  I have a separate pdf of a manual that covers the 4-71 and 6-71 in all it's road applications truck, transit and coach and this is the one that covers the cooling fan hub and other specifics of the cooling system not mentioned in the coach manual.  Out of curiosity is this the case with your manuals?

Nope, just the parts, maintenance and operator manual.  I would love to have a digital copy of an 8v71 engine manual.

Edmund Burke

Offline BigDougInOregon

• Dulcius Ex Asperis!
    • Dulcius Ex Asperis!
« Reply #152 on: February 05, 2009, 07:53:23 AM »
this goes way back to the beginning of the thread but I thought  I would mention it.  On a 6-71 there is apparently a vent that can be opened on the top of the thermostat, this is done when refilling the cooling system.  I came across this last night while studying up on my engine.  Someone here hopefully can confirm that 8V71s have this as well?  Also, I have a pdf of the maintenace manual for coach and engine of my 4104 which I had printed for ease of reference. I'm pretty sure I would be lost without it.  If you do decide to keep this bus, try to get hold of the  books for your bus.  Zimtok was the original scanner for my books (thanks again Zimtok) but that was a labour of love as he has a 4104.  Maybe someone here has the 8V71 book scanned?    I have always used factory manuals to help me stay on top of my old vehicles, they don't show everything but they help, and also can be used as reference points on these long complicated threads.

I would think that an air lock on an 8V71 in a 4106 would occur in the top (towards the builkhead) cylinder head. As the engine was filled with water, it would push the air up into this cylinder head. Is there a petcock somewhere on this cylinder head or thermostat housing?  Jack

Yes on most of the 8V's in GMC's, there is suppose to be a petcock to expel the air on top of the thermostat housing. Sometimes I've found it on the back of the surge tank, where a line goes from the top of the thermostat to the upper back side of the tank.
Unfortunately, I had Doug look for one in both places, and it's been removed. I then had him remove the line from the top of the housing and he reported that only coolant came out... no bubbles.
This now makes sense after looking at the photo's he sent me. The upper radiator hose is suppose to go from the thermostat housing to the top of the radiator... if you look in the pictures I posted on here... it's actually drooping like it's headed south.
I'd like to know where the upper hose from the radiator is routed.

Oh, and Doug, Yes, I'd like a copy of your CD manual. Very Much, Please Please Please Please!

Dallas

I'll send you a link to the file in your PM.  I will do the same for anyone who asks.  Like I said though, the file is 148MB so be patient as it downloads.

Edmund Burke

Offline BigDougInOregon

• Dulcius Ex Asperis!
    • Dulcius Ex Asperis!
« Reply #153 on: February 05, 2009, 07:56:43 AM »
Question for you Dallas.  Should this bus have power steering?  I got quite the workout driving her and I think my biceps grew several inches in the time I drove her.  Looking at the engine picture, I am pretty sure I see a power steering pump on the right, but maybe not.

Edmund Burke

Offline BigDougInOregon

• Dulcius Ex Asperis!
    • Dulcius Ex Asperis!
« Reply #154 on: February 05, 2009, 07:59:13 AM »
talking through my hat here but looking at the pics from Doug and Barn Owl, Doug's looks like one of those emergency rad hoses with the internal spring so they don't collapse when they are bent.  They create a lot more resistance than the one in Barn Owl's.  Also while there is no pet cock on Doug's thermo housing there is the small coolant line where it should be, but as Dallas had you crack that one????  weird how the coolant line heads south like that.   Where is a bus nut when you need one??  Probably the El Paso ones are wintering  in Guanajuato.

Yep, those hoses are the ones with the springs inside.  They are in bad shape too, which is why I was trying to replace them.

Edmund Burke

Offline bigjohnkub

• pd4903-188 and now pd4107
« Reply #155 on: February 05, 2009, 08:05:15 AM »
Just thought I would throw this into the equation. Motors (and that is a brand name) has repair manuals for all diesel engines. They are available at all good parts stores. Mechanics call them the bible. Also if I can offer a stop over place on I-20 between Dallas and Shreveport, just P.M. me. We have about 600 acres that the cows don't use all the time.
  Big John
Big John  Tyler Tx PD 4903-188 & 4107
871 dd, 4 spd Fuller.
LOVE MY BUS!!!!

Old4103

« Reply #156 on: February 05, 2009, 08:40:38 AM »
Doug,

Yup,

It should.

Dallas

Question for you Dallas.  Should this bus have power steering?  I got quite the workout driving her and I think my biceps grew several inches in the time I drove her.  Looking at the engine picture, I am pretty sure I see a power steering pump on the right, but maybe not.

Offline BigDougInOregon

• Dulcius Ex Asperis!
    • Dulcius Ex Asperis!
« Reply #157 on: February 05, 2009, 08:50:22 AM »
Doug,

Yup,

It should.

Dallas

Just gets better and better.

Edmund Burke

Offline zubzub

• '53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.
    • pics of my bus etc....
« Reply #158 on: February 05, 2009, 08:58:36 AM »
The good news on the power steering is that it's power assist (pretty sure) so it won't be too hard without.  The other good news is you're strong enough to drive it without, must be all those kids hanging off you ( I know mine keep me strong). The PS is  probably out of oil or something, the  least of your worries.  The other good news is that once you have the power back you will really enjoy it.

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #159 on: February 05, 2009, 09:10:52 AM »

What, your biceps? Or the power steering? ;D ;D ;D

God bless,

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline BigDougInOregon

• Dulcius Ex Asperis!
    • Dulcius Ex Asperis!
« Reply #160 on: February 05, 2009, 09:17:04 AM »
The good news on the power steering is that it's power assist (pretty sure) so it won't be too hard without.  The other good news is you're strong enough to drive it without, must be all those kids hanging off you ( I know mine keep me strong). The PS is  probably out of oil or something, the  least of your worries.  The other good news is that once you have the power back you will really enjoy it.

Just learning as we go.  Yes, she was drivable, but I was thinking the whole time that "these full time bus drivers must have had huge arms, and an oversized left calf".  lol.

Edmund Burke

Offline BigDougInOregon

• Dulcius Ex Asperis!
    • Dulcius Ex Asperis!
« Reply #161 on: February 05, 2009, 09:17:50 AM »

What, your biceps? Or the power steering? ;D ;D ;D

God bless,

John

Not the power steering unless it is a self healing system.   ;)

Edmund Burke

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
« Reply #162 on: February 05, 2009, 04:15:44 PM »
Doug,

Looking at the photo of your bus engine, I see you have the power steering pump for a hydraulic assist system. That is what I had on my bus, and long story short, it failed because my reservoir cracked. Nimco sells a complete retrofit kit (good take offs from salvaged buses) that will update the bus to integral power steering. The kit includes a Sheppard power steering box, linkage, reservoir, and pump for ~$450. It took one full day to do and I can turn the wheel with one finger. Money well spent for me. If you get around to it, feel free to contact me and I will answer any questions you might have about the changeover.

Please count me in for a link to those manuals.

Thanks,

Barn Owl
L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

Offline steve5B

« Reply #163 on: February 05, 2009, 05:00:06 PM »

About the oil sample, SPEEDCO will do one , takes around 3 minutes.  They will also supply you with the bottle.

Steve  5B....
WWW.WINNERSCHOICECORPORATION.COM

"It's all in the name the name says it all"

Offline BigDougInOregon

• Dulcius Ex Asperis!
    • Dulcius Ex Asperis!
« Reply #164 on: February 05, 2009, 05:16:58 PM »

About the oil sample, SPEEDCO will do one , takes around 3 minutes.  They will also supply you with the bottle.

Steve  5B....

Thanks Steve.

Edmund Burke

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal