Author Topic: Externally mounted shower question  (Read 3327 times)

Offline WEC4104

Externally mounted shower question
« on: February 09, 2009, 05:51:56 PM »
One of the recent threads discusses finding potable water and has branched into some talk about tanks sizes.  I don't want to hyjack that one, so I am starting this as a new topic.

My question has to do with members who may have experience with externally mounted showers.  My bus has a normal indoor shower in the bathroom which drains to the gray tank.  But I have been considering supplimenting this with a hand held shower to be used outside.  My 4104 still has an operational emergency door in the rear and there a perfect spot underneath a false floor to store the coiled hose and hand held unit.

I recently reworked some of the internal plumbing lines and ran the cold and hot lines back to that area (capping them off for now).

I have three sons (ages 9-16) and an external shower could come in handy, especially at a beach or lake for rinsing off sand or mud.   I guess a full fledged shower (in a bathing suit) using a biodegradeable camping type soap, is a possibility also.

Anybody have this feature, and have any insight to share? Have you adjusted your tanks size or the water amount you carry?
If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline Tenor

• Three Men and a Tenor
Re: Externally mounted shower question
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 06:39:40 PM »
I've been thinking of putting one in my water bay.  Also thinking it would be useful after draining tanks, or working on the bus and not wanting to track stuff in. 

Glenn
Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer

VanTare

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 06:50:38 PM »
I have had 1 in the past on Newells and miss the feature on this coach and I am planning to install 1 they are nice for the grandkids and the swing out faucet is another nice feature in the water bay

David

Offline Sean

• Geek.
  • '85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"
    • Our Odyssey
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 11:15:56 PM »
I have one in one of the bays.  Actually, I'm using a bath/shower valve, with a diverter.  In the "normal" position, the outflow goes to a hose bib, and I use that mostly to wash up after dumping, or working on the bus.  When we need to use the shower head, we operate the diverter and, presto, outdoor shower.

I confess, though, that mostly we've used it to wash the dog.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Offline jackhartjr

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 01:29:57 AM »
They are GREAT for letting the kids wash the sand off at the beach before getting back in the bus!  (And the kids love them!)
Jack
Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)

Offline TomC

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 02:25:04 PM »
I bought the external shower kit with mounting box from Camping World.  Although it is extremely cheap in construction, mostly use it as an external sink when at a campsite.  Also is nice for wash off after beach.  Mounting it inside the cargo compartments with a substantial fixture would be much nicer then the el cheapo door I have on the outside-but then again, I have a transit without big compartments.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline gus

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 07:03:23 PM »
I thought about this for my grandkids but decided a hose does just as well, sure a lot simpler.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline WEC4104

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 07:37:24 PM »
A good deal of our camping is at commercial campgrounds, so there is the usual faucet post several feet from the bus. An inexpensive "Y" fitting and a short hose gets me a simple foot rinsing station. 

The biggest benefit from the hand held shower is the availability of heated water. Unless the outside air temp is above 80F, or the age of a person is under 14, hitting them with a 62F water spray above the knees is going to wipe the smile right off their face.

It's funny, but when I am backpacking with the Boy Scouts, I have no problem with sleeping on a hard floored tent, washing in cold water, dealing with crude bathroom facilities, and other challenges. In fact, I kinda enjoy it.  But put me in my bus and I want CREATURE COMFORTS!

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 09:55:06 AM »
Just happened to be looking through NFPA 1192 RV Standards (I know, not enough to do).
Anyway 4-6.6.3(c) An outside shower hose assembly shall have a vacuum breaker to preclude cross connection unless the extreme end of the assembly is more than 12" above the ground in its free hanging position.

FWIW

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal