Author Topic: Diesel Fuel  (Read 12443 times)

Offline Beatenbo

• 1993 MCI 102 C3 Cat Power
    • The Beatenbos
Diesel Fuel
« on: June 28, 2006, 09:48:15 PM »
Got my FlyingJ magazine today. Had a big article about Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel. Be sure and get one. Interesting note. Changing their truck stops now.Somone told me they got less MPG with FlyingJ fuel. Their article spoke of less milage, less sulphur. Charlie

Moof

Re: Diesel Fuel
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 10:08:28 PM »
I guess I'm a bit chatty tonight.  I am on the Community Action Committee for our local Flint Hills Refinary.  We have been doing a lot of talking about the low sulphur fuel.  I haven't talked to any diesel experts but from what I have gathered from the refinary experts there may be a lubricity issue with diesels not built for this fuel.  If this is true I expect there are additives that will help.

Offline TomC

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 10:44:55 PM »
I've already been running the Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel in my '84 Mercedes Turbodiesel, and truth be told, don't feel any difference in performance.  Maybe a bit less smoke, but still can smoke if I stab the throttle too much.  You'll notice now there is a decal on the Diesel pumps that indicates whether it is low sulfur Diesel (500ppm) or ultra low sulfur Diesel (15ppm).  Might be a few cents more, and I'll bet that hardly anyone is going to have anything happen to their injectors.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Frank @ TX

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 11:59:51 AM »
I think they are selling it here in PA already.
Is there a additive for it or not ?

I've heard a few folks say already that "there should be an additive for it when it gets sold" .
Does anyone know about one that will work with DD, or any other engine?   :o

Ncbob

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 02:18:39 PM »
I've been told...some years ago that ATF  Type "A" (cheap) is a good valve top oil for diesel...but I'm sure someone will have a better recommendation.

Bob

Offline Kristinsgrandpa

• 1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 06:58:16 PM »
I would hate to be using ATF and have my tank checked by the State/Feds looking for off-road fuel. They are the same color. Any tint at all might be enough to cause major deflation of the wallet.   

Something to consider.

Ed.

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 09:17:15 PM »
During Katrina, it was legal to purchase red dye fuel and use it.  I was the gov't way of helping to ensure there would be no shortages.  I figure that's a free pass to get out of "red dye" hot water.  As few miles as we put on, its very conceivable that the red dye could stay in there for years.

Its only 20 cents a gallon cheaper these days, a much smaller % of the cost of fuel these  days, hardly worth the risk.
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 09:33:31 PM »
During Katrina, it was legal to purchase red dye fuel and use it.  I was the gov't way of helping to ensure there would be no shortages.  I figure that's a free pass to get out of "red dye" hot water.  As few miles as we put on, its very conceivable that the red dye could stay in there for years.
Its only 20 cents a gallon cheaper these days, a much smaller % of the cost of fuel these  days, hardly worth the risk.

Yes you are correct, but along with the dyed fuel the supplier had to give you a notice from the gubberment stating that the taxes had indeed been paid on that fuel! I know we were at Katrina & Rita relief for 38 days straight! I still have a copy of those statements on each bus just incase!  ;D BK
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline brojcol

• Jimmy
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 06:13:16 AM »
Do any of you KNOW of an instance where a RV'er was fined for having red fuel in their tank?
"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate

Offline TomC

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 07:01:06 AM »
The red dye that is used for Diesel has a definite chemical makeup to it.  While you might be initially sited for the red color of the fuel, once it had been analyzed at the lab and found that it was auto trans fluid, you wouldn't be sited.  It is still a mess that requires you going to court and paying the fines.  In the end you'd get your fines back, but in my opinion, just not worth the few cents you save.

One point along these lines-it may be a real deal to buy a bus in the first place, but remember this is a heavy duty commercial vehicle that uses the most expensive, largest equipment available on the road.  Translated-buses cost alot to run and to repair.  If you don't have the spare funds to maintain them correctly, maybe should consider a bit smaller of a vehicle.  Buses are as close to a land yacht (and the costs that yachts incur for upkeep) in overall cost.  The only difference, you pour money into the sea with a yacht, with a bus you just pour the money down a sink hole.  But-I'm a nut, and it is my hobby.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Frank @ TX

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 07:13:04 AM »
I think they are selling it here in PA already.
Is there a additive for it or not ?

I've heard a few folks say already that "there should be an additive for it when it gets sold" .
Does anyone know about one that will work with DD, or any other engine?   :o

So. the answer seems to be NO, other than ATF no one knows of a lube that can be put in the tank to help with the dry fuel.
Since we carry a bit of engine oil replacement with us , would it hurt any thing to use some 40wt in the tank at fillup time ?
How much would be the right amount per 100 gal ??

Offline boogiethecat

• HeartMagic
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 08:33:51 AM »
1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca

Offline Beatenbo

• 1993 MCI 102 C3 Cat Power
    • The Beatenbos
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 03:45:15 PM »
I am concerned about my 2 stroker being lubed right, but I have been fooling with buses since I was a teenagerl ( a ong long time) and I am on my tenth bus. I have driven over a million miles in the music business and I can't remember but one time in over 40 years in a private coach being question about any thing much less any kind of fuel check. I had a GA trooper give me some flack about 20 years ago about a car tag on a bus. The only problem over the years has been a few speed limit discussions. I can't imagine a can of ATF causing a problem. Happy busing, Charlie  ;D

Ncbob

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006, 05:10:53 PM »
My thoughts on a qt. of ATF in a 140 tank are that it's going to be soooo diluted that anyone sticking tanks wouldn't care.

The DOT, State Inspectors, or whatever are more interested in nailing the OTR trucker who're trying to beat the system.  These guys have to buy fuel stickers for the States they run in and use one helluva lot more fuel in a month than we could use in a year. IMO, if they want to test my tanks for off-road fuel I believe I'd tell them...they've got too much free time on their hands!

FWIW

NCbob

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2006, 07:39:11 PM »
They have been rumored to check tanks at a rodeo or cattle auction or such since farmers are likely to use off road and be tempted to use it, plus theres a collection of tanks to check.
It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal