Author Topic: Moab, UT -- Considering for spring break  (Read 10679 times)

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
Moab, UT -- Considering for spring break
« on: February 20, 2009, 06:53:20 PM »
I'm considering heading out to Moab, UT to check out the National Parks during my kids spring break.  I've looked and the National Parks campgrounds do have room, but may not have any upon my arrival.  I'm wondering if any of you know of any good boondocking places I could stay for a week with the bus?  I'm kind of just looking for a place to park away from the beaten track (and people) and use as my home base to explore from.  Any ideas?

Offline letz4wheel

Re: Moab, UT -- Considering for spring break
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 07:28:51 PM »
I know a lot of that land out there is forest service land (pretty much everywhere the four-wheelers ride) I think it is all open to dispersed camping. You might want to give Sean a shout as he seems to have done a lot of bussing out that way.
'78 MCI MC-8
4 speed
8v71

Offline Paladin

• Dave Knight
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 07:42:35 PM »
Brain,

Utahclaimjumper may know some places, that's in his neck of Utah but if you pass through Salt Lake and have a moment I'd love to meet and chat.

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 07:53:23 PM »
Brian, there is plenty of dry camping off hiway 191 south and north and also on hiway 313.If they haven't stopped it parking was allowed in the overflow lots for the parks.We never have trouble finding a place to dry camp in Moab
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Utahclaimjumper

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 08:23:11 PM »
If you would rather not dry camp, a very nice stop would be at Gouldings at Monument valley, you could drive thru the valley up to Moab then on to Arches national park and still not be too far from base camp.
Look up Gouldings (with an S) .com for info, very well managed by the Navajo nation,... hook-ups if you wish, dry camping if you wish, Major supermarket, large fuel station, very nice restaurant, museum, gift shops, motel, all in one place and resonable prices to boot.  State Hwy. 191 is a two lane good condition asphalt with good shoulders and many stoping places along the way, many "spur of the moment choices".>>>Dan
Utclmjmpr  (rufcmpn)
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed

Offline Tom Y

• 80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 05:39:44 AM »
Brian, Isn't Utah under 20 feet of snow? Or is your kids spring break late? I figure you are going back to your roots or your buses roots. Taking your bus out to show it where its engine came from? Have a safe trip.  Tom Y
Tom Yaegle

Offline BG6

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 08:22:25 AM »
Brian, Isn't Utah under 20 feet of snow?

Not Moab.  That's in the southern part of the state, lower altitude.  They get snow, but it doesn't last too long.  Most of the year, it looks like where Wile E. Coyote is chasing the Roadrunner.

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 08:53:45 AM »
Hey Tom,  I've heard that part of Utah gets pretty nice during the day during early April.  I'm hoping that to hold true this year.  The national park reservation system says the campgrounds are usually full on the weekends starting in late March.

UtahclaimJumper, thanks the non-dry camping idea.  I know we will choose the boondocking route ourselves as we prefer to get "away" as much as we can while on vacation.

luvrbus, thanks for the feedback on hwy 191.  I was hoping what you stated would be the case.  I'm looking forward to some nice sunrises and sunsets over the desert and across the rockies off to the east.  :-)

I'll ping Sean as well and see if he has any thoughts.  I searched his blog, but didn't find anything where he had posted about the area.

Paladin, I don't think we will go all the way up to Salt Lake City.  It would be kind of out of our way.  However, you never know! 

Thanks for the ideas guys!

skipn

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 09:26:42 AM »
Brian,

So how far south are you headed before turning west?

Skip

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 02:44:56 PM »
Hi Skip,

We'll head down to Des Moines, IA and then head west on I-80.  Then we'll head down to Denver and go up and over the mountains into UT.

Why, you going to be down in the area at all?

-Brian

skipn

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 02:47:27 PM »

No :(

Just hoping for a good travel report on what's along the way so I can
 mark off places to see.

Sounds like a fun time

Skip

Offline skihor

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 03:38:19 PM »
Hwy 128 between I 70 and 191. Follows the Colorado river. Outstanding views of the biggest red rock walls you have ever seen. Several campgrounds and some free stuff between. Just a few miles from Moab. Also near the intersection of 128 and 191 there are several rv parks. I once tried to fill my water after boondocking and they would'nt allow it. Prolly the same for dumping. Just stay one nite and enjoy the internet and related services. I think there is a place on the south side of Moab that you can dump and fill, but the name escapes me.

Don & Sheila

Offline niles500

• Niles500
  • ROSIE
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 06:32:38 PM »
Brian - there are primitive campsites on the rim at Canyon Lands NP just North of Moab at the end of 313 - HTH
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles

Offline kwidd

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 09:00:02 PM »
Brian I have a brother that lives outside of Moab. I can give him a call and see if you can park in his yard. What days are you going to be out this way? thanks Kent

Offline Dreamscape

• Dreamscape
  • Global Moderator
  • 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 12:13:09 AM »
Brian, Have a fun and safe trip! Sounds interesting, I visited St. George once and found it beautiful. I know it's no where near where you are going but great country none the less.

If you ever make it back to Texas, you know where to find us!

~Paul~

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal