Author Topic: '04 no mo  (Read 6433 times)

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
'04 no mo
« on: June 29, 2006, 06:51:03 PM »
Well, after agonizing for several months and considering all our options, we went and bought a motorhome (this one is a step or two above the typical "sticks 'n staples) but a motoorhome nonetheless.

The 4104 just needed more than I could get done and we have been living with a coach that didn't move for several years. It has always been a case of time, money and energy all coming together at the same time.  I'm finally retired, have a large shop with a pit, could probably find a way to finance this project, but my energy level just wasn't there.  Going out to the shop was becoming a chore and not fun any more.

I have looked at quite a few completed conversions but my wife or I rejected them all for one reason or another.

We took a ride down to Lazydays in Tampa and found this '94 Vogue Prima Vista that seems to be in great shape, made the deal and brought it home last weekend.  It runs great and everything works.  It just doesn't make my heart sing like the 4104.

Tonight, I was sitting out in the '04 and the old girl almost made me cry thinking about all I have done and all that's left to do. :(  The fact is, it probably would have never would have gotten done.

Anyway, I'm still a busnut and I'm quite sure there will be another bus in our future but not right away.

I hope you guys will still let me play in your yard.

Len Silva

Here's a couple of pics.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Dallas

Re: '04 no mo
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 06:57:09 PM »
Dammit Len, You know you will always be welcome here no matter what.8
You shouldn't even have to ask.

Dallas

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 07:11:30 PM »
Len,

Why don't you host a rally at your place, [I'll help ya]  and we will trick everyone into helping ya complete your 04.

We will call it Extreme Bus Makeover, we'll have it done in a weekend!

Maybe get some TV show to film it!

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Ace

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 07:39:01 PM »
Len what is your plan for the 04? I have a friend who is looking for deal and he is here in lakeland! How much work does it need and does it run?

Ace

Offline phil4501

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 07:47:27 PM »
Congatulations on the new moho, post some pics of the 4104

Offline Casper4104

• My site - no bus pics yet.
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 05:21:17 AM »
 ???

What does she still need Len?
If a half a hen lays a half an egg in a half a day - how long would it take a monkey with a wooden leg to kick the seeds out of a dill pickle?

Offline brojcol

• Jimmy
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 06:11:41 AM »
Len,

I feel your pain.  Sometimes your torn between wanting something that's great that you can enjoy now, or something that's really great that you MAY be able to enjoy sometime in the future.  But there is no law that says you can't still work on the 04, as a hobby. 

Have fun!  It sounds to me like you made a wise choice.  (Happy wife, happy life!)

Jimmy
"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate

Offline Len Silva

• Leonard Studio
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 06:15:56 AM »

.......  But there is no law that says you can't still work on the 04, as a hobby. 

Jimmy

Oh, yes there is!

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Offline Len Silva

• Leonard Studio
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2006, 08:03:26 AM »
???

What does she still need Len?

Here's the status of the '04.  I don't have any decent pictures right now and will have to clean up the shop a bit to get her out and take some.

The bus is in basically good condition and was converted probably in the '70's by Lyn Coach in NC.  They are no longer in business. The interior is done in a teak Formica, kind of like a 70's Bluebird center bath.  All the appliances are that old and need replacing.

I bought it around 1986 and we used  it a lot for 8-10 years while my daughter was growing up but not much since then. I started to refurbish it around 1999 but had the rug pulled out from under me with the stock market bust.  I worked for Lucent and had a stock option that was going to pay for it all but it went up in smoke in 2000.

It runs good but hasn't been started in about 5 years.  I have every confidence it will start and run OK.  I believe from talking to the previous owner (20 years ago) that the engine has about 75-80K SMOH.  Not much smoke but lots of oil leaks.  It will blacken the back of the bus and tow car in a couple of hundred miles.

It has a new Dometic central air conditioner about 90% installed but never lit up.

I have a new Sealand toilet, not installed.

Have new Velvac remote/heated mirrors not installed. They will need some modification as they are long arms and flat mounting.

Here's all the negatives:

It desperately needs paint.

It does not have spring brakes.

The tires are at least 30 years old, tube type radials on split rims. They look great but I wouldn't drive on them.

The engine runs well but has a vibration around 1500 and visible runout in the flywheel, it might be warped.

It has the original booster power steering that is a bit sloppy, kind of tiring to drive.

There is no generator.  It had one of those god-awful Onan air cooled diesels that I sold with the intention of replacing it.

It needs new batteries.

I built plywood/fiberglass tanks but when I tested them a couple of years age there was some seepage.  They would need to be replaced.

I haven't yet decided what I'm going to do with it but the pressure is on to do something. It's going to end up parked outdoors to make room for the Vogue in the shop. That will really put the pressure on  :).

Len

Hand Made Gifts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal