Author Topic: Sealand toilet observation  (Read 7355 times)

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
Sealand toilet observation
« on: June 29, 2006, 07:42:53 PM »
After a couple of bouts of odor in the coach, I'm thinking it is the design of the SeaLand toilet. I've done a smoke test and everything else is sealed.  The opening on the bottom of the toilet is about 4 1/2" going into a 3" PVC pipe. The seal/gasket that goes between the toilet and floor flange has a sealing area of about 1/16". As I have investigated this I though maybe part of my toilet was missing. I've checked and this is the way it is made.
 I looked at the Thetford toilet and it seems to be a good design. Nice wide gasket, plenty of surface area to seal.  Anybody else looked at this setup or put any thought into it?
                                                                       Work?/Play safely Jim
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
Re: Sealand toilet observation
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 03:56:15 AM »
Jim,

Which model sealand do you have?

I never had that problem with any sealand's    Hummm....

Is your tank properly vented?

Do you have the proper floor flange?

Let me know.

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 05:26:37 AM »
Make sure the overflow has water in it or is blocked with Silicone. That is what I did to mine, blocked it with silicone. I do not remember the brand, but I believe all of them have an overflow that can let odors back up into the coach.
Richard

Jim,

Which model sealand do you have?

I never had that problem with any sealand's    Hummm....

Is your tank properly vented?

Do you have the proper floor flange?

Let me know.

Nick-
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 05:15:20 PM »
Thanks for the response, I remeber when yu did the silicone in the overflow,  I did not use silicone, but as I test I blocked it with duct tape. It does not seem to be the problem.
 The toilet is a Sealand Traveler #491103  or the 511.  Proper floor flange? So far in my checking there is no special flange for this brand of toilet. The flange I have is the standard HD/Lowes type.  The only thing I have been able to find is an adapter from SeaLand to convert from a 2 bolt flange to a 4 bolt flange. This time the seal/gasket is the one from SeaLand, SeaLand is stamped right on the gasket.
 As I sit and contemplate the meaning of life and the design of toilets, I'm starting to think that the SeaLand is a poor design. I'm wondering if others who have had an odor problem had the same type of toilet?
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

Offline Stan

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 05:22:05 PM »
I used a couple of Sealand toilets with no problems. I used the foam rubber donut style seal from a RV store. I don't know if it was the right type but it worked.

Offline ChuckMC8

• 1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 07:48:18 PM »
I have a Sealand china bowl and it works great. If the silicone gasket leaks around the flush "ball", you will lose the water in the bowl and when that happens, you will get the odor. If your tiolet is holding water as it should, I'd check for vent problems with the holding tank and make sure the P traps on the sinks have water in them.
 The only real downside is that gasket is expensive. Before you replace it, clean the ball and gasket thoroughly and apply some silicone grease to the nylon ball. That will usually help with the gasket seal. If that doesnt do it, replace the seal with a new sealand silicone gasket. Here it cost $40, but fixed the leak.
  Sealand is one of the premium toilets and a proven design. I love mine! Hope this helps-
Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 08:03:14 PM »
Yea Chuck,

I'm thinking Jim has a venting issue also. I have the Magnum Opus China and never have any smells.

But, I know that all my vents are piped proper.

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline tekebird

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2006, 03:28:24 AM »
My sealand also seems to loose bowl water....also seems to have a low flow rate.....which when flushing leaves a small ammount of water in the bowl anyway.

Any ideas.

Offline ChuckMC8

• 1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2006, 03:35:34 AM »
Doug, the water valve on the side of the toilet may have a restriction in it. THe RV places sells the replacement valve, and its EZto put on. I would say that mine leaves about 2 cups fresh water in the bowl after a flush,and that seems about right-
Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal