Author Topic: Intro  (Read 32627 times)

Offline PacNWNomad

Re: Intro
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2009, 11:30:20 AM »
Here's one from CG in Oregon...Supposedly stretched to 45', etc.
It's been listed for a while, so may be available for a good price.
http://salem.craigslist.org/rvs/1050971805.html

LOL Love the description. "this bus has everything".

Offline PacNWNomad

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2009, 11:32:19 AM »
Before spending the big bucks on a coach, you need to purchase a couple of books.  Spend the $40 or so to buy a copy of The Bus Garage Index, published by Bus Ride magazine, an industry trade journal.  Lists bus garages all over the US & Canada, including contact info.  Best investment you'll ever make in your coach for being on the road and needing service.  Available from www.busride.com, link to order is in the LH menu off the home page.

The second book I'd recommend highly is Larry Plachno's Beginner's Guide to Converted Coaches.  It's slightly dated, but the information contained therein is very insightful, from this long-time industry veteran who's also the publisher of National Bus Trader, another industry journal.  Available from Amazon or direct: www.busmag.com.

Wow, thanks for that!

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2009, 11:41:24 AM »
Hi Tamri and Family!

Welcome!

What part of the country are you from? Maybe we can direct you to a qualified bus tech to check some out for you as needed.

Enjoy your new found hobby
Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline RJ

• VantarĂ© Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2009, 11:58:15 AM »
Tamri -

FYI, Bryce Gaston (aka Busted Knuckle or BK) & his bus company are about 3 hrs drive from those two coaches I shared with you in a previous message.  He has commented here often that they're in Nashville frequently, so maybe could kill two stones with one bird?

Just thinking at the keyboard. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline viento1

• my website
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2009, 12:31:42 PM »
"BSG inspired name" I don't get it?

Welcome, I have 4 kids and the bus, in my opinion, is a great way to travel from place to place. To do it full time, i like the idea of a smaller more maneuverable coach and your trailer.  But there are just so many things to consider. OH ya, insurance companies are not known to be great at paying in a timely fashion so the good news is you get to think bus for 48% of your day for even longer.

Ok, it's time to go on another road trip.
www.randalclark.com
MC5

Offline Lee Bradley

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2009, 12:37:13 PM »
Tamri,
I am assuming you are currently in the Pacific NW. Two places to check with for conversion inspections would be Infinity Coach in Sumner, WA http://www.infinitycoach.com/ or Southern Oregon Diesel in Roseburg, OR http://www.southernoregondiesel.com/ both of these are familiar with the mechanical systems of the bus and the conversion systems. I would look at a newer bus with computer controlled engine and transmission probably a 4 stroke diesel vs. 2 stroke diesel, I bought a 2 stroke (8V92) because I grew up with 2 strokes and like them but they are not going to get the MPG and they getting harder to find good mechanics to work on them. Infinity Coach did the lastest conversion of the Odyssey http://ourodyssey.blogspot.com/, I am sure Sean would share his experiences with them. I bought a Neoplan Cityliner (very similar window layout to the Odyssey) in large part because of the larger amount of glass; it is almost like being outside inside. Also the square corner roof, gives you good head room up to the wall and it feels roomer than the older round cornered buses. IMHO

Offline PacNWNomad

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2009, 01:47:09 PM »
Tamri -

FYI, Bryce Gaston (aka Busted Knuckle or BK) & his bus company are about 3 hrs drive from those two coaches I shared with you in a previous message.  He has commented here often that they're in Nashville frequently, so maybe could kill two stones with one bird?

Just thinking at the keyboard. . .

;)

Thanks for the tip!

I am so glad we started researching now, I'm feeling a little dizzy from information overload lol!

Offline PacNWNomad

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2009, 02:09:10 PM »
"BSG inspired name" I don't get it?

Welcome, I have 4 kids and the bus, in my opinion, is a great way to travel from place to place. To do it full time, i like the idea of a smaller more maneuverable coach and your trailer.  But there are just so many things to consider. OH ya, insurance companies are not known to be great at paying in a timely fashion so the good news is you get to think bus for 48% of your day for even longer.

BSG = BattleStar Galactica.

Yes, we're geeks, and we OWN it.  ;D

Going to talk to dh tonight about the possibility of the bus/trailer set up. We'd never considered it, and had been set on the bus and Suburban. This is certainly something to think about. Not sure if going w/o a car is an option, he probably needs it for ease of use for getting to worksites.

Offline PacNWNomad

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2009, 02:10:00 PM »
Lee, thank you for the information!

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2009, 04:47:20 PM »
Welcome to the madness :o

Don't forget MAK
http://www.busconversions.com/

Get the mag,  they are going through some changes but still the highlight of my month and they are trying.    paying for the shipping helps get it quicker too

if sombody is getting rid of old mags then grab them too.

Bus charter places usually have mech. that will check out bus for you.
It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

Offline Sam 4106

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2009, 06:08:22 PM »
Hi BG6,
I have not seen the roof structure on any GM model other than our GM4106, but it does not have a frame member running lengthwise in the center of the roof. It has two frame members running lengthwise at about the spacing of the engine cradle supports, so having our A/Cs and vents in the center of the roof didn't compromise its strength.
Thanks, Sam 4106
1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2009, 06:52:31 PM »
Tamri,

You should get your husband on here. Since he will be the one working on the bus, it would be good if he read here too. Maybe you can flag threads for him of something. Sorry to say but your husband will be the keys to the bus "go or no go" ;D 8) 8) ;D.

Just a thought.

BTW your price range will affect how many repairs you have to do on your bus. Newer, nicer, more expensive, (often NOT always) means less repairs, less to get it up to par. The 45ers are going to be a lot more expensive (again not always but most often) than 40 footers.

We love our DL3 with a Detroit Diesel, Series 60 engine (I spelled it all out guys, that way she didn't have to ask what a DD S60 is.), which is one of the best engines on the market, and we have a Allison B500 transmission, which is also one of the best transmissions out there.

HTH

God bless,

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline PacNWNomad

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2009, 06:56:51 PM »
You should get your husband on here. Since he will be the one working on the bus, it would be good if he read here too. Maybe you can flag threads for him of something. Sorry to say but your husband will be the keys to the bus "go or no go

Soooo.... Not to get all persnickety on my first day and all, but are you saying girls can't be mechanics and fix things?

This is a joint venture, and yes, he'll be reading too.

Offline viento1

• my website
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2009, 07:09:07 PM »
I Love it, this is going to be a train wreck. The truth is if the guys on this forum were single they would be asking if you had a sister (geeks are hot) Besides If your other half is not a "go" than maybe he can go:)
Ok, it's time to go on another road trip.
www.randalclark.com
MC5

Offline PacNWNomad

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2009, 07:11:40 PM »
I Love it, this is going to be a train wreck. The truth is if the guys on this forum were single they would be asking if you had a sister (geeks are hot) Besides If your other half is not a "go" than maybe he can go:)

Well, my sister just happens to be a certified mechanic and auto body repair, and also drives a forklift.....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal