Author Topic: Buying a bus to take to Florida or in Florida  (Read 10805 times)

Offline Povertyhill

Buying a bus to take to Florida or in Florida
« on: March 05, 2009, 05:47:48 AM »
Has anyone had experience with buying a bus either in Florida or from another State and taking it back to Florida to convert to a RV?

I am sure this has been brought up before but being a newbie I did not see much about it.

When I contacted the State of Florida they state I would need a CDL license because a bus is a bus until it is converted. I would also have to register it as a bus. If I bought it out of State I would have to get a temp tag from that State.

When I contacted another State(SC) where I at one point saw a bus I thought would be a good project I found they would let me get a temp tag but was only good in the State and the vehicle could not be taken out of the State and I would still have the CDL requirement as I hold a Florida drivers license.

I am sure others have been through this and I have seen where some people have just slapped a tag on a bus and driven it home but with my luck I don't think that would be a wise thing to do.

I had liked the idea of converting a bus since I got rid of my bounder some years ago and this is the first obstacle I see that I would have to find a way to work out. Anybody done this before me that can offer advice?
Thanks

Offline grantgoold

Re: Buying a bus to take to Florida or in Florida
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 05:53:30 AM »
I have heard many folks say "strip the interior of seats,place a porta potty, folding cot and a hot plate inside, get the bus inspected by the DMV and have them registered the new bus as an RV". Worked for me in CA.

Good luck!

Grant
Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California

Offline Povertyhill

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 06:02:31 AM »
I had heard that was one possible way.

I don't know how the person I am buying the bus would feel about me removing the seats to do that since some of the buses are located in County Government lots but I may resort to that.

I am a retired low voltage guy so I would have no problem sticking in some wiring for a light or 2 (Florida says I need some 110 wiring) and plumbing (a porta potty). Didn't say anything about a cot but easy enough to ad a bed!

Thanks

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 06:43:56 AM »
When I bought mine in New Jersey and registered it in Montana, all I had the dealer do was title it as an RV.  It was previously titled a commercial bus.  All the sellers did was check the box on the temp title and registration that it was a motorhome.  When registering it, the question about converting never even came up.
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

Offline belfert

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 07:57:35 AM »
The bus I bought from Easter Bus Sales was already titled as a motorhome.  Easter had removed a bunch of the seats and the remaining 8 or 9 pairs of seats were all unbolted except one pair of seats at the very front.

This certainly wouldn't work for a bus purchased from the government.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 07:59:05 AM »
A few ideas, alone or combined:

Hire a busnut with a CDL to drive it to your place.

Find a bus broker for your state that knows what he/she is doing to get the registration changed to RV. The government people cannot be trusted to tell you what to do in this obscure, rarely used situation. They are conditioned to go the long and hard way, say no, or make stuff up. After all, who is going to punish them for telling you wrong?

Dealer plates in your jurisdiction? Whatever the motor vehicle dealers do to temporarily drive their purchases from place to place.

Get a tow truck and have it towed home.

Of most importance, be sure it is insured properly if it is driven home. Even if you have to insure it for a month as a bus and hire a driver, still cheaper than if something goes wrong.

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline Tom Y

• 80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 09:12:17 AM »
I bought 1 bus from Az and 1 from Mo. Both times I bougth a permit to move about 15.00 each. I was told I could run them back to Pa with the permit. Of course I did not get stopped, so maybe I was in the wrong.  Goodluck   Tom Y
Tom Yaegle

Offline RJ

• VantarĂ© Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 09:38:19 AM »

Povertyhill -

(What an appropriate handle for a busnut!!)

Save yourself the grief - buy one in FL that's already converted.  If you don't like the floor plan or colors, it's a lot easier to change than start from scratch.

The market's in the toilet right now, you can get some great deals for about 1/2 - 2/3s of asking price - look for the newest chassis you can find.

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline Highway Yacht

• *****Jimmy*****
  • Locust, North Carolina
    • WWW.MciBusTalk.Com
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 11:56:40 AM »
I bought my bus out of state.. The bus came from Virginia Beach, Va and I live near Charlotte, NC.. I rented a car and drove the 7 hours up there...went to the Virginia Tag/Driver's license Office with title in hand and proof of insurance and purchased a 3 day temp tag for a few bucks. I was told by them that I could drive it in any state till the 3 days ran out. I was also told that I could drive the bus without a CDL as long as I didn't have over 9 people in it or hauling anything that wasn't part of the bus. I drove the bus back to North Carolina with all the seats in place without any problems. Once I got back to NC, I went to the NC-DMV and purchased a tag for a "Private Bus" for less than $30. Seemed kinda low for a 38,000 pound beast. I asked them about a CDL and again was told that I did not need the CDL unless I carried over 9 people or hauled any type of material that was NOT part of the bus. Meaning I couldn't use it as a church bus,  moving van, to haul supplies, freight, lumber, etc.. Basically the bus is registered as a private bus which means I can't haul anything.  Not sure if I was given the wrong info by the V-DMV and the NC-DMV but it all worked out for me in the end.
1979 MC-9  8V71-Turbo / HT740             * www.MciBusTalk.com *
Locust, North Carolina                           A Site Dedicated To MCI's

Offline BG6

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 01:52:06 PM »
I asked them about a CDL and again was told that I did not need the CDL unless I carried over 9 people or hauled any type of material that was NOT part of the bus.

They told you wrong.

You need a CDL if the GVWR is 26,001 or higher, even if all of the seats are out, until you get it registered as a motor home.

Offline Tom Y

• 80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 03:25:23 PM »
I was told the same as jlink. I even stopped in a weigh station somewhere and was told I did not need to stop.   Tom Y
Tom Yaegle

Offline Highway Yacht

• *****Jimmy*****
  • Locust, North Carolina
    • WWW.MciBusTalk.Com
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 09:17:58 PM »
I asked them about a CDL and again was told that I did not need the CDL unless I carried over 9 people or hauled any type of material that was NOT part of the bus.

They told you wrong.

You need a CDL if the GVWR is 26,001 or higher, even if all of the seats are out, until you get it registered as a motor home.

I was told by 2 different people that work for the DMV and one officer at the Southbound Scales on I-85 at Belmont and they said that "IF" I hauled anything in my "private bus", only then I would need CDL's. Thats why they stressed not to haul anything but myself...no people, no furniture, no lumber, no stored boxes, not even firewood.. You say both DMV people and the officer at the scales told me wrong???. You may be right..but could you lead me and the others that were also told wrong to where you got the right info? I was even told I could leave the seats in.... they didn't care about the seats...they only cared if people were sitting in them.  I've searched and searched and can't find anything in writing concerning the State of North Carolina regarding a non-commercial, empty private owned bus, and CDL's. I've already got mine home anyways but sure there are others that may need to read those laws you have since there is so much bad info floating around with the NCDMV..  Thanks...

Jimmy
1979 MC-9  8V71-Turbo / HT740             * www.MciBusTalk.com *
Locust, North Carolina                           A Site Dedicated To MCI's

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 09:38:56 PM »
The knowledge as to how to get through this bureaucratic ignorance and red tape is valuable and allows those with the knowledge to earn an income.

You won't get anyone sharing the dirty details of your particular jurisdiction with you on here.

Focus your do-it-yourself ambitions on bus maintenance and conversion, find an experienced bus broker and PAY for the knowledge.

Or, keep asking questions at the DMV, draw attention to yourself and this hobby, and screw it up for all that follow.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline Povertyhill

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 04:36:45 AM »
Thanks everyone for the input.

We did talk to one bus broker and he said talk to the DMV. We didn't go back needless to say since he knew we had already.

We are going to take our time and work it out.

Hope we didn't start a whole lot of controversy over it but thought someone might have dealt with it here in Florida in the past.

Offline blue_goose

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 05:42:28 AM »
I am sure that here if Florida that you can find another bus nut that will help you get the bus home.  Just a CDL won't be all you need to meet the law, you also need a P endorsement if you have anyone else in the bus with you.
I don't know about Florida, but when I bought my bus NC didn't ask to see it before they gave me the title as a Motor Home. 
You can always buy the bus, get the title changed to motor home then go after it.  Be sure that you do get insurance before driving anything.
If I can be of any help we live in Polk City Fl and have the proper license to drive the bus.
Jack

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal