Author Topic: Used Michelin: are these decent deal?  (Read 16654 times)

Offline Paladin

• Dave Knight
Used Michelin: are these decent deal?
« on: March 09, 2009, 03:39:43 PM »
I found some used Michelin takeoffs in 12R22.5, about 70% tread, 2007 tires, claims to be in really good condition and the guy says he'd put them up front for steers in a heartbeat. Only problem is that I think he only has 3 otherwise I'd use them in back but I'd just need 2 for front I guess unless I could mix and match that odd one but that's not wise is it??
Price is $225.00 each plus $18.00 mount and $25.00 computer spin. Is this reasonable for used Michelins in this condition?
I haven't gone to see them yet, want to see what the jury thinks first since I haven't a clue.

Yea or nay?

-Dave
'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."

Offline JohnEd

Re: Used Michelin: are these decent deal?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 04:27:07 PM »
I say yes!  You could mix on the tags but you can now afford a new Mich to match the odd one.  Rotate from the fronts to the tags and keep the new one in a position that gets the most wear...front vs tag???

From what I am reading of late, caps are the super deal for the rears.  Sean likes the off road knobbies for getting in and out of DISASTERS and just for the showy looks.  Can't have too much traction. :D ::) :-X

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline boogiethecat

• HeartMagic
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 04:31:49 PM »
Dave,
I got 6 almost new Michelins mounted on rims from a yard that scrapped school busses, $100 each.  Although I have an idea that was one amazing deal...

You can use  2 of the ones you found on the rears but you can't really mix the third with a new one.  Tread depth -more important actual diameter- much match between any two on the same side rear or they'll eat themselves up. (this doesn't apply to tags though) But to use as duals you'd have to find an old one that matches fairly closely.  What part # are they? If they happen to be XZU-2 I have one unmounted one that I'd send ya for the cost of the shipping (probably around $100) if it's tread depth matches one of yours... it's older by a few years but not much tread's been used.

Mine were all off the front of busses and I used em for steers for a long time... until I found out how QUIET XZA-3's were in comparison.  An AMAZING difference, so I got new XZA-3 steers and stuck these XZU's on the rear.
I have this one as an extra 'cause somewhere along the line I hit one of my rears on it's sidewall and it grew a football.  Had to toss it- this one was it's "inside" mate and is now the orphan...

Cheers
Gary
1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca

Offline BG6

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 05:04:36 PM »
If you are in SLC, check with the guy at the corner of the streets which Freightliner dealer and Prime Trucking are on.

For that matter, check with the Freightliner repair shop to see if they have any used tires.

Offline lostagain

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 06:30:23 PM »
I have gotten virgin take-offs from truckers for Cnd$100 each. (US$75). 11R22.5, 1 to 3 years old with 50 to 80% tread on them. Good name brands. That's how much they would get for a casing from the retreaders.

JC
JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740 (sold)
2007 Country Coach Magna, Cummins ISX

Offline HB of CJ

May Be Way Too High And Why
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 07:23:57 PM »
I would say that is way too much money.  Even though it is the "hard to find" size, that could actually be your advantage because who else is he going to sell them too?  White elephant?

Out here in SW Oregon, the logging industry is dying hard.  Lots of good used equipment and stuff including tires going dirt cheap.  The sellers need the money and will entertain any offer.

A while back I turned down $4000 for a set of ten (10) used 11R x 24.5 Michilens (75% tread remaining) mounted on polished Alcoa wheels mounted and spun balanced on the Crown.

Never got to the point where we determined if longer studs would have been required.  Point is with the economy taking a nose dive, it MAY be possible to hold out for that super deal.

Also be careful about any used truck tire and ask why the tires are available.  Sometimes crash damage may be concelled like flat spots or unseen bead damage from impacts and stuff.  HB of CJ

used tire Post

Offline belfert

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 05:50:16 AM »
I have gotten virgin take-offs from truckers for Cnd$100 each. (US$75). 11R22.5, 1 to 3 years old with 50 to 80% tread on them. Good name brands. That's how much they would get for a casing from the retreaders.

Why would anyone replace a tire of that age if it had a minimum of 50% tread remaining?
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline Paladin

• Dave Knight
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 07:24:19 AM »
Yeah, I'm kind of wondering this too. I thought most ran the tires pretty much out before getting rid of them just like a car owner.
I would see it maybe if the vehicle was scrapped but is the vehicle running and in service? Even if the vehicle was scrapped, was there damage that might affect the tires?
That's one of the things that's got me wondering on these tires I found, why so much tread left?

-Dave

Why would anyone replace a tire of that age if it had a minimum of 50% tread remaining?
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 07:47:56 AM »
How much are you guys paying for new tires I ordered 8 new Toyo M111z 315/80 22.5 to pickup in June and with my Toyo fleet price and the $125.00 trade in on each tire I am under $400.00 each with everything after a 6% increase that went into effect Mar 1, except the 8 new 9 in wide rim's (that is a kicker)  good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline TomC

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 08:29:06 AM »
I don't know how anyone could be satisfied with using someone elses take off tires.  Tires are more than just big black round things that hold air to support the bus.  Many are forgetting that tires are the only link to the road and responsible for traction, lateral stability, and most importantly, braking.  Some of you are running open shoulder traction tires on the drives.  While this is an advantage for the very few times you might be in soft dirt, sand or snow, the dry pavement traction is compromised as compared to a highway closed shoulder design.  The only really great traction tire I know of is the Michelin XDN2 (and they know it too because of the price).  It has hundreds of built in sipes that gripe the pavement-whether it be dry, wet or icy.  In my opinion, there is no substitute for quality tires when you and your families safety is on the line going down the road. Please don't get cheap with tires-get cheap in other areas-cheap furniture, plumbing, etc won't get you into an accident.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Airbag

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 08:39:57 AM »
I don't know how anyone could be satisfied with using someone elses take off tires.  Tires are more than just big black round things that hold air to support the bus.  Many are forgetting that tires are the only link to the road and responsible for traction, lateral stability, and most importantly, braking.  Some of you are running open shoulder traction tires on the drives.  While this is an advantage for the very few times you might be in soft dirt, sand or snow, the dry pavement traction is compromised as compared to a highway closed shoulder design.  The only really great traction tire I know of is the Michelin XDN2 (and they know it too because of the price).  It has hundreds of built in sipes that gripe the pavement-whether it be dry, wet or icy.  In my opinion, there is no substitute for quality tires when you and your families safety is on the line going down the road. Please don't get cheap with tires-get cheap in other areas-cheap furniture, plumbing, etc won't get you into an accident.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom I kind of agree with you based on what my experience at the school bus yard has taught me. I drove the same bus for almost two years and it just amazed me how the garage treated tires. They took zero chances with the tires, I brought the bus in for a very slightly low front tire once and they installed six brand new tires not recaps. They won't add air to a front tire if it is low it means it has a leak and two new tires are installed on the front. What a difference in the way the bus handled and I was amazed at how much softer and quiter the ride was.

Now that said I think we all should use the best tire we can afford. Recaps, used, or new tires which ever the case may be.

Offline Merlin-PV

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 08:49:10 AM »
Tom you are right!! but you forgot,to mention, you don't  know the history of the tire: such as curb damage, stone bruise, internal damage from unknown sources like turning the tire backwards.(which causes the wire to pile) not the safest thing. I hope I never meet anyone on the road using them on the steering axle. If you can't afford new tires on at least the front axle you sure can't afford a bus!!!

Offline Paladin

• Dave Knight
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 09:07:25 AM »
If you can't afford new tires on at least the front axle you sure can't afford a bus!!!

Ok, I don't get steamed too often but now I take offense to this. I am so sick and tired of elitist asses telling me what the financial criteria is for owning a bus.
As it turns out, few of us if any actually meet this elitist bar that I see now and then. You run whatever you need to and I'll run what I need to and never our paths shall cross I say and I'll be pleased for that.
My motivating factors and plans are nobody elses concern and it's NOT for others to decree what level each of us should step to in order to own a bus. If you want to buy my tires then you can tell me what I have to buy, if not then kindly keep silent with your opinions and decrees.

8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 09:29:15 AM »
Good answer Paladin I use my bus 10,000 to 20,000 miles a year traveling in and out of the desert that is the only reason I buy new tires every 3 or 4 years. Good luck  and I when I come to Fairview this summer I'll contact you and buy your lunch
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline belfert

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 10:53:19 AM »
The spare tire for my bus is a brand new Firestone, but it is from 1996.  I would replace it right away if I had to use it. 

Someone had bought a brand new shell in 1996 or 1997 and they didn't like the tires so they replaced them when new and I ended up with one of the original tires as a spare. 

Sometimes people replace tires because they don't like them, but I would think they would do it when nearly new, not when they have 50% tread or whatever.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal