Author Topic: Bus shutting down  (Read 10083 times)

Offline Dreamscape

• Dreamscape
  • Global Moderator
  • 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443
Re: Bus shutting down
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 12:52:41 PM »
Nobody on this board is stupid, except myself when I do stupid things! ::) We're all here to learn and ask questions, if you're stupid then the rest of us are too. Guess we're all nuts. HA

~Paul~

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.

Old4103

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 01:04:01 PM »
Good Answer Paul!
I often do stuff that on retrospect seems really stupid.

then I think about it for awhile, or take a nap and come to the realization, that no, it wasn't stupid, merely misinformed! ;D

Offline Kwajdiver

• MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 04:47:34 PM »
Yet, another problem I haven't experienced,,,,,,,, YET  :o

Bill
Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI

Offline gus

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009, 06:14:50 PM »
A person is not necessarily stupid if doing something stupid and then knowing afterward that it was stupid.

I think stupid is if a person doesn't know afterward that he did something stupid!!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2009, 07:27:18 PM »
Well, my guess is based on experience....

http://www.gumpydog.com/bus/MC8_WIP/Run_Stop_Switch/run_stop_switch.htm

BTDT...   ::)
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline platinum mci

• Platinum RV Center
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2009, 05:09:21 PM »
Well the mystery has been solved after working in the rain on Thursday to trace out the problem I read all the advice and started out Friday, by first checking the switches in the back the engine run switch was in the off position, mmm. turned switch on, I bet you all know where this is going by now.  Start the bus from the drivers area. Bus runs amazing, what I did wrong. Goes back to wensday when I changed the oil I started the bus from the rear position to be there if anything went wrong with oil leaks or pressure.  Let it run then shut It down test level then I left for the day.  Went back on Thursday to move the bus problem started left switch in off position from the previous day . Now what is really stupid is I even had the back remote box off testing wires and did not even notice the switch was off!!!     
My Sincere Appreciation to every one that help me through this problem.

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2009, 06:10:01 PM »
Glad to see ya'll got er runnin. And it was a cheap repair!   I bet ya don't do that again.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline gus

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2009, 07:31:11 PM »
Did the same thing myself in an RV park.

Took me three hours to find the problem.

Two minutes after I read the Manual!!

Frustrated but relieved!
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2009, 07:45:16 PM »
I have done the exact same thing with my S60. I was up front cranking and cranking and cranking. I couldn't figure out why that little engine didn't fire up. After a couple of ten second spurts, I went back and I found out that the switch was in the wrong position ;D :D ;D. Problem solved...

God bless,

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2009, 09:05:15 PM »
Well the mystery has been solved after working in the rain on Thursday to trace out the problem I read all the advice and started out Friday, by first checking the switches in the back the engine run switch was in the off position, mmm. turned switch on, I bet you all know where this is going by now.  Start the bus from the drivers area. Bus runs amazing, what I did wrong. Goes back to wensday when I changed the oil I started the bus from the rear position to be there if anything went wrong with oil leaks or pressure.  Let it run then shut It down test level then I left for the day.  Went back on Thursday to move the bus problem started left switch in off position from the previous day . Now what is really stupid is I even had the back remote box off testing wires and did not even notice the switch was off!!!     
My Sincere Appreciation to every one that help me through this problem.

Yep. I knew it.  In fact, I almost wrote the above paragraph in my original response. I knew exactly what you had done when you said you had changed the oil and started it and then rechecked the oil. You turned it off at the remote box and forgot to reset the kill switch.

Every one of us that has that setup has done that. Yes, you'll do it again. It may not take you as long to figure it out next time, but you will do it again.

The real fun starts when one of your sensors acts up. You push the start button and nothing happens. The feeling in the pit of your stomach on that one is worse
than it was when you heard the engine start slowing down and then die on this switch problem.

Are we having fun yet?
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2009, 09:25:12 AM »
Yep,  Glad to here you discovered that,  funny when the buss is just purring along and you go from proud owner to OHSH@$$(&$*&!!!!! ;) :D

Now while your on it, go ahead and locate the the shut down lever so you can do that manually if you have to.  Go ahead and try shutting the engine down by using it so you'll know that one too :)
It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

Offline gus

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2009, 09:28:10 PM »
It is not a real good idea to shut down the engine by using the emergency shut down switch or manual lever.

It is far better to do it with the engine off and the run switch on.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2009, 03:42:09 PM »
It is not a real good idea to shut down the engine by using the emergency shut down switch or manual lever.

It is far better to do it with the engine off and the run switch on.

Yep,

I meant the fuel shut-off lever that the Shut down air solenoid moves to shut. :)

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=9789.0

it is eaier to learn while your still humble ;) :D
It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

Offline gus

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2009, 09:05:40 PM »
MC9,

Sorry about that, you really didn't say emergency shut down, I just assumed that.

After re-reading your post it is easy to see what you meant, I read posts too quickly quite often, bad habit of mine.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal