Author Topic: bed size  (Read 10915 times)

Offline lloyd

bed size
« on: March 27, 2009, 04:41:15 PM »
My wife would like to know what size of bed can fit into the rear of a MCI 5. We are not sure if the bed is going across the bus or forward and back. Of course she would like a queen bed but a good size double might have to do.
Lloyd

cody

Re: bed size
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 04:48:51 PM »
A double bed is 54 inches wide, a queen size is 60, we have a queen size in our iggle,

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 05:16:57 PM »
We have a queen in our MC5a.  There is room for a tiny isle on each side.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline Sean

• Geek.
  • '85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"
    • Our Odyssey
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 05:39:17 PM »
Our bed is "athwartships" (head of bed is on street side).  In order to have enough aisle to pass around the foot of the bed, we got a "short queen," which are available from most mattress stores by special order, and stock at Camping World (but those are crappy mattresses).

A regular queen is 60x80, and a short queen is 60x75, so you get 5" extra in the aisle.  I'm only 5'10" (70"), so this works for us.  If you are over 6' tall or so, this may not be an option for you.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Offline scanzel

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 05:49:41 PM »
My wife and I are going to bunk beds in the back of our conversion,we feel large beds take up too much valuable space plus it will give us more area to move around in.
Steve Canzellarini
Myrtle Beach, SC
1989 Prevost XL

Offline PP

• Will & Wife
    • Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 06:29:40 PM »
Most places refer to the shorter queen as an RV Queen.
His and her bunk beds? Who gets the bottom? LOL
I couldn't resist that, sorry ;D

Offline busnut104

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 06:43:28 PM »
We have two single bed in the rear, a nice space between.

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 08:56:02 PM »
We had two singles in our last bus, but the platform of one was on slides, so they joined together as a queen.  That could depend on who you were traveling with--wife or girlfriend.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline Tenor

• Three Men and a Tenor
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 09:56:01 PM »
Lin- Or BOTH!  ;D

Glenn
Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 07:58:38 AM »
Both of us being "plus sizes", we prefer the queen, with the head to the rear.  One problem with our current rig is that the "night stands" project too far from the rear, making it very difficult to make the bed.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 08:17:57 AM »
Hi Lloyd,

Like Len, I made my night stands too wide and making the bed is a slight problem.

I have a standaed queen, [60"x80"] and it works very well front to back in my 102" wide..

Good Luck
Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 03:01:16 PM »
I have a short queen in my MCI5C, I would not do it again, but that is just my opininon. 
 I read a post where a nut was considerering building a box on rollers for the base of bed. If doing again that is the route I would go, a full size queen on a track mounted base. Some type of quick release and instant large dressing area, also makes bed easy to make!!    HTH   Jim
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Offline chris4905

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 03:16:22 PM »
We have a full size queen in ours.  A little tight in the isles, but worth it once we hit the hay !! 

Chris
Chris & Cheryl Christensen
Ex-Bus Owners
Eagle, Idaho

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 03:56:23 PM »
I think our bed is a standard queen (60" wide X 80" long). The space along either side could be a little wider (a 102 bus would be nicer), but it is tolerable since we spend very little time beside the bed.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 04:28:23 PM »
Guys,

Such really nice looking bedrooms.  Beautiful work!  I look forward to ever seeing them up close.  I expect the rest of the bus is also worth the price of admission.

My druthers is that the bed be "athwartships".  It isn't that I crave that 12 inch isle(or 18) at the foot of the bed.  Really, I would like more room too.  The reason is that I lust after that full width cloths closet across the rear wall.  I can send Wifey back in there to retrieve any duds I might need cause she has real tiny foot'ses.  Really tiny and kinda cute.

I figured that the 6'8" long bed plus the 18" bottom isle was about 96 inches of coach length and on that footprint I had no closet at all.  Say 8 feet or close.  If I put it in sideways I have the same 18" of side clear to the front. 5' of bed and 18" of side clearance at the other side plus 24 inches of closet deep.  Soooo, that makes 10 foot of coach length and I have a full closet for his and hers.  I know I could put the closet in the center isle area but I feel certain that I can find a constructive use for that area.

That is my take on that question and Wifey said I was right, so there. :P ::) ;D

For me to get a 8 foot wide closet across in any other spot in the bus I would have to turn the thing into a duplex. :-\ :-*

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Old4103

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 08:29:58 PM »
John, not to rain on your parade, or wifieys footeses, but.....

the main reason most bunks are put fore and aft is that when you park on a surface that is moderately unlevel, you roll side to side with the force of gravity.
when the bunk is put sideways, (Cattywampus to you fellers from Idaho), either you are sleeping with your head up, or you are sleeping with your head lower than your feet. Neither is a comfortable situation in the long run.

Big trucks have the bunk sideways, and you'll notice that mostly the drivers will always park with the drivers side of the truck on the uphill side. Sleeping with your head downward will have a tendency to let you awake with a headache in the morning.

Your mileage may vary, but it was a lesson I learned after about 3 million miles driving trucks.

Good Luck.

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 09:33:14 PM »
Old,

I wake up with a headache anyway.  That elevation thing would only serve to give me an explanation. ??? ;D

I really hope, more like demand, a leveling system.  I lived with twin beds for years and I MUST have slept somewhere off level and had my head higher than my feet or vice verse.  It just must of happened.  If I tried to hang like a bat for 8 hours I can see where that might be a problem...not for the bat, me.  Really though, it was never an issue but if it was seriously off I felt more comfortable with my feet lower.  Drunks don't always concern themselves with issues of the such.  Puking in the bed is a higher priority....avoiding it, that is.

Hope we are still on track here,

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline jackhartjr

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2009, 10:26:48 PM »
Because the Scenicruiser has that big picture window in the rear we are planning to face our long queen bed to the rear...especially since we camp in a lot a places that back up to the oceans or sounds. The headboard will have a lot of drawers that face the front.  Dianne is AWESOME with working on projects like this!
Jack
Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2009, 04:03:36 AM »
With a little imagination I was able to utilize the space at the foot of the bed on my 5C, I have the short queem but this is doable with a full size queen also. The wall at the foot of my bed is also the sink wall in the bathroom, with access to both sides of the bed. If interested click on the photobucket link below and take a look. The person on the potty side of the bed cannot see the person on said potty without leaning over side of bed.    HTH  JIm
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

cody

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2009, 04:48:28 AM »
Sometimes I wake up with a headache, sometimes with a pain in the neck, sometimes I let her sleep lol.

Offline Hartley

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2009, 08:49:47 AM »
The BEST rest you will ever have is with a Memory-Foam mattress.
Ours is a queen with the head sitting to the rear over the engine shelf.
I opened up the inside rear cap and inserted cabinets inside for clothing.
Granted there's not much walk room, But I hinged the bed base to be lifted
for lots of extra underbed storage.

I also invested in a dual control electric blanket which saves on running the
heat quite a bit. always nice to have a warm bed on cool nights.

Dave...
Never take a knife to a gunfight!

Offline BG6

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2009, 10:05:38 AM »
We had two singles in our last bus, but the platform of one was on slides, so they joined together as a queen.  That could depend on who you were traveling with--wife or girlfriend.

Reminds me of the old toast: "To our wives and our girlfriends . . .and may they NEVER MEET!"

Offline BG6

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2009, 10:08:01 AM »

I find them too "cocoon-like," and too hot on a hot night.

I'm going for a Sleep Number queen-size.

Offline BG6

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2009, 10:21:17 AM »
My wife would like to know what size of bed can fit into the rear of a MCI 5. We are not sure if the bed is going across the bus or forward and back. Of course she would like a queen bed but a good size double might have to do.

On the new coach I'm going with a queen-size, along the left wall, feet forward.

If you plan to let someone sleep in the bed while the coach is on the road, the only safe way is feet forward.  Think about having to hit the brakes HARD at 75 MPH.  A sideways sleeper becomes a suborbital ballistic missile, and a head-forward sleeper slams into the wall or the floor, taking the impact on the head and cervical spine.

The advantage of putting the bed against the side wall is that it gives a secure corner to fit into while the coach is moving.  Since I'm doing a large bath with corridor along the right side, this orientation of the bed puts the foot against the bath rear wall, gives more room to maneuver in the bedroom (for dressing, etc) and offers space for a standard dresser or closet on the back wall.  My bed will be hinged along the side wall, so it can be lifted up for access to storage.

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2009, 11:54:38 AM »
The problem with the bed against the wall, if it's any larger than a twin, is that it's very hard to make.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline BG6

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2009, 12:46:42 PM »
The problem with the bed against the wall, if it's any larger than a twin, is that it's very hard to make.

I dunno about "very" hard, but it is certainly hardER to make.

This is another advantage to the Sleep Number, which is lightweight and can be slid away from the wall.

OTOH, I'm a GUY -- I make a bed by getting out of it and pulling the bedspread up again, or just closing the door so nobody goes back there. 

;) 

If I ever find my asawa, then she may have other ideas . . .

Offline Hartley

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2009, 05:54:55 PM »

I find them too "cocoon-like," and too hot on a hot night.

I'm going for a Sleep Number queen-size.

Be careful of high altitudes with that "air mattress"....
I haven't had a cocoon problem with mine. But I also spent over $900 for a mattress just for the bus. Mine is quite comfortable hot or cold. It also depends on the mattress cover being the kind that breathes.

Yipes.. Something is wrong with the board software the edit box is jumping all over the place while I type.... Grrrrrrrrr
Never take a knife to a gunfight!

Offline PP

• Will & Wife
    • Bookworm
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2009, 07:08:27 PM »
I used to have my own space too, but not any longer. We modified our twins into a queen (short). When I put the new framing together I included an 8" deep by 5" wide trough along the wall side for the excess bedding to fall into. This makes it a lot easier to make the bed. There is space between the bed and night stand also for the bedding to slide past. I haven't finished the floor yet because we're still undecided if we're going with carpet again or wood this time. Will

Offline pickpaul

• New Bus Not
  • New Bus Not
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2009, 11:22:17 PM »
How about a murphy bed for extra floor space during the day? Would folding the bed into the wall work with a raised roof?

Offline Oregonconversion

• Somethingforever.com
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2009, 12:12:01 AM »
I would REALLY like a folding bed in the back of my MC8!

I have thought about putting the bed on a lift. When you are done sleeping, connect 4 lines and press a button. Your bed is now on the ceiling!

How about a murphy bed for extra floor space during the day? Would folding the bed into the wall work with a raised roof?
1977 MC8
8V92 HT740

Offline basil

• 93 Eagle 15-45, 89 Bluebird All American FE
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2009, 05:54:11 AM »
I checked out a few of the bed lift mechanisms at an RV show.  The Happijac chain driven one seemed to be the nicest.  If you have the roof height it really hides the bed away up top.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal