Author Topic: Goodby camping world??  (Read 27661 times)

Offline Utahclaimjumper

Re: Goodby camping world??
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2009, 02:24:07 PM »
Jack, its not so much that the shipping is high, its that your money is WORTHLESS!!>>>Dan
Utclmjmpr  (rufcmpn)
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2009, 02:34:52 PM »
Apologises if this is going further off-topic...

The subject of shipping costs is something I am very sensitive to in my business, especially as for me the shipping costs can be higher than the goods value to some destinations. I have always used a strict weight-only basis for shipping simply out of 'fairness to the customer' - unfortunately it is an undeniable fact that over-charging for shipping is a fundamental part of many online retailer's business models. For instance,  I have analysed the Amazon Marketplace system and found that the profit made from the shipping charge is the only profit Amazon make on the transaction (there's no percentage commission on selling price or whatever). What's more it is also the only profit many of the sellers make as well (ie. all those sellers selling second-hand books at 1p each). The postage 'profit' is in reality simply a fixed commission charge on each sale, split in a pre-arranged ratio between Amazon and the seller. Is this fair? You could easily argue it is fairer than 1p sellers on eBay who can charge even more for postage - at least Amazon's postage rates are fixed at a reasonable-ish level.

Jeremy

PS. I am currently collecting quotes for my own Marketplace system for my business (allowing people to list their magazines for sale on our sites). If there are any PHP programmers reading this who want a copy of the tender inviatation documents let me know (seriously)
A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2009, 03:17:35 PM »
Some interesting comments here. I especially liked the comments about the profits and to cost to buy the stuff.

Here's something more interesting about this whole thread. I had a couple people tell me they were interested in getting the LP sensor/solenoid system I mentioned, so I went back over there today and purchased the two they had on the shelf. I noticed that a lot of the clearance stuff had stickers indicating other stores. I figure CW bought out the stock of some of their competitors after they failed. Fair enough. So most of the stuff in clearance was not packaged as the CW stuff is, or they don't stock that particular part (these LP units, for example).

Now I purchased the exact same setup for my bus about 5 years ago. The same CCI LP detector, and the solenoid. However, I didn't get them in a kit, but separately, so didn't get the little nipple and fused wiring that came in the kit. I had a friend order them from Coast because he had a business account, so I got them for wholesale. I paid right at $80 for the two items that are in this kit. After buying the two units, I peeled back the stickers and saw one from a Holiday RV or some such place. The price tag said $150. 

My two bus friends got a really good deal on these parts.

Note that CW doesn't carry the solenoid or CCI unit that operates the solenoid. They have some LP detectors that start at $60.

Is it any wonder these places are going out of business with price markups like that? 

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2009, 04:01:02 PM »
100% markup is also known as 50% gross profit margin and is very common in retail.  If you shop the non food part of a supermarket, you are paying that or higher.  Even many departments at Wally World have that profit level.

Direct store delivery products are the real profit center for retailers (especially supermarkets, supercenters and convenience stores).  The manufacturer/distributor handles all the expense of getting the product on the shelf, then bills the retailer on a 30 day net payable that usually get's paid the last day or even get's stretched to 45 days.  Then they are credited back for any damaged or expired products and credits are generally taken instantly.  On food DSD departments the inventory usually turns in well under 30 days, so the retailer isn't actually carrying the inventory expense.

Anytime a sale or ad is run on the product, it is the result of the supplier giving a discount.  And the retailer reduces the retail slightly less than the wholesale was reduced so as to preserve their percent margin (for example, the retailer gets 25 cents off on something, they will run the sale at 15-20 cents off.  If there is an in store demo, the supplier paid for the labor, the samples and an extra "administrative fee" to the retailer (ranges $75-$250 per store per event).

So on DSD products the store has no direct investment in them, no inventory expense, no labor expense, no promotional expense and no spoil/damage loss.  Yet they still demand a 35%-50% gross margin (roughly 50% to 100% markup).  By far, the largest slice of the profit pie.

Offline Mrbill4108

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2009, 04:23:15 PM »
For those who would like info on Bob's Used RV Parts
Number is 386-454-5733
23486S US Hwy 441
High Springs Fl  32643

Mrbill
79 GMC 4108A
S/N 228
Florida Space Coast

Offline oldmansax

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2009, 05:35:09 PM »
Dallas,

As the lead guy in the "shoot-everybody-that-posts-anything-off-topic-here-gang", I don't think this is off topic.

Anything that educates us on busing for less money is good..... except for the Prevost guys who already have plenty of money  :D

TOM
1995 Wanderlodge WB40 current
1985 Wanderlodge PT36
1990 Holiday Rambler
1982 Wanderlodge PT40
1972 MCI MC7

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2009, 07:18:21 PM »
Jeremy,

I know that sometimes shipping just does cost more that the part.  However, I have had a couple of experiences with ordering a cheap $8 electical part, being charged $13 for shipping, and having it arrive in an envelope with a simple first class stamp on it.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline jackhartjr

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2009, 07:41:22 PM »
Lin, that's what I am talking about!
Jack
Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)

Offline Jriddle

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2009, 08:40:20 PM »
Not OT for me thanks Craig

John
John Riddle
Townsend MT
1984 MC9

cody

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2009, 05:53:16 AM »
I can't think of anyone that I would rather buy a bus related part from than another bus nut, especially one that seems to know which end of the wrench goes onto the bolt.  Years ago when you went into the mom and pop hardware store and asked for a part or a tool you not only got the tool but you also got information that was based on personal experience or real knowledge.  While there is nothing I enjoy more than going into wally world and asking a technical question in electronics and watching them adlib or stammer, at times we all need real information, at least I do lol.  This goes directly along with the idea of busnuts helping busnuts, if an electical guru rolls up his sleeves and tackles joes wiring problem and the mechancial wizard crawls into the engine compartment of bills bus and the sawdust guy redoes the kitchen drawer that is coming apart for mary, then the whole bus community benefits.

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2009, 06:00:04 AM »
Cody,

The problem is that some of those folks at Wally or HD can adlib very convincingly.  No telling what manner of havoc they might cause.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Dallas

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2009, 06:15:40 AM »
Kind of like when the new tech at the electric company I worked for called me at 03:00 with the complaint that his computer wouldn't come on.
After the usual questions, (I assumed he knew how to plug one in), I started asking the basic questions... What's it plugged in to? The surge suppressor What's the surge suppressor plugged in to? The UPS What's the UPS plugged in to? The SURGE SUPPRESSOR! Hmmm, does this lead you to believe that you need to change a plug somewhere? What do you mean? Ahhh, Geeez! I hung up.

Cody,

The problem is that some of those folks at Wally or HD can adlib very convincingly.  No telling what manner of havoc they might cause.

Offline jackhartjr

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2009, 06:19:20 AM »
Dallas...I just noticed the little tag line that says, "Real motors rattle!"
Way kool.
If this is OT...oh well! ;D
Jack
Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)

Offline bigjohnkub

• pd4903-188 and now pd4107
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2009, 06:35:45 AM »
Dallas, I thought about your idea some last evening. Jack Daniels and Big John Daniels think you ought to try it. When we purchase from you, we would also get the correct advice and directions on installation. Much as we do from Nick and Luke. Are you going to get rich? Probably not money wise, but in our stage of life who cares. It would be fulfilling to pass along the knowledge you have to the newer generation. It also would take up some of your"spare" time. Is it worth trying, Why not?
   Jack and Big john
Big John  Tyler Tx PD 4903-188 & 4107
871 dd, 4 spd Fuller.
LOVE MY BUS!!!!

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2009, 06:52:43 AM »
Years back we had a supplier for us bus people it was named ABCO and you bought a membership any one know what happen to it.I bought a few things from the outfit then it disappeared it was a shame they had good prices on conversion parts they were usually 1/2 of what the RV dealer charged. starting to show my age now guys lol
Life is short drink the good wine first

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal