Author Topic: warning  (Read 8255 times)

Offline busshawg

warning
« on: April 16, 2009, 07:00:22 AM »
Just thought I'd take a minute to once again warn everyone of the cosquences of getting in a hurry! Last night I was working under my bus welding some plating in on the sides of the beam that holds the air bags in place. I was cutting the metal to fit in the shop and once it was a good fit I simply cleaned up the edges with a grinder. Well on the second last piece I was getting in a hurry as day light hours are limited when one works full time. I had been holding the previous pieces with a vise grip while grinding but this piece I simple just held with my hand. Well yep you guessed it, the ginder got away on me taking a chunk of finger and then proceeding onto my leg. Not a biggy but after the pain started to calm I sure did get mad at myself. We all know better including myself, but just thought I'd remind everyone that things can change very quickly!! Be careful guys !

Grant
Have Fun!!
Grant

cody

Re: warning
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 07:13:10 AM »
Sure glad your ok, your right it can happen very quickly, I work with saws, shapers, and other things that are sharp and in motion and am so thankful that I've never had a major accident, too many minor ones to count but nothing major.  An old friend once told me that true cabinetmakers can't count to ten so I've never called myself anything other than a sawdust piler.  It pays to take the extra time to make sure it's safe to do what needs to be done, I see a friend of mine air his bus up and crawl under it all the time with no blocking or support for that quick adjustment that will only take a moment and I cringe, he doesn't listen any better than I do tho lol.

Offline poppi

• mci 8 L10 ZF tranmission; helena
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 07:40:49 AM »
 my mechanics instructor had part of a finger missing from carpentry work.
 Then
 He went to build his own house and lost part of a finger the following summer he went
 to frame in the basement and lost part of another finger. Got to the point he couldn't
 hold a hammer anymore. This is a guy that used to harp(scream) at us about safety.

If one isn't safe eventually you'll get a first hand (or maybe finger) lesson.

Sorry to hear about your oops

Skip
Snow disappeared......Now where did I put that bus?

Offline larryc

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 07:47:29 AM »
I've gotten into woodworking the last couple of years and when I showed my wife the SawStop video she insisted that I get it. This is the table saw that won't cut you. If you're not familiar with it you can see more at sawstop.com and on youtube by searching for sawstop.
It's expensive but then so are fingers and hands.
LarryC

Bus Maintenance, Parts and Operators Manuals
Coach Information Network  www.coachinfo.com

Videos and Photos from the dean of
bus photographers, Bob Redden
Redden Archives   www.reddenarchives.com

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 07:55:25 AM »
The router is my most feared tool at 20,000 rpm I never have a problem with one till I mount it a table.
In 1978 I was showing my wife's son-in-law how to be safe and cut the end of 3 fingers off.
Do be careful on my tablesaw I always have the blade high to be able to see the blade.     

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Singing Land Cruiser

• Michael & Christi Hargis
  • Found another Bus= '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71
    • michaelhargis.com
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 08:11:20 AM »
I hope you are OK. We know how you can get complacent with a project at the end of the day. Those scenarios happen all to often and we get away with them 99% of the time. Then we pay the piper and our hurry up schedule goes right in the pooper due to injury. Then remorse hits, then depression, then panic because nothing is getting done. As a Hospital Corpsman in the USN, I've seen it a hunderd times and I've done it a time or two myself. Our mothers did their best to pass lifes wisdon into our pea brains, a stich in time saves 9, anything worth doing is worth doing right... We all have that little voice in our head that saids "stop, wait, warning, and slow down. I have found that it hurts less if you listen. Be Safe out there. All the Best, M&C
Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
RV Park MGRS/ Sans End RV Park
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
'77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71

Offline grantgoold

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 08:14:19 AM »
If it is not too late and you are still bleeding, check out my articles in last months, BCM!  ;D

Glad you are o.k.

Thanks for the reminder!

Grant
Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 08:18:53 AM »
Glad you were not hurt too bad.  All it takes is an instant of getting in a hurry or a split second lapse of concentration. My policy is that no one talks to me while I am using power tools. All it takes is that slpit second that you are thinking about what someone is telling you to loose a body part.  jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 09:46:03 AM »
And defend against fatigue!

At this point, rules around here: no chainsawing after lunch.

And perhaps, more kinds of power tools to be included in the afternoon ban.

Ask at the hospital, the injuries come in later in the day, as mind and body have been consumed.

Thanks for the reminder, and glad you were able to share!!!!!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

cody

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 09:54:02 AM »
BW, are you implying that we should start to work before noon?

Offline busshawg

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 10:28:55 AM »
I'm screwed if we have to work in the morning, I do 99 % of my work after diner, haha. However point well taken BW
Have Fun!!
Grant

Offline BUR

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 11:01:02 AM »
When I finished the major part of my conversion, Band-Aid stock went down 20%. LOL    BUR
1980 Prevost   8V92 HT754CR
Homebase   Yuma AZ

Offline larryc

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 12:50:05 PM »
Just came across this article about how the baseball pitcher Mark Fidrych died while working on his truck engine.
LarryC

Bus Maintenance, Parts and Operators Manuals
Coach Information Network  www.coachinfo.com

Videos and Photos from the dean of
bus photographers, Bob Redden
Redden Archives   www.reddenarchives.com

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 01:22:52 PM »
BW,

Never heard that and it makes so much sense.  Thank you for that.

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 01:31:38 PM »
I try to be very safety minded! I ALWAYS clamp items to the drill press table, well ever since the trip to the emergency room  ;D   I really should have sued the guy that let me use the drill press.

JIm
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal