Author Topic: A few questions....  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Texasjack

A few questions....
« on: April 27, 2009, 08:26:54 AM »
If anyone has answers I would be greatful ! A source to purchase those adjustable shocks for Eagle model 10?  How many foot pounds of torque do I need on a air gun to remove the lugs on my eagle?. Gettin tired of borrowing the tool and want my own. Whats the current used price on 24.5 alcoa rims?  thank you my friends!!!!!!

Offline PP

• Will & Wife
    • Bookworm
Re: A few questions....
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 08:38:10 AM »
Hey TexasJack,
If you're looking just for a tool to remove lugnuts you might want to check out the torque multipliers. I have a 12:1 and it only takes about 50 lbs of torque to remove the lugs and about the same to replace them. You can do tire changes with a 1/2" drive torque wrench and not work up a sweat. FWIW
Good Luck, Will
BTW-most lugs torque at 480 to 600 depending on rims and other considerations.

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 12:27:34 PM »
I like PP's idea.  Break it loose with a multiplier and then spin it off with a STOUT 1/2 inch drive.  The air wrench you want is a ONE inch drive from Harbor Freight.  Costs less than $200....watch for sales.  The 1/2 inch drive you want is called Earth Quake and it is stout and something like 60 dollars on sale.  Look at their on line catalog and get on their mailing list.  Find the one nearest you as they have more sales off line.

HTH,

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 12:33:59 PM »
I have a half inch IR thundergun. I really like that little gun! I don't have to worry about over tightening my lugs, since it has more reverse torque than forward torque. We don't let a one inch gun touch our studs (except for one shop, and we had them use torque sticks, with less torque, and then torque the lugs by hand). The tendency with the one inch guns is to ram the nuts on too hard, and eventually break your studs (don't ask me how I know).

Remember, you pay for what you get. Often Harbor Freight tools will do the job, but they usually are lower end tools. Like I said, often those tools will save you a heap, and do the job (I have a lot of HF tools), but for the really critical tools, don't get HF tools, unless you are positive of the quality. 

God bless,

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline luvrbus

• Gold Donor
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 10:43:53 AM »
 Eric,AutoZone sells the adjustable shocks for the rear and boogie the Gabrel part number is 89425.Do not use the adjustable shock on the front it uses a double action shock Gabrel number 85314   good luck
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 12:13:38 PM by luvrbus »
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline zubzub

• '53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.
    • pics of my bus etc....
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 01:27:15 PM »
I have the 1" from HF and I don't really like it.  For starters you can get a 3/4" with the same torque for around $200 at HF and use it all over the place.  The 1" is huge and uses tons of air.  You need a punk tank and a big compressor (or lots of patience).  Pretty sure I'm going to get a torque multiplyer, seems the way to go.