Author Topic: Where to find really long heater hose?  (Read 6780 times)

Offline belfert

Where to find really long heater hose?
« on: April 23, 2009, 05:32:05 PM »
I have about a 6 or 8 foot long chunk of what looks like 1.5" or 2" heater hose going from one side of my engine to the other in a big loop.  It has a small pinhole leak in the middle of the hose where nothing could chafe it.

Any ideas where to get hose that long?  Everybody carries 3 foot sticks.  I can't even locate this hose in my parts manual to see if MCI sells it.  I'll have to call MCI in the morning.  My friend suggested a pipe to replace the bad section, but I worry another spot will start to leak if I don't replace the whole thing.

I still can't figure out why Dina saw fit to use the spot normally fitted with a block heater to run coolant out to the passenger heating system.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
Re: Where to find really long heater hose?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 05:35:59 PM »
Replace it with copper.

Or cut the leak out and put a piece of copper pipe in it.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline Marcus

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 05:51:21 PM »
If you have a marine surplus close by they should have it. Ours does in Sarasota fl. Marc

Offline BG6

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 05:58:42 PM »
I have about a 6 or 8 foot long chunk of what looks like 1.5" or 2" heater hose going from one side of my engine to the other in a big loop.  It has a small pinhole leak in the middle of the hose where nothing could chafe it.

Any ideas where to get hose that long? 

Try NAPA or some other "real" auto parts shop.

Offline belfert

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 06:22:52 PM »

I tried two NAPA stores that sell parts for heavy trucks already.  This type of hose seems to only be sold in three foot chunks.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline BG6

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 06:30:03 PM »

I tried two NAPA stores that sell parts for heavy trucks already.  This type of hose seems to only be sold in three foot chunks.

Maybe you can find out which company makes it, and find a distributor who handles the longer sections.

Airbag

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 06:35:30 PM »
McMaster Carr or Grainger or JC Whitney "just shots in the dark"

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 06:50:41 PM »
An industrial hose company should have something that would work.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline belfert

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 07:00:48 PM »
I never would have thought of McMaster-Carr.  They do have hose in long lengths.

This should work I assume: http://www.mcmaster.com/#coolant-hose/=1ksbuj  Is the 212F going to be an issue?  The engine shouldn't be getting that hot anyhow.

Lin, I tried an industrial hose company last time I needed a 40" hose and I ended up with hose used for milking parlors.  It is rated for antifreeze and the proper temps so I bought it.  It is still going strong after two years.  I'll probably try the industrial hose place again before I order from McMaster-Carr.

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 07:50:12 PM »
Any parts store is only as good as the employees that work there. I have yet to find a decent employee at any of the napa stores around here. Even when I provided the correct napa part number for a lower radiator hose (after they couldn't find it), they wanted to charge me the unit price per foot . . . . yep, 10x the actual cost. (For a minute there I thought I was dealing with a talking bird  :o )

Industrial supply houses are where I find the best service. . . .

I'd think the 212F rated hose wouldn't be enough to provide lasting durability.
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 08:51:33 PM »
I agree with Kyle.  212 isn't enuff.  I think the worse problem is that auto and truck stuff is grease, oil and fuel resistant.   I am not saying dairy hose doesn't meet that environment criteria.....but I think that needs to be verified.

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 09:29:35 PM »
Use a short piece of metal pipe to tie two pieces of rubber pipe together to make your length?

I would look hard at the suggestion to make up a copper pipe to cover most of the distance and a couple of short pieces of straight stock rubber to attach the ends.

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline belfert

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 04:33:58 AM »
I agree with Kyle.  212 isn't enuff.  I think the worse problem is that auto and truck stuff is grease, oil and fuel resistant.   I am not saying dairy hose doesn't meet that environment criteria.....but I think that needs to be verified.

The dairy hose is a seperate issue.  It was used to replace a smaller diameter hose that is around 39" long.  I didn't buy it before the saleman verified it was resistant to antifreeze and would meet the temp specs.  I don't know that diary hose would work a larger diameter anyhow.

Goodyear makes heater hose for trucks in long lengths, but the sizes are limited.  I need to figure out the exact size I need.

Offline belfert

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 04:36:00 AM »
Typical heater/radiator hose has a 260 degree or more rating so the McMaster-Carr stuff won't work.  I am going to look at the costs of doing copper instead of hose.

Offline dbenck

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 04:54:12 AM »
Try Pirtek on the corner of University Ave. & Vandalia, St. Paul

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal