Author Topic: Installing a Diesel Genset  (Read 2745 times)

Offline Gary Hatt - Publisher BCM

• Publisher - BCM
  • Administrator
    • Bus Conversion Magazine
Installing a Diesel Genset
« on: April 29, 2009, 09:59:57 AM »
I am installing a used Diesel Onan Genset in one of my baggage compartments and I have a three questions.

1. What type of fuel line do I need to purchase?  Someone told me I need to use expensive Fuel Injection fuel line at $10/ft or will regular Diesel fuel line work?

2. Where should I run the fuel lines from the Genset to the Coach Fuel Tank?  If I run the line thru the compartments, it will be protected but if it leaks it could be a fire hazard or at least make a real mess.  If I run it under the coach and debris hits it, it could siphon all of the fuel from my tank, at least down to where the fuel line pickup ends (perhaps ¼ of a tank) before I even notice it.

3. How do you tap into the Coach Fuel Tank with the input and return lines?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary
1967 Eagle with Series 60 Power Plant
Gary@BusConversionMagazine.com

Offline JohnEd

Re: Installing a Diesel Genset
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 10:24:33 AM »
Bio D will attack copper and really screw the Pooch if it is allowed to sit in the line....as you would expect in a gen system.  Why would you require "high pressure line" in a low pressure environment?

Put a high loop in the line when you get it to the gen compartment.  That will prevent a gravity drain if you develop a leak in the gen connection or further down the line.

I would have an electric solenoid valve at the tank for the gen line or any other line that was strung outside the coach.  Rethink this and run the line internal to the coach.  Or did I missunderstand you?

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 10:33:39 AM »
DOT Nylon brake tubing works well for fuel line.  Run it through electrical conduit (EMT) and it should be trouble free for many years.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline DaveG

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 07:40:46 PM »
10-4 on what Len said. Just don't have the nylon air brake tubing chafe on the edge of something (anymore than usual, anyway.) Use brass compression fittings. Buy the tubing in 100ft rolls, cheaper that way and you'll use it other places. Maybe buy two different colors, on for suction/draw and a different color for return. Blue and red are popular brake line colors, along with black and yellow.

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 09:00:10 PM »
I used copper and standard rubber fuel line.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline TomC

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 10:03:31 PM »
I used nylon fuel line, and the electric pump on the generator pulls the fuel just fine.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline belfert

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 10:44:31 PM »
I used standard rubber fuel line for my generator.  The fuel tank already had fittings for supply and return for a Webasto heater that was standard on the bus.  The Webasto was removed by a previous owner so I used those fittings as they happened to be the exact right size for the generator.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 10:56:46 PM »
Regular rubber and copper are great if you will never run BioD.  EVER!  On the BioD board this is discussed to death.  Bio will eat the conventional rubber fuel line.  The material that stands up to Bio is called VITON(?).  NAPA knows.  It is more expensive than regular stuff but not $10 per foot for fuel line.  Airline from nylon should be wizard.  Brass and galvanized are also off the list for long term exposure to Bio.  BioD mix is required by law in Europe and if we are making "gasohol" required can D be far behind?

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline gus

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 02:56:15 PM »
If you have a high fuel loop with a suction pump on the genset you can end up with an air lock in the line.

Happened to me, my genset wouldn't start after sitting for a long time. It doesn't run well on air!

Once I lowered the line no more starting problems.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline belfert

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 04:00:13 PM »
Minnesota just went to 5% biodiesel blend required by law on May 1st.  We will go to 20% blend by 2015.

At some point I might need to consider replacing my fuel lines I guess.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal