Author Topic: I looked over the Membership Roster today and.....  (Read 27658 times)

Ncbob

I looked over the Membership Roster today and.....
« on: July 04, 2006, 11:09:35 AM »
I took the time to look over the Membership Roster today (because being a Holiday I had the time) and something jumped out at me!

We take a great deal of pride in the fact that a lot of folks have taken the time to become Members but they don't post! :-\

Do they have the mistaken impression that this Board is being monopolized by the 50-75 of us who post regularly, chide each other and do they think that they've stepped into a private club of BusNuts where their questions and opinions are not appreciated?

I pretty much know the regulars and the Moderators and, MAK, hasn't set up this wonderful vehicle for the use of a few and to the exclusion of others.
 :(
I'm not anyone special on this Board.  I'm just a Newbie like many of you.  But the best way to make this Board work is for those of you who don't feel you have a large voice or profile is to C'MON in!  The waters' fine.  No one here BITES! ;D

I just have a bigger mouth than the average bear and I love people...all people...especially BusNuts!

Please accept this personal invitation from just another BusNut to get involved more with the Board and the Chat Room.  I'm in the C/R probably more than most and will welcome you...whoever you are.  C'mon in and let's talk buses or whatever you wish to discuss.

cordially,

Bob

Offline brojcol

• Jimmy
Re: I looked over the Membership Roster today and.....
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 01:03:01 PM »
I have only had one other experience with a chat board (it was also about buses).  It was hosted by Yahoo and not to bore with details, it was not a great experience.  Maybe some are afraid to express their opinions or whatever because they are afraid of looking foolish because it is intimidating whenever you have some on this board who are literal encyclopedia's of bus knowledge.  They know the exact ohms or amps or whatever is given off by each headlight.  They can tell you exactly how much air pressure your tire exerts whenever it runs over a dog turd in the road.  They can calculate the amount of water each windshield wiper displaces at each swipe, based on the trajectory of the wind at 65 mph.

Sometimes its a little intimidating.

Let me be the first to say that I don't know much about buses at all.  Except, I LOVE THEM!!!  Heck, I thought a Newell Coach was a bus until today. 

So, come on, don't be shy.  I promise you will not be the dumbest person on the board.  That position is already filled, thank you.  I just wish I could become a "superhero" poster, but I don't know enough to chime in on 99% of the posts. 

Jimmy
"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate

Ncbob

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 01:12:54 PM »
Y'know Brojcol, you're not the only one who feels 'overwhelmed' by the experience and knowledge on this Board.  Probably what will always keep me a "newbie" is the vast amount of experience stored in the brains cells of those who have been the pathfinders in our hobby.  ;)

Just about the time I think I have a cogent thought and opinion I find that even if I offer it...it's not rejected...it's usually complimented by the more learned among us.  No one has EVER taken me to task for offering my opinion...right or wrong.

Everyone on this Board is congenial, acceptive of everyone and is heartfelt bent in assisting each and every one of us with a problem.

And, NO, I'm not on MAKs' payroll!  I've only chatted with him once and was impressed with his knowledge and patience.

Thank you for your response.  Let's just hope that more offer their opinions...that's what we're her for.

Bob

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 05:17:05 PM »
I don't know enough to chime in on 99% of the posts.

Jimmy

Neither do I, But I try not to let that stop me. If I sound stupid, maybe others won't expect too much.  :)

Enough opinions help ferret out the best solution.

kyle4501
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Moof

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 06:31:20 PM »
Bob,

I really enjoy reading this board.  Since I have never built a bus I like leaving the talking to those who know what is going on.  My Grandad always told me it is better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.

It is the attitude that you expressed in this post that make this a friendly board to be a part of.   

So, until later, I'll sit in the back of the bus and watch.

Offline Melbo

• MC8 under construction
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 06:48:22 PM »
I barely find time to read all the stuff on this board and do my regular work no time to respond to posts unless I have an unusual addition or have some time on my hands but that rarely happens so I will continue to read -- visit the bus garage when I have time -- and post if I think it wil help someone or I have a problem I think someone can help me with.

Not really lurking just useing what I can and helping if I can.

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF

Offline Stan

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 05:51:36 AM »
I don't post very often but I try to help when I can. If a thread  is marked OT, I don't bother reading it (this is a bus board). If the topic is something I have a lot of knowledge on, I read the question and form an answer in my mind. I then read the responses to see if the question has been answered correctly. If there are a lot of posts that have gone off topic or are just bs, I don't waste any more time and go on to the next thread.

BTW: I read this thread because the topic got my attention. I wondered why anyone would have the time or interest to read a membership roster.

Offline fiddlearound

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 06:09:56 AM »
As one who was kicked off the Yahoo MCI board for a simple question, I also am reluctant to post on other boards unless I have a specific question about my bus!
Alton

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 06:16:46 AM »
I feel I can assure you that you will not get kicked off this board, even with an off topic question as long as it is not phorno or very foul language. Even then, with five moderators, one of whom is probably on the board the majority of the time, the post would just get deleted and you would get a warning notice before you were actually kicked off.
Post away. We want to hear from you!
Richard

As one who was kicked off the Yahoo MCI board for a simple question, I also am reluctant to post on other boards unless I have a specific question about my bus!
Alton
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Ncbob

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 06:30:06 AM »
I want to assure Stan that my original intent in looking at the Membership roster was only in curiosity to see if there were more BusNuts in my area than I'm aware of.  Then it became quite apparent that so many of our members weren't posting so why not invite them to get more involved? :)

I am probably one of the more guilty ones for posting "Off Topic" and will accept any criticism for my actions...however some of us DO have a sense of humor and it seems to be appreciated from time to time when we attempt to add a bit of levity in the direction of some of those members who appreciate it. ;)

Bob

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 06:39:28 AM »
And we really need a little levity from time to time to try and keep us sane. ::)

I want to assure Stan that my original intent in looking at the Membership roster was only in curiosity to see if there were more BusNuts in my area than I'm aware of.  Then it became quite apparent that so many of our members weren't posting so why not invite them to get more involved? :)

I am probably one of the more guilty ones for posting "Off Topic" and will accept any criticism for my actions...however some of us DO have a sense of humor and it seems to be appreciated from time to time when we attempt to add a bit of levity in the direction of some of those members who appreciate it. ;)

Bob

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Dallas

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 07:49:53 AM »
Richard,
Aren't the two terms, Sane and Bus Conversion mutually exclusive?

Dallas

And we really need a little levity from time to time to try and keep us sane. ::)

Bob

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2006, 07:54:23 AM »
Is that like JUMBO shrimp or Mlitary Intelligence? 
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2006, 08:03:10 AM »
Probably. And I can guarantee that it is an incurable disease.  ;D
Richard

Richard,
Aren't the two terms, Sane and Bus Conversion mutually exclusive?

Dallas

Bob

Moof

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 08:26:50 AM »
Now that we are way off track I have a question.  As was mentioned earlier Jumbo Shrimp and Military Intelligence are mutually exclusive and are called Oxy-Morons.  Does anyone know the word that describes the opposite?  For example: Overly Redundant.  Overly redundant probably would be a good definition for this word.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal