Author Topic: What Grill Do You Like and Why?  (Read 5688 times)

Offline Dreamscape

• Dreamscape
  • Global Moderator
  • 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443
What Grill Do You Like and Why?
« on: May 09, 2009, 06:46:28 AM »
I'm thinking of installing a slide out grill hooked up to our propane system. What grill is best for this purpose and why?

Be nice, I've been doing some research but wanted the opinions of the experts! ;D

~Paul~

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.

Offline prevost82

• 82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed
  • 82 Prevost Marathon XL
Re: What Grill Do You Like and Why?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 08:25:37 AM »
I have a slideout barb'que in my 2nd bay. I made it frome 2 bq's I found at the dump, then built a slideout frame.
Can't help you on a grill ...

Offline johns4104s

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 03:55:14 PM »
How did you build your slide out frame, I need to build a few for my bays.

Thanks

John

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 11:14:58 AM »
yep, and we need picks.

I first i was thinking slide out but I've been leaning toward a collapsing frame with wheels so I could roll it outside the awning.  I tend to like a little burn on the weenies :D

Of course the Smokey Joe is the favorite when using the bus and stays there :).

And why is this off topic?

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

Offline Dreamscape

• Dreamscape
  • Global Moderator
  • 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 03:34:33 PM »
I put it there because I figured it would get here eventually anyway.

The slide would be easy to fab, just need some heavy duty sliders, a frame and wahlah!

John, the slides you are talking about would not be that difficult either. Get some cam followers from McMaster-Carr and some tubular or angled steel and cut and weld away. I haven't done one but have thought the process through. If you post the question on the main topic forum, you might get more replies.

Now back to the grill, I've decided that either the Weber 100 or 200 would work best, they have the highest ratings.

~Paul~

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.

Offline belfert

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 06:00:28 PM »
I carry a full size Ducane grill with the base removed.  (The real Ducane grills before Weber bought them.)  The issue for a full timer is it uses ceramic disks that move around when the bus moves.  It isn't a big issue for someone who only makes a few trips a year.

A grill like mine could easily be mounted on a slide, but I just put mine on a table under an awning.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline usbusin

• '60 PD4104-4355 (sold) and '01 Freightliner (sold)
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 06:22:58 PM »
I like the Weber Q, both at home and on the road.  Not too small, but large enough for cooking for 4-6 people.  Don't have it on a slide, but use it on a table while on the road.  At home I have a large propane bottle, for the road use a small 5 gallon.  Works fine for us.
Gary D

USBUSIN was our 1960 PD4104 for 16 years (150,000 miles)
USTRUCKIN was our 2001 Freightliner Truck Conversion for 19 years (135,000 miles)
We are busless and truckless after 35 years of traveling

Offline Tenor

• Three Men and a Tenor
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 06:31:02 PM »
I've seen some pictures of grills that swing out on a pivot from the bay.  Anyone have one of those?  I saw one that mounts in your trailer hitch.  Expensive at 300!

Glenn
Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer

Offline WEC4104

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 07:20:24 PM »
For my bus, I started with an old full size gas grill that I bought in 1988.  It was a decent quality grill in it's day, with cast iron grates, cast iron dual burner, and a cast aluminum housing.  However, years of outside weather took it's toll on the fancy wooden cart that it was built on.  I scrapped the cart and kept the basic workings.  A little clean up and a fresh coat of high temp paint and she looked brand new. Oh, and I replaced the burner.   In the process, I added four short legs using 6" pieces of threaded pipe with mounting flanges. I can either place the grill on the ground or on a campsite picnic table.

Because it is a full size grill, yet it pretty portable, it makes appearances at non-bus activities as well. It has been on Boy Scout trips, sports tailgating parties, and to larger bashes at friend's houses when one grill isn't enough.
If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline bobsw

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 07:53:46 PM »
I like the sport grill that I got at lowes. It has three burners so it can be used as an outside stove the grill part sits on top of the burners. the legs come off. This makes it very easy to store and set up, no slide needed.
73 MCI-7

Offline jmblake

• Jason & Martha Blake
    • Creative Custom Cabinetry
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 04:13:17 AM »
This was going to be one of my next projects, I was looking at this little grill http://www.backyardbarbequestore.com/LiquidPropane/Stow--Go-Grill_3880112.html seemed not to bad in price for SS. i was going to build a cabinet underneath it with 2 drawers to put cooking utensils in and have the hole cabinet slide out. Jason   

Offline CindyandJohn

• 1989 Eagle Model 15 6V92
    • www.cindyandjohn.us
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 09:09:20 AM »
I have a couple of grills from this company: http://www.topgrill.com and I enjoy them both. We have a 24" standup model for home and a portable one we carry in the bus. All Heavy Duty Stainless Steel. I have had them both for more then 5 years and I have had no issues with either. When they get all messy a little oven cleaner and a garden hose and they shine right back up! Unlike most other grills I owned prior. I have no affiliation with these guys but have only had great experiences with the company.

Just my two cents!

John
Will be away from our bus for a while :(

Offline Chopper Scott

• MCI 7
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 10:50:28 AM »
Generally when I'm camping I go the charcoal route but have a small propane camping grill along that gets used sometimes. I recently bought a Traeger wood pellet grill for the house and have not used my Weber propane grill since. I probably never will again. Their is no comparison in flavor comparing the Traeger to the propane grill and the Traeger is a lot easier. They are costly with mine coming in at $700 however. I probably will buy a smaller version for the bus. I'm spoiled with the taste now. later
Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.

Offline chargePlus

• 1951 GMC PD4103-125
    • The Official Bus Page for John & Natasha's GMC PD4103
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 02:28:51 PM »
Hey Folks,

Late to the thread, as usual...

At home I have a BBQ's Galore "Grand Endeavor" which is an all stainless model. It gets plenty hot when all three main burners are cranked, the infrared rotisserie burner cooked a beef roast for us very nicely (need to try it with a full roaster chicken), and it has a dedicated "smoker" burner and wood-chip box that we have yet to try. It also has a side burner that I have only lit to make sure it works. Natasha and I have had it for several years and we use it quite a bit, especially when the weather is warm. The grill heats up pretty quickly, and the cooking grates are great for putting on the grill marks. The grates are a cast iron core wrapped in stainless, and they rock.

Apparently the company went belly up, but they seem to still have dealers in the Southwest.

http://www.bbqgalore.com/

The grills were not cheap when I bought the Grand Endeavor, but it has lived up to my expectations and then some.

I also have a small stainless single u-tube burner BBQ Grillware (from a big box store, forget which one) that I take with me when I leave home. It works great for toasting bagels in the morning, grilling not dogs, burgers, chicken, shrimp, and steaks for lunch and dinner. I'm confident that with a cast iron griddle I could make french toast, pancakes, etc. It has hot spots that you need consider, but for what I paid a bunch of years ago, and the abuse it has seen, it's still rockin' the tailgate at the track.

- John
Sports Car Lover and Bus Nut
1951 GMC PD4103-125 http://www.euliss-uftring.org/DaBus
Sports Car Club of America http://www.ncrscca.com/
Mazda Sports Car Club of NC http://www.msccnc.org/

Offline TomC

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 07:39:23 PM »
I bought the Olympian portable propane grill from Camping World like 15 years ago for $120.00.  Now is on sale for $78.00-one of the few things that have come down in price.  It is a good compact unit made of aluminum with stainless burners, so it won't rust out.  I can cook 6 chicken breasts at once (gives you an idea of the size).  While you can't smoke with it, the advantage of having portable, is you can use it at the location you want-rather than at your bus.  If you want a big ole smoker, that's a different story.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal