Author Topic: anybody have any info on the military rebuilds on ebay???  (Read 3337 times)

Offline RickB

• 81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754
anybody have any info on the military rebuilds on ebay???
« on: May 12, 2009, 07:35:01 AM »
Hi folks,

I have me eye on a 8v71 turbo with a buy it now price of $1500 but when they decommission these things they remove the turbo, starter and oil cooler, and they break the bellhousing, (somehow they think that a bellhousing is a government secret... go figure) Well, that said, it is a rear mount turbo, which would have to be changed. The turbo and oil cooler have been replaced but that still leaves me looking for a bellhousing and manifolds.

I like the 375HP and the fact that it is a dry sleeve two stroke. It also is the easiest repower for me once the motor is ready to go in.

So, does anybody out there know how well of a job our military did rebuilding these things in general and what effect will sitting for a number of years have on seals and lastly where would I find a bellhousing and how hard is it to change bellhousings out and intake/exhaust manifolds???
I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.

Offline poppi

• mci 8 L10 ZF tranmission; helena
Re: anybody have any info on the military rebuilds on ebay???
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 07:40:25 AM »

Rick,

May I ask why you like the dry sleeve better?

Thanks
 Skip
Snow disappeared......Now where did I put that bus?

Dallas

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 07:50:46 AM »
Rick, those engines were probably not rebuilt by the gummint. Usually they are rebuilt at the Detroit diesel Reman Facility in Emporia KS.

I know a guy that does the dyno testing at that plant, and those engines are well tested before being consigned for shipment.

Offline RickB

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 08:28:52 AM »
Skip,

The dry sleeve turbo setup doesn't require an intercooler and all the plumbing that goes with it, it hooks right up to all my linkages and it is a bit more forgiving to temperature fluctuations. It is my understanding that the O-rings in the 92 wet sleeve motors make them inherently less heat tolerant and that is why we have read about quite a few instances of coolant in places it's not supposed to be.
The truth is Gumpy and Brian Diehl are probably gonna do an intervention on me if I try to do this because they both think my 8v71 is a darn good runner. I would love to buy this motor and put it away for a year and slowly get it ready for next summer but with a pinion gear seal in need of replacement and a tag axle seal that has drenched my tag brake shoes in oil I probably shouldn't be considering this. Also, the motor is in PA. which is a long haul from Minnesota.
It sure would be the easiest repower for me and I just talked to a guy who had an 8v71 and went to one of these for a repower, he said it is a ridiculously huge power difference and he get's the same fuel mileage with 8v71T as he did with his NA 8v71.

Well. we can drean can't we???

Rick

Offline poppi

• mci 8 L10 ZF tranmission; helena
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 08:44:16 AM »

Rick,

Well I can't really talk ........I have an extra L10 behind the shop. I will probably rebuild it just before
 I replace the current one. Though a different manufacture sitting for long periods I will be a lot more
 at ease on installing one that I know doesn't have seal, ring etc storage issues.

Careful what you dream for :)

Skip
Snow disappeared......Now where did I put that bus?

Offline HB of CJ

Buy It As A Rebuilt "Long Block", Then Take It Apart And Look?
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 03:02:20 PM »
How are your Detroit Diesel take down and rebuild skills?  How about buying the mill, then at your own pace, take it totally down and do a look see?  Then any seals or gaskets can be replaced at your leisure?

Sometimes the military added weird accessories that won't work in a Bus Conversion, but can easily be removed and replaced.  Also you would know exactly what is inside your Detroit Ex-military super mill.

Sorry about the gear housing.  Bummer.  Why do they do that?  Some silly law fur sures.  Anyway, buy the Detroit and take your time and have fun reconfiguring it for an exact replacement for your Coach.  HB of CJ

Offline BG6

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 04:54:43 PM »

I have me eye on a 8v71 turbo with a buy it now price of $1500 but when they decommission these things they remove the turbo, starter and oil cooler, and they break the bellhousing, (somehow they think that a bellhousing is a government secret... go figure)

Not at all -- if it were ready to go, they would have a liability issue if you put it in something and kill yourself.  When you buy one, it's "as-is, in need of repair," so if you fix it and kill yourself, whatever repairs you made were outside of their control, so whatever happened isn't their fault.

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 05:02:42 PM »
I worked at Perkins engines during the first Gulf War; they were receiving large numbers V12 tank engines and V8 tank transporter engines from the desert, emptying the sand out, and sending them back. My job was to build a computer system to generate the invoices to be sent to the Ministry of Defence. The reason they needed me was that this was being done on a cost-plus contract, which they weren't set up for. If your Detroits were handled the same way I would be very happy buying such a unit, knowing that the manufacturer had rebuilt it to highest-specification-no-expense-spared standards

Jeremy
A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 01:01:48 AM »
Rick, will the guy give you a model and serial number for the engine it could have a after cooler not uncommon for 8v71 they use the same cooler as a 8v92.
 For the storage issues those engines are fogged with oil after rebuild and testing and can set for years without any problems.I think you have to change the front cover also and if it has a cold weather package you need to remove it from the air box also.     good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline RickB

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 10:22:52 AM »
here are the #'s

8VA445942

7083 7395

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 10:43:30 AM »
I have a buyer for your current 8V71.  When can he pick it up?

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline RickB

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 02:02:11 PM »
I told you guys that Craig likes my motor....

I am thinking about it very hard my friend.

rick

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal