Author Topic: Categories...  (Read 11442 times)

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
Categories...
« on: March 10, 2006, 05:29:13 AM »
Been thinking about this board lately, and thought I'd throw this out.

It was suggested that there be only one general category, which I think is fine for the general information which would be archived and searchable.  But what about the stuff that doesn't need to be archived? or the stuff that isn't really general information?

While I don't post on the BNO board for personal reasons which I'm not going to get into, I do read it and respond via email when necessary and possible. I have to say that I like the format of that board, and this one seems to offer very similar capabilities.

I like the ebay section there because the stuff is only there for awhile and then when the auction is over, it's gone. No archival of stuff. You can post an auction number that is bus associated.

I also like the flea market section. I think his policy of allowing parts to be posted, but not whole buses is reasonable and should be considered here. You'd need to convince Mike to allow some classifieds to implement this, but maybe it's time. I've often thought that policy has hindered usage of the MAK board, anyway. I understand the restrictions on listing whole buses, due to the conflict with the potential sale of ads in the magazine, but it doesn't make sense to restrict parts. Nobody is going to buy an ad for a spare doo-da part they might have available that someone else could use.

I think it would be cool to have a map of the US and Canada, too, where everyone could post a pushpin where they live, and where they currently are, so when traveling, we could look up who's in the general vicinity.

Just my thoughts... 

Craig  ::)
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
Re: Categories...
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 08:11:43 PM »
These are some well thought-out ideas.  Thanks for the additional input Craig.  That "push-pin" map would be really cool.  I need to think about how to do some of these.

Best Regards, Phil
Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9, 1995 MCI DL3-45

Offline Danny

• 87' MCI 102A3 - getting there...
    • Personal Web Page
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 09:23:18 PM »
I particually like the push pin idea...  Contacts are a wonderful thing for us new folks!

Thanks,

Danny
I have heard it said, "life comes at you fast".  I didn't know it would be in the shape of a bus  :-)

orogle

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 08:59:13 AM »
might be nice to have it show on both a usa map and then also have a state map since some of the areas will have many people

just thinking out loud

orogle

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 09:51:49 AM »
I like the map idea too. It is surprising how many bus nuts I have met that are close by.

The temporary / non-archived category for parts & such is a nice idea too.

Even with out these features, I like this new board, even if the scrolling text is annoying as can be.

Thanks Phil!
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline Merlin

• Run away before the kids come back home.
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 09:54:58 AM »
Map suggestion gets my vote.  Do I have a vote?   ;D
Bus conversion is DONE, and now the home for full-time travel.  Look for me parked in front of your house.

Offline JimC

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 04:48:34 PM »
Phil
You may want to check out the link below, it has a pin type baord that highlights the owners when clicked on.
It is a little slow loading but still is neat.
You could go one further and set it up for people that are willing to help out when needed, or ones that offer a place to park for a night.
JimC 4106
Wisconsin

http://www.frappr.com/gmbusowners
4106 - 8-71/730
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
between Milwaukee & Madison

Dallas

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 06:23:01 PM »
I use to belong to a board that had the map and also some virtual campgrounds to park your virtual rig in. I'll have to get on my wifes computer tomorrow and see if I can find it.
Dallas

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 11:41:05 PM »
Folks,

Guess I have to add my vote for the push pin map.  Great idea.

JohnEd
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Ross

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 07:01:32 AM »
There is a graoup called Busnuts on Frappr.  Don't know if anyone here started it, but I just added myself.  Link is....

http://www.frappr.com/busnuts

Offline Merlin

• Run away before the kids come back home.
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 08:20:00 AM »
A map of all things!  Sort of neat, but wonder what it would look like with several hundred little "stick pins" on it?  What the heck is a "frappr" anyway?    :-\
Bus conversion is DONE, and now the home for full-time travel.  Look for me parked in front of your house.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal