Author Topic: Temp Coat  (Read 16969 times)

Offline MCI-RICK

• 1986 TMC 102A3 6V92TA
Re: Temp Coat
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2009, 06:13:58 PM »
John,

I joined this forum in April of this year.  I began posting just recently.  HighTechRedneck, who I know from another forum, often referred to busnuts on this board.  This prompted me to come take another look and I've not regretted it.  I've gained valuable knowledge and information and I'm having fun. 

I have no interest in arguments or debates that cross the line.  It is an expected practice, in this forum, to address each other with respect and not in a condescending or otherwise belittling fashion irrespective of views, opinions,  knowledge or the lack thereof. 

FYI, This will be my only reply to this type of post.  Future posts of this type will be ignored.

That said,  anyone who's invested in the acquisition of a bus will hopefully follow through on their due diligence and not decide a course of action based entirely on an ongoing discussion.  I'm looking at new products since discoveries and technological breakthroughs occur on a daily basis.  My posts are not intended to sway anyone, I'm merely participating.   I may discover that the current product used for insulating buses is the best way but I may also discover something better or new.     

As you mentioned, asbestos was once approved by the Navy.  It was implemented in a wide variety of applications and embraced as "the product".  Now, there are lawsuits due to its deadly effects.  Yet, the use of any other product, at the time, was likely discouraged.  This brings to point my reason for looking at and considering new products, ideas or other ways of doing things.

BTW, I'm not implying foam is a harmful product.  While it seems to be considered "the product" to use, someday it too will be replaced by something better.  Someday may be years from now or next year or even next month. 

Whatever the case, I'll enjoy the adventure of converting and using my bus!

Rick

Aim high but look out below

Offline sweeney153

• Sweeney 153
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2009, 02:51:37 PM »
I did my testing. The lab results follow. You can make of it what you like. I know some others are testing also and I hope they let us know their findigs.
Warwick NY
1964 4106-2703 8V71 Spicer 4 speed

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2009, 03:35:48 PM »
Thanks for posting the results of your test. I really like the "official" look of your test results.  This is the kind of thing that makes these busnut BB so great.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline MCI-RICK

• 1986 TMC 102A3 6V92TA
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2009, 04:24:02 PM »
Sweeney153,

Kudos!  That was an impressive test!  Like Jack said, it takes a busnut to do something like that.  It seems the evidence speaks for itself.  I got my kit yesterday but I don't think I can top what you did.  I'll ask HighTechRedneck.

Rick
Aim high but look out below

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2009, 04:07:43 AM »
Hmmmmm, I wonder if I would see an adequate benefit if I painted the sides, top, and back of our refrigerator with this stuff?  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2009, 05:38:33 AM »
I love the well conducted tests and format of results.  Very professional and well documented.

It's a shame they only gave enough of a sample to coat it <5mil.  I wonder if Bus Conversion's Magazine contacted them with an interest in doing a product review article if they would provide enough to do 20 and 40mil tests?  If so, would you be interested in doing the tests and writing the results similar to what you did?

That test was primarily a conductive heat test.  Are you thinking of doing a radiant heat test?  For example, placing it in direct mid day sun and performing similar tests.  Or a heatlamp for a more controlled environment.

How would you describe the texture of the finished surface?  Did it produce a slightly granular surface as some other brands have been noted as doing?

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2009, 06:07:39 AM »
Tom Hall @ Coach Conversion Central had some test results for the product on his web several years back maybe he still does.
I don't know if he still sells the product or not,I bought 10 gals from him years ago and wasn't impressed with it on the inside of the bus.
To make a long story short the  1/8 in roll board was a better product for me. 
Tom is a good guy give him a call and he will tell you the pros and cons of the product.    

good luck  
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline sweeney153

• Sweeney 153
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2009, 07:37:27 AM »
HighTechRedneck

It's a shame they only gave enough of a sample to coat it <5mil.  I wonder if Bus Conversion's Magazine contacted them with an interest in doing a product review article if they would provide enough to do 20 and 40mil tests?  If so, would you be interested in doing the tests and writing the results similar to what you did?

That test was primarily a conductive heat test.  Are you thinking of doing a radiant heat test?  For example, placing it in direct mid day sun and performing similar tests.  Or a heatlamp for a more controlled environment.

I’d like to do more tests before I decide to use it. I would be happy to write it up for the magazine.

How would you describe the texture of the finished surface?  Did it produce a slightly granular surface as some other brands have been noted as doing?

The surface was rough, but I applied it with a brush. The manfactuer recomends using a sprayer. If the sprayed surface is anty thing like i got with the brush there is no chance I would put it on the outside of my bus
Warwick NY
1964 4106-2703 8V71 Spicer 4 speed

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal