Author Topic: Hi everybody!  (Read 6953 times)

Offline Dave N.

• Dave's 1969 Eagle Model 5
Hi everybody!
« on: April 09, 2006, 09:51:56 PM »
Hi everyone! I'm brand new to the bus conversion community, but I've decided to jump in head first and see what I'm capable of. I've read a bunch of books on the subject so far, and bought my bus over the past week. It's a 1969 Eagle Model 5, with an 8v-71 and a 4 speed transmission. The bus didn't have a bathroom, I was kind of happy about that, since I didn't want to have to remove and dispose of that mess. I'm currently in the process of removing the seats, and seeing what's behind the walls.
I've started a webpage diary to post what I do each day I work on it, and that's at:
http://www.blastnotes.com/69eagle/wpres/
I know that I'll probably catch a lot of heck because I bought a bus without a pre-purchase inspection, but I thought I got a good deal on it, and so far it seems to be in decent shape, considering its age. The folks that I bought the bus from drove it down to my home for me, that was a 7 hour trip, and they had no problems or fear about doing it.
Anyways, I just wanted to say hello, and introduce myself. I hope to learn a lot from you all, and I am grateful that there is such a wonderful community out here.

Thanks!
Dave N.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
Re: Hi everybody!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 10:02:56 PM »
 ;DWelcome aboard! An hey yer off to a great start! ;D
Hey if it made it 7hrs yer a step ahead of some people who have had preinspections, and still had trouble getting home! So hey I wouldn't worry to much! Just ask and you'll get more advice than ya really wanted but ya sift through it use the best of it and loose the rest of it! It's now yer bus so do it yer way! You'll enjoy the boards and the people on 'em if ya gotta good sense of humor! If not you could end up frustraighted with some of these guys from time to time ! Including me! LOL! Good luck and don't be afraid to ask! I assure you no one here is afraid to answer! LOL Have fun and enjoy! ;D 8)
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline TomC

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 10:18:50 PM »
Dave- Congratulations on making the leap!  I personally have always liked the look of the model 5 like yours.  I think it would be nice if you left the original bus lines intact instead of being like everyone else and putting updated caps on.  I like to be different, and not putting on the caps will keep that distinct look the model 5 had.  But-whatever you do, do it your way.  And remember-as long as everything works, doesn't catch on fire, nobody gets hurt, and the cabinets don't fall off the wall while driving, you've more or less done the conversion right.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 04:31:29 AM »
Welcome to a great hobby[/color][/b]
Dave,
  You will find this is a great group of people that are also infected with that very addictive syndrome known as BUSNUTS.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 06:19:59 AM »
Wow, if it's really as nice as the photos on the ebay link, you got a great deal.

Is that original miles?? If it is, you stole it!

I hope you don't find it all rusted out inside, but if the photos are true, it sure looks to be in good condition. Doesn't look like it's ever been curbed, but hard to tell on the photos.

Congratulations. Keep us up to date on your progress and when you update your website.

craig
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline Dave N.

• Dave's 1969 Eagle Model 5
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 12:09:20 PM »
I personally have always liked the look of the model 5 like yours.  I think it would be nice if you left the original bus lines intact instead of being like everyone else and putting updated caps on.

Well, the rear cap with the dual windows angles forward a lot more than some of the upgraded rear caps do. I think I would really gain a lot of interior space there. Secondly, one of the rear windows is cracked top to bottom, so I don't know which would be more cost effective, the cap or the replacment window. In the front, there's definitely argument for keeping the old style cap, it's very unique looking. Even if I did a roof raise on the coach, the windows could easily be sized taller.

What surprised me in the coach though, was the amount of height between the first "landing" directly to the right of the driver's seat, and the height of the main coach floor. I think it was about 18 inches difference. When people talk about raising the driver's floor to that height, how do they modify the front of the coach without having the driver's toes at the base of the windshield?  ???

Thanks for the warm welcome! I hope that eventually I can be as helpful to others as you all are!
Dave N.

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 12:32:23 PM »
Hello Dave,

Welcome to the board!

We wish you lots of luck with your project.

The advice you will recieve here from our members it top notch!!

They should be abel to intice confidence in you to carry on through your conversion.

Nick Badame-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal