Author Topic: How many types of DD-3 are there?  (Read 4872 times)

Offline BG6

Re: How many types of DD-3 are there?
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2009, 04:33:51 PM »
There are ALWAYS two kinds on ANYTHING.

1)  The kind you have.

2)  The kind that everyone else has, for which there are manuals, cheap parts and advice in abundance.

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 06:03:54 AM »
Tony has it right.

On original install, the pushrod is supposed to be cut to a length that puts the slack adjuster/pushrod angle in relation to one another close to 90 degrees with the brakes applied, and with the brakes adjusted.

In earlier attempts to train drivers, this bit of info was then passed out as how to check your brake stroke..WRONG!!!

First, by eye, a few degrees either side is a whole lot of stroke, and secondly, how do you know the mechanic cut the rod at the right length to begin with? Very inaccurate, for a device so important and that is about an inch of difference between fully right, and fully wrong!

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline Fredward

• 2000 Country Coach Magna (not a bus)
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2009, 10:23:33 AM »
Well i got it back together yesterday. Adjusted the brakes, checked the angle of the push rod to the slack adjuster. Total stroke from released to fully applied is about 1.5". Test drove it and everything works well and it seems to stop better, but thats pretty subjective. I think the old rod was too short. It would bind when fully released.

Life is good.

A few more pictures will follow later, once I download them. I need to work on the generator exhaust pipe now.

Fred
Fred Thomson

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal