Author Topic: RV Salvage yard.  (Read 10789 times)

Offline johns4104s

RV Salvage yard.
« on: June 11, 2009, 04:46:45 AM »
We will be in Elkhart in July. Which are the best yards for furniture? Has anyone any ideas on price, will they bargin?

Thanks

John

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
Re: RV Salvage yard.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 07:07:49 AM »
John,
   When in July?  We plan to be there around July 6-9th.
   Latest I have heard is that Bontrager's (in White Pigeon, MI) and RV Surpus & Salvage have the biggest selection.  There used to be a place across the street from RV Surplus & Salvage (I think is was Discount Van & Truck, not sure about the name) that have a big assortment of chairs & dinnette cushions.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline busshawg

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 07:27:32 AM »
good chance we'll be there on the 8th, good question John. I have never shopped there
Have Fun!!
Grant

Offline Skykingrob

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 08:02:10 PM »
Hey Guys
I just got back last week from there. I spent 2 days going through everything. The best places are Bontragers in White Pigeon, MI and RV Surplus Salvage in Elkhart. RV and Van Surplus is across the street and 1 block west from RV Surplus but was mainly just like any other RV store, nothing special. Both places told me they had a bunch more surplus several months ago right after the economy went into the tubes causing the manufactures to shut down than now. Both the places were excited about an upcoming auction of Monoco stuff this week, thinking it would replenish there supplies.
Bontagers had 80 or so sofas and 30 or so chairs plus alot of RV salvage. I was looking for awnings but they had only 10-15, all mismatched, so no sets. They were displayed in a lean to shed lengthwise and very hard to tell what you were getting. They had several refergerators, RV and home style, some microwaves, RV and home style. a few light fixtures, some 110 and 12 volt, lots of home style cabinets, lots of mismatched day-night shades, tons of home style hardware like screws/washers/bolts, etc. They also had some home entertainment systems and surround sound systems. I was able to get a RV style 12 volt CD player, clock, radio unit surplus for $40 instead of the $168 retail without even haggling. I bought a 110 volt dinette light for $15, would have been $40 retail at a big box store. They had a sofa I really wanted but the best he would do was $475, compared to $1100 retail. I actually was disappointed with the selection of surplus but it may have been because I had this grand idea in my head. Also, be aware, it is 30 minutes east of Elkhart and to get there, you have to take the Indiana Turnpike, which costs $1 for the 17 miles you travel the pike.
RV Surplus Salvage had the most stuff, the day I got there they got a shipment of 50 sofa from flexsteel. Alot of sleepers, jack knife and magic beds. Total sofa count was very close to 100, probably close to 60 chairs, lots of dinette set cushions, furnaces, microwaves, lots of electrical things like junction boxes, switches, inverters, slide out motors/rails, tanks, water pumps, ladders, no A/C's, many comforter sets, some lights, buches of headlights, some dashboards, a few (10 or so) awings, mostly blues/teals/pinks, skylights, some end tables, night stands. Trina, the main gal, wheels and deals though. She had a sofa marked $1100, I offered $100 just to see what she would say. She laughed, set down in the sofa, said "this is a really nice sofa", then said I'll take $200, I offered $125 and she took $150. She was selling new surplus flexsteel ultraleather captains chairs 2 for $350, swivel chairs/recliner chairs for $200. I wouldn't say I was disappointed, but again not the bonanza in terms of amount of stuff I thought I would see. The two days I was there, there were cars in the parking lot from Florida, Oregon, Texas, California, Washington, Deleware, Maine just to name a few.

I stayed at the Econolodge, acceptable king room for $50 per night with a breakfast, gasoline was $2.89 for regular. Everywhere I went people were talking about how tough it was economy wise, but it didn't look that bad. There is a Menards (like Lowes) near RV Surplus, so if you don't bring tarps/tie down straps, it is readily available and the guys, while slow, will wrap everything for you and help load it, especially if into your coach.

Rob
91 Prevost LeMirage XL
Missouri

Offline johns4104s

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 08:13:15 PM »
Jack, Busshwa,

We hope to be there the 6th/7th or 11th/12th. Any good camping in that area?

Thx

John

Offline rdbishop

• '68 MCI-7 892T, 740 Richard & Missy - Texas
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 09:27:23 PM »
John,

We should be in Elkhart on the 11th or 12th. Looking for captain chairs. Are you on the road now or you leaving from your house? We're leaving on July 9th. Looks like everyone going there.

Richard

Offline JackConrad

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 04:27:27 AM »
We plan to stay at Elkhart Campground on CR-4. We have heard from several other busnuts that it is a nice place to stay.  We will probably be leaving on the 9th or 10th.  Hope to maybe see ya'll there.  Jack

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 05:00:50 AM »
Jack, if that is the Elkhart County Fairgrounds in Goshen, it is not a bad place.  We just did a couple of shows there. 

However, they have spots along the creek that are within 30 yards of some very busy train tracks.  We did not mind, as we like the sounds of trains, but it is a very busy set of tracks.  Also a bit expensive for what you get.  About $26 for 30 amp.  They have some 50 amp  site as well.
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/

Offline JackConrad

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 05:19:22 AM »
Jim,   No this is the Elkhart Campground on County Road 4 at Elkhart.  Here is a link to their website.  Jack   

http://www.elkhartcampground.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal