Author Topic: Newbee Needs Advice Moving A Bus  (Read 10639 times)

Offline Chopper Scott

• MCI 7
Re: Newbee Needs Advice Moving A Bus
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2009, 05:34:35 AM »
The start of a new project!!! Best of luck on your new adventure and keep us filled in. I'm looking forward to more pics as you progress. I'm sure you'll be a lot happier when it's sitting in front of your house! Later
Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.

Offline Alan Baker

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2009, 05:43:36 AM »
If in fact it is road worthy and you get it started. A trip from Danbury, CT to Lukes in Vineland, I think, NJ is not a big deal.
Having Luke give it a once over could be way less expensive than driving a short distance then having to have it towed.
I brought both my busses home in similar but better looking condition. My 4106 in 1980 and my Eagle in 2000.
Both were great adventures that I would relish doing again. On the trip with the Eagle we had no gauges whatever. For the 1st 2 or 3 hundred miles I stopped every 20 or 30 minutes and stuck my finger in the surge tank to make sure the water was still on board. The 4106 had no headlights and it was winter so we had to have a place to stay  no later than 4pm once we reached the east coast. Both trips took 3 days.
If its going to be driven do it your self. You will bond with the machine, it will one of your greatest adventures and after almost 30 yrs the memory will be fresh in your mind. It might even get a little better every time you tell it.
Good luck
Alan
Alan Baker
Lake Placid, FL
61 PD4106-00038 for 23 yrs
84 Eagle-10 10" roof raise
6V92 turbo 90 injectors Allison 740
since 2000
Every ride is a new adventure

Offline BG6

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2009, 06:59:41 AM »
Steve
Thanks for the offer I will keep it in mind, It is in the Danbury area. If I came out and get it running to move do you know of any storage near by until I can get it prepped for the longer move.

There's half of your solution right now. 

Go out, try to get it running over a weekend -- if you can't, then tow it to storage, coming back when you have more time.  It's a lot cheaper to big-rig tow a few miles than to Landoll it a few hundred miles.  Putting it in storage will buy you time to get it running and happy.

Offline BG6

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2009, 07:03:57 AM »
Looking at the pic, I notice the square headlights and the window skins -- maybe it hasn't been sitting as long as you think.  Someone has done some conversion work.

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2009, 07:29:27 AM »
It has been sitting over 4 years. The conversion work that was done seems of good quality, but how complete was it? Will take time to determine that.

As soon as you know the date & time you'll be there, let others know so those whose schedules will allow can make plans to meet up with you & help evaluate her.

I didn't have much trouble getting help to move mine. There are lots of us just looking for a good vacation.  ;D

You could pose it as a rally with the featured event being a hands-on workshop to get her road worthy.  8)

If you apply your car experience, there isn't much difference in the fundamentals. Air is used for springs & brake fluid, the rest is same ole same ole - Just BIGGER!
If she will air up, - if the air compressor can keep up, - if she retains fluids in an acceptable manner, - if the tires are up to the job,
-
-
-
- Try moving her in the yard - if that goes well, put her on the road & ease it up to speed - if that goes well, drive her home!  ;D
Just don't flog it too hard untill you have established some history with her. . .

Take a cell phone so IF you need assistance, you won't have to walk as far.  ;)

I've priced both hook/wheel lift & Landoll. The hook has always been higher. Also, you have to have a functioning air system in your bus & let's not forget the tires.
When you lift the front of a 4501, you put a LOT of pressure on the rear axle & can over load those tires. If you let the air off it, the tail drags.
You will also find that most hook drivers will refuse to connect to a bus that old that has been in storage so long. (They may say 'no problem' on the phone, but when they see it, they may refuse & still want to charge you for the service call.  :o  >:(   BTDT

A fellow out west bought one & started out with it without realizing it didn't have water in the radiator. Lost the motor, so he called a tow. On the hook it went & down the road it went - Until a the drive shaft that was disconnected fell into the spinning axle pinion which damaged that & took out an air line which let the rear drop on the pavement. Road fix & back on the road until a tire failed which let the rear drop on the pavement, again. Finally decided to call in the Landoll.

So, focus on a landoll if you need a tow, much less risk & stress & usually cheaper in the long run.
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline tpboj

• PD4501-805
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2009, 05:24:24 AM »
SCENICRUISER PD4501-805 arrives at her new home!

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2009, 07:49:56 AM »
What a BEAUTY!
And if ya don't mind us asking just how much did that nice extended RGN (removable goose neck) cost you to do the move? Oh yeah and from where to where? By the way even if you do mind we are a nosy bunch of helpers! LOL! ;D 
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline uncle ned

• Visit: Busconversionstuff.com
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2009, 08:18:56 AM »

This is for Kyle.  Goodsons bus sales in Maiden NC has a super nice 4501 for sale.

It needs to live in the company of other 4501  and this one runs.

uncle ned
4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear

Offline tpboj

• PD4501-805
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2009, 08:20:15 AM »
I don't mind.
It was moved almost 1000 miles @ roughly 4.50 per mile, a bit pricey but safest way. From Connecticut to North of Chicago. It was nowhere near roadworthy. Someone has bed cannibalizing the poor girl.
 FWI if anyone needs to move a bus I would highly recommend O'Hare Towing, Friendly Knowledgeable Driver. Very Professional.

Tom

PD4501-805

Offline kyle4501

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2009, 08:33:45 AM »
Glad to hear you got it home safely! That wasn't too bad a rate either when you consider all that could have gone south during a drive.

When it comes to 4501 specific parts, post here & on the Scenicruiser Yahoo groups. You may find they aren't as impossible to get as some would have you believe.

Keep us posted & share more pictures!

Ned, I have one that runs.
I also have a wife who said no more buses. I can't afford to disobey her edict.  :(

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2009, 09:20:04 AM »

FWI if anyone needs to move a bus I would highly recommend O'Hare Towing, Friendly Knowledgeable Driver. Very Professional.

Tom

PD4501-805

Is this gonna make it on their TV show on Speedvision?
It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

Offline uncle ned

• Visit: Busconversionstuff.com
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2009, 11:13:26 AM »
  Kyle 
 mine said no more also   but does that mean anything.  only have room for 2 right now  looking at a 40 footer. to full time in

She told me 45 years ago if i bought a motorcycle he was leaving. now about 100 bikes and 45 years she is still here.

uncle ned

ps did you check out that one its a entertainer  but nice
4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear

Offline tpboj

• PD4501-805
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2009, 11:38:34 AM »

Kyle and uncle Ned
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permition.

Offline kyle4501

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2009, 12:08:02 PM »
After 8, her forgiveness was all used up.  :o
She callmed down after I sold 2. . . . . .
I don't have enough 'change' to get it anyways.  :'(

I bought a dump truck once, used it to haul off debris from the house remodel & sold it for more than I paid for it. . . . . Still a sore spot with SWMBO (she who must be obeyed)

Ned, I believe you definitely got one of good ones  ;)  And she can cook too!  8)

BTW, I ain't worried about her leaving, its the staying with a bad mood that keeps me awake! (fear can be a powerful motivator)  ::)

Offline BG6

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2009, 08:59:05 PM »
I see that you got it home.  Good work!

I still believe that the 4501 is the most beautiful coach ever built.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal