Author Topic: Where is the best place to get electric panels and wire? EOM  (Read 17071 times)

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
Re: Where is the best place to get electric panels and wire? EOM
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2006, 04:40:17 PM »
Waytek is the way to go!

Great customer service and all the products I have bought are of high quality.

Richard-I went to the NASA soldering school.  Learned to solder anything and everything.

Dallas-I tin the wire end before I crimp it in a solderless connector. I find that it bites better.  A lot of people think we overbuild things. I like to think many of us exceed the minimum standards.

Cliff   
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Dallas

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2006, 05:28:52 PM »
Cliff,
I never got to go to soldering school. But I did have this cuban guy teach me, he was about 312 years old and did body work the old way, by pouring lead into the dents instead of bondo. I think that guy could have soldered water and air together.
Of course he was the worst driver in the world. I think his '56 Buick weighed close to 11,000 lbs.
I watched him make a doll out of copper one time and used single strands from speaker wire for hair. It took him all year, but he made it for a Christmas present for his grand daughter.
Hmmm, she was 4 in 1975 so, lets see, that makes me, unh. hmmm. I think I'll just open another beer instead. I feel suddenly very, very old.
Dallas

Offline gus

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2006, 05:32:32 PM »
The biggest problem I've found with my bus and my old truck wiring is corroded solder joints. This alone is enough for me to avoid soldering not to mention that soldering is a time wasting  pain.

The point about wire breaking at the solder wicking end in the wire is another thing I have found a lot of.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Dallas

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2006, 05:48:06 PM »
The biggest problem I've found with my bus and my old truck wiring is corroded solder joints. This alone is enough for me to avoid soldering not to mention that soldering is a time wasting  pain.

The point about wire breaking at the solder wicking end in the wire is another thing I have found a lot of.
As I stated before, I've never had a failed solder joint.
Then too, if the joint is corroded, it's most likely from using acid flux. That would also make the joint or wire eventually fail.
If you use the heat sink method it stops any wicking of the solder.
And I would bet I can make a solder joint in the same or less time it takes you to crimp one.
Oh well, Do it your way. I'm happy with mine.
Dallas

Offline Melbo

• MC8 under construction
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2006, 06:08:31 PM »
I concur with the crimp connectors and the racheting tool is the only way to go so you don't over or under crimp.

BUT the reason we are converting is because we want it done OUR OWN WAY.

Melbo
If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal