Author Topic: Bus n USA Rickreal Or this Weekend  (Read 4467 times)

Offline BC Bus

Bus n USA Rickreal Or this Weekend
« on: June 24, 2009, 08:40:00 AM »
Over on the other board I posted a query asking "anyone going to Rickreal" and only one response saying no.  This sort of gives me the feeling that the turnout might be really weak.
Also there is no agenda posted on the Bus N USA website and a note saying there will be no exhibitors. 

Does anyone know what's happeing and I am curious if anyone is going?  I would like to go but don't want to make the $$$$ leap unitl I know if I am going to be parked out in a 20 acre parking lot by myself
GMC Buffalo  &  MC9

Always willing to help a Busnut !

Offline Sean

• Geek.
  • '85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"
    • Our Odyssey
Re: Bus n USA Rickreal Or this Weekend
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 08:49:10 AM »
We have a conflicting commitment, so we will not be there.

However, we know some of the organizers and I spoke with them a couple weeks ago.  The simple reason why there will be no exhibitors is that almost every company in the RV-related industry has been hit really hard by the downturn, and they simply can't afford it.  Exhibitors not only have to pay for their exhibit space (even at a bus rally -- the extra tent or hall rental costs money, and that has to be recovered from the exhibitors), but also pay to get their wares to the rally, staff their booth, etc., and that also means taking a person away from the home office.

I know for a fact that many of these companies have had to lay people off just to stay alive, and that often means that the principals are having to stay home and man the shop.

Some of these folks will, of course, be in Rickreal anyway.  So, for example, Dick Wright (Wrico) will be there, even with no booth, and the Gregory's (Southern Oregon Diesel) and Lewis's (Infinity Coach) -- you'll certainly be able to talk to them around the dinner table or out at their coaches.

I would guess that attendance will be down somewhat this year, just due to the economy, but I think you will have a good rally anyway.  We'd be there if we did not have a conflict with our annual church conference.

HTH,

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 09:38:51 AM »
BC, you won't be there by yourself we are not attending and some I know planned on going have changed their minds and not attending this year.Joe Melroy's prime rib will be worth the trip if you like prime rib and it looked like to me you did     Good luck  
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline BUR

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 11:21:37 AM »
We will be leaving in the morning to go. I am sure it will be a good get together, regardless if 10 or 100 coaches show up. This will be start of a 5 1/2 week trip for us back through the midwest with multi-stops along the way. Hope to see you all there.     Bur
1980 Prevost   8V92 HT754CR
Homebase   Yuma AZ

Offline infinitycoach

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 12:42:04 PM »
We are at Rickreal now.....The turn out is good....We have 80 plus coaches registered and we figure that the end count could be at 100.  There are seminars scheduled for Friday and Saturday .....Great food, lots of talking,,,and even a band on Saturday night.

Thank you Sean for what you said...it is so true...Their has been a change in our industry and it is real hard to get away from a business when we are working hard "just to stay alive"....but we are here along with Dick Wright and David Gregory.  We know how important it is to go out and talk with you guys....answer questions...and hopefully give everyone a chance to see, feel and explore other options.  Our bus's don't do anyone any good just sitting in a carport or garage...we need to be out using them and sharing idea's.  So come on down....the sun is out...and I know its going to be a great weekend.  Bob Lewis (Infinity Coach Inc.) :)

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 01:33:21 PM »
I'm really disappointed that we can't make it this year.  It's a great rally - good people & awesome food - if you can get there you won't regret going.  Next year.
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline Gary W

• Gary's Bus
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 01:46:16 PM »
We are leaving early tomorrow for the rally from Vernon BC. Would have went sooner but had to work. Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Gary

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 01:57:24 PM »
Hope you guys have a dry weekend and the forecast is wrong   

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 02:34:08 PM »
BC,

I had your problem as well.  I couldn't seem to grasp "if" and "when" or even "what" from their site.  Glad it wasn't just me. WHEWWW! ;)

They expect to have approx 100 coaches there by Friday.  This will be a large event and it is a quality affair.  There are even people attending from Florida.  Considering who is running it and going on past events, this is a good and savvy group.

Dave Gregory, "The Prez" ,  needed help this year with organizing and everything.  It was too late for me to get involved or I would have done something if only direct traffic.  Those of you that are site development knowledgeable might make your volunteer services known.  I suspect they are looking for helpers.

I read a while back, on this board, that the Rickreall event was closed to members of FMCA only.  I mentioned that to Dave and he said that that was FMCA policy but that it was never enforced at Rickreall.  He said they had never turned a coach away.  I met Dave many years ago and he seems the same nice guy that he was then so I guess he is stuck in a rut...of sorts.  Membership is $20 per year so I would imagine that any that attended that weren't members when they arrived were so by the time they left. 

I asked Dave about helping with the shipping of the windows to MacGyver in LA.  He is putting out the word and has a couple that "might" be able to take them all the way....still checking.

BOTN, looking forward to meeting you next year.  Hope everyone gets this event on their calender.  Orygun is really nice in the summer....coast or inland from Roseburg on north.IMHO

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline Doug1968

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 05:41:50 PM »
I will be attending this event. It was this event last year that inspired me to go our and purchase a bus. Unfortunately, I will not have my bus at the event as it is in being painted.

I have attended hundreds of auto shows around the country but the Bus N USA event last year was my first bus event. I met some great people and had some excellent food. Even though I will not have my bus I will not miss this event.

I do know of some folks coming in from California and Arizona. Should be well attended.

I think that it is important that we attend and support these functions around the country to assure success. After all, aren't these to benefit those of us that have entered this hobby?

Life is short, enjoy it while you can.

Doug

1986 MCI 102A3 - 8V92 - 5 speed
Vancouver, Washington

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 07:29:15 PM »
BC, just to clarify a little.  On the other board i did not say no, what i said was is that if i have to work on Friday then we will not come. I work 4 or 5 10 hour days a week. For the last 2 weeks we have not worked on Friday but we might this Friday. Will not know until sometime tomorrow.  I only work for a few months during the summer. Last year i did not start until a week after BusN' and only worked about 9 weeks. This year i stared April 13th  which is good, and as of tonite i have as many hours in as i got last year which was bad, and hope to work a lot more this summer. However........we just don't have the jobs at this time and this one is almost thru so in a few weeks i may be done for the year. Therefore i need to get every hour that i can and especially if it is overtime. :)  But if i don't work Friday we should be there in the late afternoon!  I really hate to miss this, it is the one thing that i really look forward to all year.!!!
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline RJ

• Vantaré Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 11:12:16 PM »

Sadly, I cannot make it this year. . . Daughter & grandkids are down from Canada at the moment, only get to see them once a year, sometimes twice, so will miss this year's rally.

I had a great time last year, even put on a seminar which was well attended - some folk actually asked questions, too!

Next year!!

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline BC Bus

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 07:34:11 AM »
Thanks for all of the replies its sounds like the event will be a good one and I look forward to a great weekend.  I am really happy that they will have a good turnout. 

See you there,

Bill
GMC Buffalo  &  MC9

Always willing to help a Busnut !

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 08:20:13 PM »
Well, this morning they said we were working, then later they said we might not. Finally they said only some of us were going to work tomorrow and i am one of them. :(   Really hate to miss the rally but really need the 10 hours of overtime for tomorrow.  Probably looking at a layoff at the end of next week or so.......ah well, maybe next year will work out better for us. :)
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline Doug1968

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 05:26:52 PM »
I drove down early Saturday morning and spent the day at the Bus N USA rally. I have to say it was great. There were I believe right at 90 buses on site from several states. I met a fellow named Nelson Major from California who had just attended the rally in Louisiana. Several nice Provost's, Eagles and MCI's. I saw maybe 6-8 buses for sale.

I attended three seminars: Bus Electrical Systems by Wrico, Painting Your Bus by Mike Wilson and Emergency Training for Copilots. They were also giving driving lessons to the wives and it was great to see one woman who said she was afraid of the bus driving one of the 45' Provost's.

It was a really good time, nice to meet and talk to others attending. A fellow named Roger Rice from Palmdale Ca. had a beautiful Eagle!

At Saturday evening dinner they announced three other rally's that will be held in the next couple of months in the Northwest. One in Newport, Or., the FMCA Meet in Redmond, Or and another Rally being held with no entry fees at Moses Lake in September.

It was unfortunate that I did not have my bus out of the paint shop but I really enjoyed attending. The Bus N USA team that puts the rally together seems strong in their commitment to keep this rally alive. Hopefully more of you can attend next year.

They were having a swap meet on Sunday but I could not stay over.

The weather was beautiful at 78 deg.

Doug
Doug

1986 MCI 102A3 - 8V92 - 5 speed
Vancouver, Washington

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal