Author Topic: Do I really need to block up my bus???  (Read 8111 times)

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
Do I really need to block up my bus???
« on: June 29, 2009, 05:53:22 PM »
I know that this might be different with other buses, but on our DL3 with the airbags completely deflated I can still get under it (I am still trim enough 8) ;D 8)) without a creeper. I am guessing that our DL3 sits higher than some of yours. Is that correct? I am guessing it to be about 10" off of the ground fully deflated. Not to mention, I usually have to get under between the axles, so I don't have to get where it could be dangerous if the bags deflate. (I don't think though that other buses are as roomy between the axles. Do I remember correctly? I can sit up and move around just fine under ours, between the axles). I can fit between the drive and the tag axle.

I am just wondering if I am missing something here? Do I always need to block the bus when I am under it, or is it just a good habit? I also understand that our DL3 could be different that most others...

Thanks.

God bless,

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline Kwajdiver

• MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"
Re: Do I really need to block up my bus???
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 06:40:25 PM »
Ask yourself, what would happen, if the airbags were suddenly, hummm, without air.... Would you be trapped, crushed, anything bad like that. 

I use blocks, don't think you will find anyone on the board that will tell you otherwise.

Bill
Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI

Offline John316

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 06:59:56 PM »
If the airbags went kaplunk, then I would be able to get out (and back in to fix the problem ;D). I just wouldn't have as much room to maneuver ;D. Usually I am under the axles and there is plenty of room there, regardless of what happens to the bags, since I get in and out from between the axles, by squeezing out between the wheels ;D...Tight ;D

God bless,

John

Offline MCI-RICK

• 1986 TMC 102A3 6V92TA
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 07:27:02 PM »
John,

You must be really trim to squeeze through there!

Say you're under your bus checking on "that thing" at a rest stop.  It's noisy and you haven't noticed a hissing front tire losing air.  You're also caught up with the apparent problem and what you're going to do.  Would you still fit under there safely if that tire lost a third or half its air?  This may sound ridiculous but I've experienced more unusual than that.  I would only crawl under a bus without blocks if I had no alternative.

It pays to be safe.

Rick
Aim high but look out below

Offline WEC4104

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 07:27:25 PM »
I'm just trying to visualize all the times I have been on my back underneath a car with it properly jacked/blocked/supported.   Seems I always have my arm stretched across my face holding a large tool or part that I am working on.  Sometimes I'm rolled over on my side reaching for something.

If the airbags were to suddenly drop to 10 inches of ground clearance, there would be several items trying to occupy the same space. Not pretty.

Count me as one of those recommending you use the blocks.
If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline Sojourner

• Jesus Love You!
    • Jesus Love You!
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 08:54:08 PM »
I am guessing it to be about 10" off of the ground fully deflated.

I am just wondering if I am missing something here? Do I always need to block the bus when I am under it, or is it just a good habit? I also understand that our DL3 could be different that most others...

Thanks.

God bless,

John

Even if the air bags are fully deflated....your tires can blow any time.

I would carry a safety blocks kit with the bus at all time. Consists of one steel plate 3/8 x 14" x 14" and 8 x 8 x 10" long plus whatever shim to achieve the infated height.

BTW ...weld to a steel plate an 1/4" rod bend into shallow "U" shape at a 45 degree angle so your hand grab onto to move it around on the road surface and to carry it.

Sojourn for Christ, Gerald
http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 12:04:33 AM »
Gerald,

Could you elaborate on that safety kit or post a picture.  I am not getting it.  Thanks
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline Nusa

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 03:21:02 AM »
I get it. The steel plate is to put under the blocking point, because you can't trust the road not to fail under the smaller contact surface of your block. The handle is so you don't tear off your fingernails trying to pick up the plate.

And the blocks are blocks, either one big one or several ones suitable for stacking to the appropriate height.

Offline scanzel

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 03:35:26 AM »
SAFETY FIRST! We had a young guy last year in town, bought a QUIZNOS sub shop from my son's friend to start his own business, left behind a wife and two young children. He was working on his truck and had it improperly supported to just fix something quick and guess what happend, it fell and crushed his head. The shop never reopened and his wife lost a husband and a father to the children. SAFETY! SAFETY! SAFETY! It's your life, do you really want to end it doing something stupid ?
Steve Canzellarini
Myrtle Beach, SC
1989 Prevost XL

Blacksheep

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 03:56:58 AM »
To answer your question, ask yourself, WWJD ?

Offline Tony LEE

• Photo Albums
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 04:46:01 AM »
WWJD

????

Offline oldmansax

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 04:50:57 AM »
I have a MC7 & can get under it anywhere I need to go with the bags completely deflated. I don't routinely do that but I have. If all three tires on one side blow at once, I'm toast. I always block the front because one tire failing there would toast me.

On a related note, if any tire blew while someone was within a few feet of it, they would be seriously injured or killed anyway. Been there, seen that.

TOM
1995 Wanderlodge WB40 current
1985 Wanderlodge PT36
1990 Holiday Rambler
1982 Wanderlodge PT40
1972 MCI MC7

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 04:55:30 AM »
I agree with all the others here, safety first.  However, if you STARTED OUT with the airbags deflated, perhaps I would chance it.

Some years ago, I wanted to drain and flush the aux fuel tank on my 4104.  I was using my leveling system to raise the bus to work on it. Now, I think I would have blocked it up in the end but I must admit I was thinking about it. I mean, It was only going to take a minute to remove the drain plug, right?  While I was gathering my tools, the right front bag blew out with a bang.

I never again considered getting under the bus without every conceivable precaution.  As a matter of fact, when I built my shop, it included a pit because being under the bus just scared the hell out of me.

Don't do it, don't even think about doing it.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline John316

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 05:01:12 AM »
Thanks guys. I think that I got it. All of what you said makes sense. I agree about maybe trying to get under it without blocking, if the bags are deflated from the beginning.

WWJD (what would Jesus do?). Thanks Ace ::). I haven't figured out what he would do yet. Since He is God, I don't think that he would need to work on any bus, or block it up...But I get your point ;D.

Thanks a lot for all of the input! I really appreciate it. When I get a chance I will respond with some closures to my other topics.

God bless,

John

Offline Tony LEE

• Photo Albums
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 05:03:46 AM »
I agree that blocking the bus is sensible, but to do the job properly on an MC8 for instance, would be a major job because there is no part of the body that could reliably hold the weight on say an 8" x 8" block. Placing stops between the air beams and the axle will protect against the airbags deflating suddenly and placing blocks under the axles will protect against a tyre blowout (unlikely to have both duals blow out on the back but could be a problem at the front).
Blocking the bus properly would require 2 pairs of blocks for the front and at least one pair for the back. One block is not going to be a lot of use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal